FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Cordless Lawn Mower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Cordless Lawn Mower
    Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 11:46pm
What do you expect, it's German made so it's got to be good
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 5:31am
Little 4 stroke engines are bad enough but I have been known to fling 2 smoker weedwhackers down the hill in the past when they fail to start. They spin really nice through the air, very satisfying đź‘Ť

Can’t speak for the Ryobi but the Ego string trimmer is an excellent tool. Check out the string replacement feature online. Works great. Podwerks, if you want to make the trip to SWVA I’d by happy to let you whack away to your hearts content.

I can certainly see a purpose for fueled mowers for larger acreages but not for string trimmers. The Ego does the whole acre perimeter landscaped yard area around our new place and the 800 ft drive on 2 charges. Easily an hour per charge or more, not sure because I’ve never run out, I just like taking a break after an hour or so trimming anyway. If you really wanted to keep going all day nonstop then just get a second battery.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 1:14pm
I have a large, broad, berm out front, parallel with the bar ditch, with a deep rut that runs in the 'V' of the ditch, that is literally at about a 45 degree angle and I need to be able to attack that with a handheld (so to speak) brush cutter, weedwacker, whatever. My riding mower is not the right tool for this job. Neither would a push mower work. I need to be able to walk along and knock the weeds down. 

The county hits it with a team of large Kubota mowing tractors, about once or twice a year. These guys have large articulating mowing decks with 'wings' that have hydraulics and they cut the 2-4 foot tall weeds on angled berms and culverts with no problems...but they are on some kind of contract with the county, and they are from Waco and...anyway....I need something that will work, in between the jobs that the 'pros' do once or twice per season.

The little cheap weed-eaters are just not enough hardware...I need something that is on a shoulder or body harness or sling, with a head that can be angled or twisted to get in and 'tear it up!'

Gonna cost money... I know that!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 1:53pm
You need one of these. Plus you can put on your lederhosen and yodel while running it by remote control....LOL

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I can certainly see a purpose for fueled mowers for larger acreages but not for string trimmers. The Ego does the whole acre perimeter landscaped yard area around our new place and the 800 ft drive on 2 charges. Easily an hour per charge or more, not sure because I’ve never run out, I just like taking a break after an hour or so trimming anyway. If you really wanted to keep going all day nonstop then just get a second battery.
The slope to the south of our house is roughly 2-1/2 acres with a 45 degree slope (100% grade). It is approximately 24 hours of labor for someone in extremely good shape using one (or both) of our Stihl brush cutters. It is largely grass, but there are significant portions with Yellow Star Thistle, Italian Thistle, Bull Thistle, and Mustard. None of those can be cut with wimpy string trimmers. We use a heavy duty cord that is 0.155" diameter. We have to change line about once per tank load. A tank load will last between an hour and 90 minutes. The good news is it just needs to be done once per year if you time it correctly.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by offgrid

You need one of these. Plus you can put on your lederhosen and yodel while running it by remote control....LOL

Next up: Julie Andrews in, 'The Sound of Mowing'...

I bet my local John Deere stealership has several on the showroom floor. I'll head that way next week.

Clap
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 4:15pm
Sorry.. You guys are killing' me.. Why walk when you can ride? 

When electric hits the point that I can pull that stump or split all that wood.. and still mow/plow, I'm interested. Well, cost comes into mind...

I'm at a kilowatt of solar and will not move further till it makes sense... 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Sorry.. You guys are killing' me.. Why walk when you can ride? 

When electric hits the point that I can pull that stump or split all that wood.. and still mow/plow, I'm interested. Well, cost comes into mind...

I'm at a kilowatt of solar and will not move further till it makes sense... 

'Cause when you're on a 30 degree plus slope you don't want to be sitting on something that can roll over on you.  Better to be walking behind or even better standing 50 feet away and running it by remote control. Ideal would be an autonomous mower that you just let run by itself.

I agree as for mowing pastures, plowing, etc. Electric isn't there yet as I said. 

As for solar, its pretty much no brainer these days to put in a grid tied system for your residence especially if you can do it DIY and are in a net metering location. You get a 26% federal tax credit and the utility company is your battery. Investment payback is a few years at most. What's not to like? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 10:24am
check out the Stihl self propelled electric mower.  Runs about an hour, even with bagging the clippings for garden mulch.  Then it is time for coffeee while the battery recharges.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 10:55am
Solar might be a "no-brainer" if the orientation of the house and shading from trees allow for adequate sunshine on panels. In my case, neither is suitable due to the orientation of the house and that we live in an area with large trees. I can't pick the house up and rotate it for better orientation, but I have had a few trees cut. Neighbors have tall trees too that make solar unfeasible for us.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>