Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCalifornia Fire Impacts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: California Fire Impacts
    Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 7:15am
Following the Santa Cruz County fires situation because I used to work at Big Basin and Henry Cowell Parks while in college. Apparently the core of Big Basin, CA's oldest state park with some of the largest remaining old growth redwood forests, has suffered major damage.  Butano Park as well I think, and Portola is threatened. Waddell Creek on the coast. 

All of northern SC county under evacuation orders down to the Santa Cruz city limits on the coast, including the San Lorenzo Valley down as far as Ben Lomond. 

Any updates on other fire impacts?

How are our CA members fairing? Anyone evacuated? Everyone safe? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 10:27am
We are in the current evac zone. We got the notice at around 11:30 PM Monday, packed up our essentials strapped on the Rpod, and made our way to relatives (where we are now) in Portola Valley. We got to Saratoga at about 3:30 AM, and "set up camp" at the Chateau de CVS. We were immediately greeted by 3 squad cars and a half dozen officers who could see we were exhausted. They told us to make ourselves comfortable and get some rest. In the morning, employees from the shopping center Safeway store stopped by to give us a large bag of bottled water.

A friend told us last night that the visitor's center at Big Basin has been destroyed. The VC is in a relatively open area near the road, so if that's gone, I'm imagining the other structures in that area are destroyed as well.

We have many friends in Loma Mar, Pescadero, Boulder Creek, and so on, and so on. They are all under evac orders as far as we know. I have friends who operate communications facilities in Bonny Doon, and I'm pretty sure those are badly damaged if not destroyed.

The fires (there are dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of little fires created all over the area by lightning strikes mostly on Sunday morning) have conjoined into a large "complex", which is now called the "CZU August Lightning Complex". The body of the conflagration is moving generally in the south easterly direction. I think our area was evacuated out of an abundance of caution, as we are in the very northeast corner of the evac zone. The fact of the matter is that there are many, many fires all over the state. When the lightning storm hit our area, most of our local resources were elsewhere doing mutual aid. There was not much available in our local area to deal with this when it happened. The fires popped up as (probably) hundreds of little fires, and before you knew it, fire was everywhere.

The CZU Complex, was 1,000 acres on Monday morning, then 10,000 acres Tuesday morning. By yesterday morning it was over 25,000 acres. When fires grow that fast, there is not much humans can do. We were watching helicopters doing drops on Tuesday, and they were like tiny specks against a backdrop of flame and smoke.

Good news this morning is that temperatures have dropped significantly. Where yesterday we hit a high of around 97, the temp this morning is 60. It's likely cooler near the coast where the complex is. Don't know much more than that, will let y'all know after I've collected myself. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 10:35am
Thank you for the information and update. I'm glad you're physically safe but, with your concerns for everyone else, I know that that's only part of it. Please do keep up posted.
Julie
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 12:30pm
Retired Forest Service Firefighter here.  I keep up on the latest wild fire news with these web sites.

National Interagency Coordination Center (NICC), www.nifc.gov/nicc/information/information.htm
Direct link to the daily Situation Report, www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf
National Smoke Jumper Association, smokejumpers.com/index.php/home/getall
Direct link to "Smoke Jumper magazine, smokejumpers.com/index.php/smokejumpermagazine
InCciweb, Incident information System,  Zoom in on the map to find a fire, inciweb.nwcg.gov/
2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 2:38pm
Thank you for the update and I'm glad you are safe. I hope weather conditions stay cool and the firefighters can begin to get these under control. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 2:52pm
I too know folks in the San Lorenzo valley area. Very sad about BIg Basin, it’s hard to fathom really. Felton has been added to the evacuation area now and the evac zone extends all the way to Santa Cruz City limits on the west side. The videos of the explosive pyrocumulus buildups are just crazy. Please keep us posted.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 10:48am
This is us at the Chateau de CVS

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 12:58pm
Evacuation zone from the San Mateo/Santa Cruz fire is now basically bordered on the west by La Honda Rd, north by Skyline Dr, east by Highway 17, and south by the Pacific Ocean, excepting Santa Cruz city. 64,000 people.  They are being cautious but I suppose also just want everyone out of the area so they can move equipment and personnel efficiently. There is some pretty rough country in there, steep and narrow roads and not many of them. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 6:06am
Been following the CZU Lightning Complex fires closely.

Niece, Nephew-in-law and grand nephew have home (their first) in Lompico. They evacuated to Air bnb in Salinas.

Fireline is holding west of Route 9 so far. Boulder Creek is under siege, but hanging on...barely.

Very slow moving fire so far. Winds are very light, making Route 9 a good fire break. Unfortunately, looks like more lightning storms the next few days.

Scary stuff.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:32am
The fire would have to burn clear through Ben Lomond first to move into Zayante/Lompico so your niece's family property has a good shot at surviving this fire. 

But with the entire area becoming hotter and drier due to climate change, combined with fire suppression for many decades allowing undergrowth and duff to build up, the whole area is at risk in the next few years. There is also now an invasive pathogen that was brought in on ornamental plants which causes sudden oak death, leaving dead standing oak and tanoak trees to add fuel to the fires.  

I worked for the Cal Dept of Parks out of Big Basin and Henry Cowell for several years and had some firsthand experience fighting fires in those forests. Redwood duff can be many feet thick and allows fires to burn sideways under the surface to pop up again many feet away from where the original flames were. Its really kinda surreal to experience it happening, kinda like a video game where enemies come back to life after you kill them, and really hard and very labor intensive to put out, one reason small fires tend to become big ones there before they can be stopped. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply