Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Cordless Lawn Mower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Cordless Lawn Mower
    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 5:17pm
I bought an electric cordless lawn mower today. I'm so sick of pulling that cord and it won't start. Normally because the gas is foul. Well, no more gas to go bad, or oil. It's quiet as heck, and it did a really nice job on the lawn. It's a Kobalt 80-volt Max Brushless Lithium Ion Self-propelled 21-in Cordless Electric Lawn Mower. A little steep on cost, but nice mower. Anybody have one? Like it? 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 6:23pm
No. I had a plug-in electric mower once and did not like it because the blade was so thin to keep it light. The blade didn't hold up well, especially if one hit a root. Hopefully, the cordless mower holds up well and works well for you.

As for gasoline mowers, always buy no-ethanol gasoline and then add gasoline stabilizer to it. It makes all the difference in the world. I don't care that the manufacturers say that 10% ethanol is okay. Maybe until the warranty expires, but it will cause problems unless one drains the gasoline and runs the carburetor dry after every use. Ethanol attracts moisture which then promotes gumming up the carburetor. No-ethanol gasoline does not have that issue and if stabilizer is used, holds up well, even if it is left in the tank for extended periods. This applies for string trimmers and other 2 cycle engines that use gas-oil mix also. It really is applicable for gasoline powered generators also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 7:19pm
I don't have the Kobalt one but I got an Ego cordless self propelled one this spring at THD,been using it all year.

By far the best walk behind mower I ever had. I will never go back to gasoline, I honestly don't know why anyone would. Quiet, no gas to buy, no fuel contamination, no maintenance of any kind except the blades. Its so quiet I feel OK mowing at 7am when its nice and cool bc I'm not bothering the neighbors, 

I have a steep half acre to mow so I need self propelled. The mower runs longer than I do, I just put the batt in the charger when I take a break. I got the Ego string trimmer too. The auto rewind feature is fantastic. takes 10 seconds to install new string in it. First time I did it it was why didn't anyone think of that before, but you couldn't do it with a gas motor. 

I no longer have gasoline at the house at all except in my cars, my backup/rpod genny runs on propane, and all my power tools are electric. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I don't have the Kobalt one but I got an Ego cordless self propelled one this spring at THD,been using it all year.

By far the best walk behind mower I ever had. I will never go back to gasoline, I honestly don't know why anyone would. Quiet, no gas to buy, no fuel contamination, no maintenance of any kind except the blades. Its so quiet I feel OK mowing at 7am when its nice and cool bc I'm not bothering the neighbors, 

I have a steep half acre to mow so I need self propelled. The mower runs longer than I do, I just put the batt in the charger when I take a break. I got the Ego string trimmer too. The auto rewind feature is fantastic. takes 10 seconds to install new string in it. First time I did it it was why didn't anyone think of that before, but you couldn't do it with a gas motor. 

I no longer have gasoline at the house at all except in my cars, my backup/rpod genny runs on propane, and all my power tools are electric. Working on the cars next LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 5:49am
As Stephen H states, no ethanol, or as we call it in Michigan RV gas is the 'go to' for any mower, two cycle, log splitter, leaf blower, chain saws, string trimmer or similar.  It is basically the gas we bought in the 1950's through much of the 1970's.  A neighbor of mine had a 5 gallon container of RV gas sitting in his garage for over 4 years and wanted to get rid of it.  As an experiment I emptied the fuel in my log splitter out into my RV gas can, put in his "old" gas and pulled on the cord 2x with the choke on; fired right up and ran sweet as I split wood.  My leaf blower is a 24 year old Honda with a 8.5 HP engine.  Many years it will sit for 50 weeks and as I go to start it, often it will start on the first pull with the choke on.  No Stabil or other additives, RV gas you cannot beat.  Guess I have been fortunate not having to pull on a cord until I am wore out. By using RV gas, if it doesn't start you can be sure the problem lies not with the fuel, but with something else.  And with 3+ acres to mow on 20 acres of property, that would require either a lot of extension cord or more than a couple batteries.  And on the electric cooperative I am with, cost per KWH is 23.3 cents.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 6:31am
For my 24 acres, I'm getting a tractor, probably a diesel, for sure. Electric isn't ready for that yet. 

But for a half an acre in suburbia, absolutely its there. No reason for gasoline anymore. I have a nice electric chainsaw, slabbed up 3 large cherry trees this spring, no problem at all. If you haven't tried out the new electric trimmers and mowers and you're in the market by all means take a look. 

Even at 24 cents per kwh electric is cheaper than gasoline, but the energy cost is really insignificant either way. Reliability, maintenance, convenience, pollution, and noise are much bigger factors. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 10:06am

By far the best walk behind mower I ever had. I will never go back to gasoline, I honestly don't know why anyone would. Quiet, no gas to buy, no fuel contamination, no maintenance of any kind except the blades. Its so quiet I feel OK mowing at 7am when its nice and cool bc I'm not bothering the neighbors ...

Have two EGO mowers and a leaf blower.  Love all of them...great the way the batteries work in any EGO product.  Ditto on the early-morning mowing...nice and cool out then.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 1:11pm

For my 24 acres, I'm getting a tractor, probably a diesel, for sure. Electric isn't ready for that yet. 

But for a half an acre in suburbia, absolutely its there. No reason for gasoline anymore. I have a nice electric chainsaw, slabbed up 3 large cherry trees this spring, no problem at all. If you haven't tried out the new electric trimmers and mowers and you're in the market by all means take a look. 

Even at 24 cents per kwh electric is cheaper than gasoline, but the energy cost is really insignificant either way. Reliability, maintenance, convenience, pollution, and noise are much bigger factors. 
The area around the house is 2-1/2 to 3 acres and is sloped enough to require a self-propelled mower. Can't do that yet with battery or corded, so we have a 36" dual-blade self-propelled mower we use for that. For the other 36 acres we use the tractor. I always add stabilizer to the fuel in the mower AND I run it dry every time I shut it down so there is nothing to gum up in the carburetor. We also brush cut along the driveway, which is about 3/4 mile long, so that is also tractor work.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:21pm
I had never heard of EGO brand cordless electric tools....hmm...very interesting....I am kinda in the market for a good weedeater...but in the past, having owned a few little 2 stroke weedeaters over the years...some of them last a while, others dont...some are easy to start, some aren't....I have been considering a cordless electric model...perhaps the Ryobi 40v tools...or these EGO tools...does someone want to let me test drive both?

Tongue

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:32pm
We have a pair of Stihl FS260 weed whackers (AKA brush cutters). We bought both of them about 10 years ago, and they are still going strong.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>