R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer lights plug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer lights plug
    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 9:01pm
+1 or 2 or 3 to what the others have said. Take it to O'Reilly's or Pep Boys or almost anywhere and they can wire it up for you.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:02pm
Unless you have bare metal showing in the core of the plug, and that metal is visibly scraped away, the plug may still be perfectly usable.  Two tests: plug it in and see if all of the lights do what they're supposed to do, and see if it will physically stay plugged in, assuming you plug it in correctly.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by EchoGale

Lol...you guys have way too much confidence in me. I've had the multi meter for a year and a half and only recently learned used it to test voltage in my battery (I couldn't figure out how it works with all those cryptic symbols and stuff) i certainly couldn't use it to do any part of this. I've never even heard the word termoinsals; so, no, I can't get to them (it?). Believe me, I've been thrifty since before it was cool but sometimes it's worth paying someone with skills.

I do need a little more help, though, on figuring out if my brakes are working. I do not have a "manual slide" on a brake controller my brake controller is built into my computer system.
Please refresh my memory. What tow vehicle do you have? I can't imaging any trailer brake system controller, whether after market or factory installed, not having some form of manual control.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:48pm
The reason I urged the OP to have the plug replaced by a 'pro' is because, if she is unfamiliar with this stuff (she is) and messes something up in the wiring (it could happen) then bad things might occur.

Its an easy fix for some of us, but for others, not so much. 

And yes, I'm also curious about the brake controller with no manual settings.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 6:41am
termoinsals. Never heard of 'em either. Are they some kinda fancy bath salts? LOL

EchoGale, there has to be some way for your brake controller to be adjusted to provide the the right amount of braking action from the trailer. That is generally done with a manual control and the parking lot process I referred to. You can also use the manual control to stop mild trailer sway if you were to ever experience that. I've never seen a brake controller without a manual control either. How did you get it set it up to begin with? 

Podwerks, you are right that you have to be careful when wiring up a connector. But, as long as you don't get the ground connection screwed up nothing bad will happen. Its just annoying because your lights will be messed up till you get it right. I just had that happen to me on my old horse trailer, the connector was old and cracked and fell out, by the time I got home it was just bare wires. The color codes couldn't be used, its a 1980's European trailer. The multimeter can be used to get the ground connection right, after that it was trial and error. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:51am
In your original post you said that a lot of the black rubber was worn away and you didn't know if the medal had been effected, correct?  If that is the case are you describing the "plug" or has the wire itself on the trailer lost some of its black rubber?  If the black rubber on the wire itself has been worn down due to dragging if that is the case then that will also have to be checked and or repaired as needed.  I also would think that any reputable auto repair shop could do the work you need done.  
Jay

179/2019
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:00am
If the rubber on the cable itself is what is worn, then it is very likely that the whole cable will need to be replaced. In that case, the wiring of the plug is moot since a new cable will come with a new plug already attached. Then it becomes a matter of going underneath to the junction where the cable ties into the rest of the wiring.

If you feel uncomfortable doing this, then by all means find someone local who can do this for you. Don't wait on a dealer. Do a search for RV repair and see if there is an independent shop near you which can get to it quicker.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:35am
Thanks for all the help.
The plastic covering on the plug is worn away exposing the metal of the plug. The cord itself is fine.

My tow vehicle is a 2016 BMW X3 with a factory tow package. There is no separate brake controller device. The computer knows when the trailer is plugged in. I bought this used from a non-BMW dealership so they couldn't tell me much about it.  What I know is from the BMW forum.

Julie
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:59am
Sounds to me like there is no brake controller present, only a computer that's able to detect that a trailer is hooked up...and possibly switching automatically to 'tow/haul' mode.

Hmmm.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:09am
Originally posted by offgrid

Podwerks, you are right that you have to be careful when wiring up a connector. But, as long as you don't get the ground connection screwed up nothing bad will happen. 

Wrong.

The ground connection shorting to some other wire IS a bad thing that could happen. Fuses can blow, lights wont work...maybe even a scorched wiring harness or a blown computer. This is what I was referring to. 

Also, if things are not wired correctly, 12 volts from the brake light circuit, for example, might be applied directly to the brake magnets..full power to the brakes with no 'modulation'..just locked up trailer wheels the first time the brake pedal is touched.

Or, the brake circuit might end up powering the AUX connection to the trailer battery...oops...I bet the vehicle ECM wont like that...not at all, especially if the polarity got reversed.

Or, the trailer turn signals could end up reversed...maybe even cause an accident when you 'zig' and the other vehicles in that intersection expect you to 'zag'.

All I'm saying is....it HAS to be done correctly, or, NOT AT ALL. Guessing about the wire positions during replacement, and hoping it is OK, is NOT AN OPTION.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>