FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP-171 Owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP-171 Owners
    Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Edward_Larkin

I'll add that, for this specific test, the device might not need a truly "level" surface (as in, no roll,) but the grade must be even across all three axles, which is how you can ensure your WDH is not artificially loaded or unloaded by variation in grade between axles. Still, if your TV was on level ground, but your trailer was, for example, on a grade, putting the TV in neutral would cause it to roll, so the test method of no roll in neutral is sound for both getting true level, and getting zero grade change.

The real world is dynamic and the pressure of the WDH will vary wildly going down the road. But, that doesn't change the fact that, as a starting point at least, setting it up on level ground to restore unladen TV trim is best. And the BetterWeigh does a fine job at that. Admittedly, a tape measure looking at the height of your wheel wells works just as good, and costs way less. So, I wouldn't buy this just for the WDH capability. But it's a nice touch.

I agree that if the device is measuring the difference in TV axle heights with and without the wdh tensioned then the rig really wouldn't need to be dead flat, but it would need to be on a planar surface. I was surprised how much difference in axle load a very small height change in the surface made, so I do have my doubts that "not rolling" alone would be good enough. 

You can get the front axle back to its unloaded condition with a wdh but not the TV rear axle, which will inevitably have more load on it with the trailer attached. The tongue weight has to go somewhere. So some TV squat is fine and expected. 

You might want to put your numbers in this calculator and try adjusting the assumed wdh tension, I found it helpful to understand what was going on. If you reduce the trailer weight to say 1 lb you can also see what the TV would be by itself. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:18pm
It's all voodoo, smoke and mirrors....
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Edward_Larkin

Interesting. I thought Torque was an OBDII dongle plus app. But it's just the app and you can pair it with a range of OBDII readers, right?

Then that's very similar to my Go Point solution. I use it with Dash Command on my iPhone. I think it's basically the exact same thing. I do really like it. Tons of useful info.
Correct. Torque is just the app. A good quality OBDII reader that communicates via Bluetooth is required.

My driveway is sloped in two directions. If I have my RPod leveled, then it and the Frontier are not lined up side-to-side as well as front-to-back. I keep my RPod leveled because it makes things easier when I go to get the refrigerator cooling in preparation for travel. Iwill likely take it to a level parking lot somewhere, disconnect and then use the Better Weigh to set things up and then switch back to the OBDII dongle. Right now, I have that on a cable so it does not become a target for my feet or knees. I may get a splitter instead.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
garyg4210 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 10:18am
Hi there!  It looks like we got in just under the wire and our new 2021 171 is due to be delivered in the next couple of weeks.  Once we get it, the plan is to take a short test camp to try it out and see what else we need and then to drive it from our home in Virginia cross country.  We are planning to use our 2014 BMW X3 (3.5 engine which has 300hp/300 torque) to pull it.  The BMW has a hitch on it which we use to pull our boat and motorcycle trailer.  The hitch was installed by U-haul several years ago with a 4 pin connector which I recently changed to a 7 pin to accommodate the Rpod.  I also purchased a Curt bluetooth brake controller so that I wouldn't have to run a wire for the brakes to a wired controller.

Has anyone used a similar configuration or have experience with the bluetooth controller?  I can't find anything definitive, but the information on the BMW OEM hitch and wiring says not to use a WDH, so I'm assuming that I shouldn't as well.  There's nothing about anti sway.  Any suggestions?  I'm thinking that I can try it without it and see how it works and can always add it on later.

I've been going through this forum and have picked up lots of good information.  So, thank you all and I look forward to joining the "club".
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 10:36am
What is the trailer weight rating on that vehicle? Is it unibody? Front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, all wheel drive?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
garyg4210 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 11:04am
Trailer weight rating is 3500.  It is unibody with all wheel drive.  It pulls the boat (18 ft boat with 23ft trailer, 2500 lbs) easily.

mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 11:23am
I don't think you'll pull the pod easily, but many use a 3500 tow capacity to pull a 171, so it's not impossible. I'd say with 300 h.p and 300 #'s torque, you should be ok. Hopefully your payload can handle the tongue, and added cargo weight. Just be sure when hitched it's not squatting in the rear. You clearly want your steering wheels making solid contact with the ground.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by garyg4210

....and then to drive it from our home in Virginia cross country.  We are planning to use our 2014 BMW X3 (3.5 engine which has 300hp/300 torque) to pull it.  

Neither you nor the car will enjoy this. 

When you hit the tall mountain ranges out here in the west, be sure to have your roadside assistance on speed dial.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 4:37pm
Just don't try to be the first one up the mountain and you should be okay. With AWD, you should be okay. I don't know if SumoSprings makes something suitable for the BMW, but a set of those would help with the rear-end squat of the BMW without requiring a WDH. In any case, you would be wise to consider some form of sway control. I have the Hays Sway-Master electronic Sway Control. There are other options such as the ones from Lippert and Tuson.

In addition to the hitch, you would also do well to add a transmission cooler if the BMW does not already have one.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
garyg4210 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 10:34pm
Does the hayes also act as the brake controller or would I still need a separate unit?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>