Topic ClosedR-pod192 - Event Date: 22 Aug 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ronster View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: R-pod192
    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 5:47pm
I also just got my R-Pod 192. I'm having the same problem with the brakes. The brakes do operate but don't seem to be operating fully. In fact when operated manually they will not even hold back my idling 2019 Frontier. Had the controller check out and took the trailer in for repair.  The dealer checked and adjusted the brakes and sent me on my way.  Still no improvement in the brakes. I even operated the brake away switch with no power connection to the trailer. I was able to idle right on down the street.
 Camp4life, have you rechecked you breaks?
I have not checked the temperature on the drums yet, that's next.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 6:42am
Welcome.

Please do be cautious and keep your load down as low as possible in the trailer and Toyota. That is a very heavy trailer for your tow vehicle. I tow with the same vehicle, I assume you have AWD and a 5000 lb tow rating, as I do.  I'm not talking about horsepower, that's fine. You can easily go over your weight limitations especially if you plan to boondock. I suggest that you weigh your rig loaded for camping and see what you really have. if you do a search here you will find weighing procedures you can use. You need to check gross combined vehicle weight and tongue weight as well as trailer weight. Also, consider getting  weight distribution hitch if you haven't already. 

Its not unusual to have imbalanced or misadjusted trailer brakes. They are 1940's drum brake technology.  You can check you trailer brake adjustment by making a few stops from 30-40 mph down to 10-15 mph on a flat empty roadway using only the manual control on your brake controller. Then, pull over and check how hot the trailer brake drums are. They should both be about equally hot but not smoking hot. If the rig doesn't slow down, if either drum is still cold or one is really hot you have a problem. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Camp4life View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 12:06am
Just picked up our new 2020 R-Pod 192.   Fantastic floor plan with the full size Murphy bed.  Towed well with a 2019 Toyota Highlander through  the Canadian Rockies ( Red Deer AB to Kelowna BC - with overnights in Banff and Revelstoke.   Avg fuel economy was 15.9L/100km.   Had an issue with the brakes not working well enough when leaving the dealership.  Originally thought it was the brake controller.  However after testing with another vehicle it was determined it was actually the trailer.  The dealer was great and adjusted the brakes - The trailer brakes are  also are self adjusting.   

Looking forward to our next adventure! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12