FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP-171 Owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP-171 Owners
    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 2:02pm
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would formally introduce myself. I've already posted a few times, pre-purchase. Thank you all for helping my wife and I get comfortable with what has become our very first travel trailer.

We just purchased our brand new 2021 RP-171 from an excellent dealer in Sealy, TX (Cliff Jones RV.) We're located in Austin, TX so it was a bit of drive for us to make the purchase, but Cliff Jones made it painless and took great care of us. Special shout out to the fantastic Princess Craft RV here in Austin though. I would have loved to purchase from them. They've been an excellent resource, even when they didn't have stock of the model we needed. They specialize in small campers and sell a ton of R-PODs. So much so that their accessories are tailored to them in many ways. And their service department are experts. They even produce a fantastic podcast focused on small RVs like our R-PODs that I highly recommend called RV Small Talk.

Our tow vehicle is a 2017 Kia Sedona with a 3500 lbs. tow capacity. We're using a Recurve R3 WDH with friction anti-sway. Specifically the 400 lbs. tongue weight model. I can highly recommend this model as easy to use, and well aligned with the capacities of the trailer and tow vehicle. Our dealer here in Austin (Princess Craft) likes these so much that they stock the uncommon 400 lbs. tongue weight version with a 2" ball. This, as we discovered, is almost impossible to find anywhere else, but they had 12 in stock.

I've used both a tongue weight scale and the BetterWeigh by Curt to check tongue weight loaded and unloaded, as well as total trailer and combined vehicle weight loaded and unloaded and we've found that we're well under our capacity (at least 20% under) with even a fairly heavy load of cargo for our family of 4 + 1 dog. Despite that, we continue to pack carefully and check weights often. I can also confirm that the BetterWeigh tool is not snake oil. When used carefully and properly, it has provided measurements within ±50 lbs. of the tongue weight scale.

Three days after purchase, we took it on a trip to Inks Lake near Austin (a rare opportunity due to a site cancellation,) and we all absolutely loved the experience. The trailer towed extremely well at highway speeds fully loaded, and we had a great weekend swimming and fishing in the August Texas heat. While the RP-171 was definitely tight for our family of 4 (two children under 7,) it was still enjoyable. And I don't even want to think about trying to tent camp as we've done in the past this time of year.

So thanks again to everyone for their advice and posts. I've used this site far more then I've posted to it. The information is invaluable. Looking forward to being part of the community.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 4:22pm
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your family camping in your RPod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:24pm
Welcome. 

Yours is the first rea;l world review of the Betterweigh system I've seen. Have you weighed your rig (not the tongue weight) at a scale for comparison? I've frankly been a bit suspicious that measuring torque converter slip could be accurate enough to substitute for a real weighing....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:49pm
Congratulations!  
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:49pm
Congrats from a former 171 owner!
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 8:07pm
Congrats! 

On mine, I added a few items that greatly increase effective ground clearance. 

I had the dealer install the axle lift blocks, but then I added a jack-e-up (for the tongue jack) and a pair of sav-a-jacks (for the two rear stabilizer jacks).

No worries about hard parts dragging on steep driveway entrances, and I can easily articulate over curbs if need be.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Edward_Larkin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 1:59pm
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes! Special thanks to PilotPodder. I watched a ton of your videos before choosing to make this big purchase. So thank you. That first video walkthrough of yours on the RP-171 was referenced often. We still wish the R-POD's had that older paint style rather then the more muted grey on grey style of today.

And thanks PodWerkz for the recommendations. I've been paranoid about bottoming out as well, though so far, we haven't had that issue once (except for an unfortunate incident when I forgot to bring the tongue jack all the way up.) I have heard, and I can't confirm this, that the latest R-POD models have made standard an older axle riser opption that gives something like 2" more clearance. But I'll keep your recommendations in mind if we start running into any clearance issues (no pun intended.)

The one thing my father and I noticed about the underside of our R-POD is that the fresh water tank is fairly vulnerable to ground debris and rocks kicked back from the tow vehicle. In fact, the whole front edge of the fresh water tank is arrayed with the level sensors, as well as the main water outlet. The sewer pipe holder might afford a bit of protection, but not much. Anyway, that's my bigger concern right now. So much so that I'm considering installing a light mylar shield in front of those sensors and the leading edge of the tank.
2021 RP-171
2017 Kia Sedona
Family of 4

"Let's go have an adventure!"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 2:00pm
On the subject of the BetterWeigh tool, let me clarify a bit. I've not done as detailed of an analysis as I'd like. Not yet anyway. But I've seen enough to feel confident that it has at least some value. Moreover, i'd argue that the value already matches it's $100 price tag (I evaluated it and planned to return it if it wasn't living up to my expectations.

So far, I've done a fairly accurate tongue weight check against a credible tongue weight scale, and I've done a "cargo" weight check inside the vehicle where I knew the exact weight of the cargo. In both cases, the weight was within ±50 lbs. (cargo was within ±20.) I did learn that it's best to let it settle (the measurement is refined as it gets more measurements to generate an average,) and it's best to take a few measurements (there's usually at least one outlier from some unexpected force.)

And I've discovered it to be quite sensitive even to the slightest pressure, which is why settling time and multiple measurements help (and turning off the vehicle for many measurements.) My initial test was on level ground in a large church parking lot on a windy day. But I couldn't get consistent measurements because the wind was moving the tow vehicle enough to severely impact the measurements. It's important to note that many of the measurements work on a calibrated model of suspension travel for the tow vehicle, measured through the tow vehicles change in angle (read by the accelerometer,) due to additional weight added to the vehicle. So wind gusts that gently move the tow vehicle are interpreted as angle changes and can, depending on how soft or firm the suspension is, equate to significant changes in measured weight.

Here are some example measurements I took.

This is a measure of "cargo" weight after calibrating suspension travel. The "cargo" is myself, and I weighted 161 lbs. on the bathroom scale just before I stepped into the third row of my minivan to take this.

This is a pair tongue weight measurements done in succession. My Sherline tongue weight scale was measuring ~300 lbs. at the same time (the scale is purposefully hard to get precise measurements with, so it's hard to be certain.) NOTE: This was the best out of about 5 tests I did, and it was in that windy parking lot. But they were all between about 270 lbs and 340 lbs., with one outlier at almost 390 lbs. Note that my WDH weighs about 85 lbs. and the RP-171 dry tongue weight is specified at 250 lbs., but I never confirmed what its actual dry weight was without my hitch, so I don't have an accurate measure for my specific unit. Still, this all feels "in the ballpark" enough to build some confidence in the device.

After the tongue weight test, I tried out the WDH tuning feature and again, it got pretty close. Note that this was taken a day after purchasing the trailer where the dealer installed and set up the WDH. Judging from a tape measure test, the WDH seemed well set up, and this just seemed to confirm it.

Finally, I don't have any screenshots of the combined vehicle weight measurements that it's capable of because it requires you to accelerate at medium throttle to 15 mph on level ground. I never thought to get a screenshot once I'd slowed down to look at the result. Interestingly, the reason for a maximum 15 mph speed is to ensure you don't shift gears. The tool needs to eliminate any variable gear ratios and there are few to no automatic vehicles on the market that'll shift out of 1st under 15mph when you've got at least half throttle.

In any case, I performed a measurement on my tow vehicle with just me inside and no real cargo and got a little under 5000 lbs. which is about right for our 8 passenger minivan. Later, with a few more humans in the car, I hooked up the trailer (dry) and did the same test. I got a bit under 8000 lbs. (maybe 7800-8000 lbs. or so) which, assuming a 2500 lbs. dry weight (as stated on my sticker from Forest River,) and the addition of the almost 100 lbs. hitch and extra humans again, seems about right.

I didn't get to do more then one measurement for combined weight (one for the tow vehicle, and one for both.) And I really want to because I think a few more measurements would give me a lot more confidence if the numbers converged. And I haven't had a chance to put it on a scale before I do this test.

But again, this isn't a perfect evaluation, but it's enough to make me listen to the numbers it's giving, and given how darn simple and easy it is, made me feel like it was worth it's $100 price tag.

2021 RP-171
2017 Kia Sedona
Family of 4

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 4:23pm
I'm also looking forward to trying out the trailer brake controller calibration feature. Given the way the BetterWeigh works (based on acceleration and angle,) it seems well designed to help tune a brake controller to give you back the same stopping performance of the tow vehicle and no more, or no less.
2021 RP-171
2017 Kia Sedona
Family of 4

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 4:59pm
By the way on the front of the fresh tank I re-routed the low hanging tubes and pipes...a couple of them actually hung way below the axle....what idiot at the factory thinks THAT is a good idea?
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>