Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-pod192 - Event Date: 22 Aug 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: R-pod192
    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 12:06am
Just picked up our new 2020 R-Pod 192.   Fantastic floor plan with the full size Murphy bed.  Towed well with a 2019 Toyota Highlander through  the Canadian Rockies ( Red Deer AB to Kelowna BC - with overnights in Banff and Revelstoke.   Avg fuel economy was 15.9L/100km.   Had an issue with the brakes not working well enough when leaving the dealership.  Originally thought it was the brake controller.  However after testing with another vehicle it was determined it was actually the trailer.  The dealer was great and adjusted the brakes - The trailer brakes are  also are self adjusting.   

Looking forward to our next adventure! 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 6:42am
Welcome.

Please do be cautious and keep your load down as low as possible in the trailer and Toyota. That is a very heavy trailer for your tow vehicle. I tow with the same vehicle, I assume you have AWD and a 5000 lb tow rating, as I do.  I'm not talking about horsepower, that's fine. You can easily go over your weight limitations especially if you plan to boondock. I suggest that you weigh your rig loaded for camping and see what you really have. if you do a search here you will find weighing procedures you can use. You need to check gross combined vehicle weight and tongue weight as well as trailer weight. Also, consider getting  weight distribution hitch if you haven't already. 

Its not unusual to have imbalanced or misadjusted trailer brakes. They are 1940's drum brake technology.  You can check you trailer brake adjustment by making a few stops from 30-40 mph down to 10-15 mph on a flat empty roadway using only the manual control on your brake controller. Then, pull over and check how hot the trailer brake drums are. They should both be about equally hot but not smoking hot. If the rig doesn't slow down, if either drum is still cold or one is really hot you have a problem. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ronster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 5:47pm
I also just got my R-Pod 192. I'm having the same problem with the brakes. The brakes do operate but don't seem to be operating fully. In fact when operated manually they will not even hold back my idling 2019 Frontier. Had the controller check out and took the trailer in for repair.  The dealer checked and adjusted the brakes and sent me on my way.  Still no improvement in the brakes. I even operated the brake away switch with no power connection to the trailer. I was able to idle right on down the street.
 Camp4life, have you rechecked you breaks?
I have not checked the temperature on the drums yet, that's next.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 7:02pm
Its not unusual for rpod  trailer brakes to not be able to fully stop the rig, they are pretty small brake shoes.  If they pass the temp test slowing down the rig  from 40 or so to 15 a few times using the manual control then set your brake controller at max voltage and most aggressive action (B3 on Tekonsha) and try a longish downhill grade, using engine braking as appropriate. If the temp of all 6 brakes is similar then that's about the best you can do. If the trailer brakes are getting hotter than the TV brakes (especially the TV rears which tend to run the hottest on modern vehicles while towing) then back off to B2). An IR thermometer makes this this test pretty easy. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Camp4life View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 11:50pm
Yes I held the brake controller manually all the way and my vehicle and trailer kept going.  I then pulled the emergency stop pin.  Same thing kept going.  

The dealer jacked the trailer up and adjusted the brakes. Think they tightened drum or star wheel.  Not exactly sure.   Anyhow it did improve after driving.  
Camp4life View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 11:55pm
The shop I took my vehicle to test the brake controller.  Took the trailer for a test drive with his own GMC Sierra. He had the same issue.  That’s how we determined it was the trailer that needed adjusting.  

Works good now.  Really like the trailer.  
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 7:43am
 Adjusting the brake manually is actually pretty easy if you can lie on your back. Make sure the trailer cannot roll (wheel chocks or connected to the tow vehicle).
Jack up the trailer side you want to adjust (get the tire off he ground).
Behind the drum on the bottom there is a slot, sometimes a rubber boot on the slot, sometimes not.
Shine a flashlight into the slot you should see the star wheel. Use a big flat blade screwdriver to adjust. Spin the trailer wheel. Adjust the star wheel until the tire drags a bit while spinning and you're done. 
if you go the wrong way with the star adjuster for a full revolution or so, go the other way until you get drag.

I have a dual axles, 4 drum brake trailer, and even adjusted for perfect drag, it will NOT lock up doing the manual break controller drag down test. Regardless of voltage output adjustment of the trailer break controller. But at 8 volts, I can use the manual brake control lever and it will stop me without using the tow vehicle brakes while heading down a decent steep hill. It takes a while though!! Braking distance is huge using only the trailer brakes!!

When you stop with firm tow vehicle pedal pressure, the trailer should feel like you are getting pushed heavily. The R-Pod should take care of itself pretty well.

AS always YouTube has a million great videos on how to adjust brakes and what to check. A newer trailer shouldn't have any pad wear yet, but some break-in of the pads will be needed, maybe a couple dozen firm stops to bed them in. Good Luck!!
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:14am
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

Adjusting the brake manually is actually pretty easy if you can lie on your back. Make sure the trailer cannot roll (wheel chocks or connected to the tow vehicle).
Jack up the trailer side you want to adjust (get the tire off he ground).
Behind the drum on the bottom there is a slot, sometimes a rubber boot on the slot, sometimes not.
Shine a flashlight into the slot you should see the star wheel. Use a big flat blade screwdriver to adjust. Spin the trailer wheel. Adjust the star wheel until the tire drags a bit while spinning and you're done. 
if you go the wrong way with the star adjuster for a full revolution or so, go the other way until you get drag.

This describes adjustment when the brakes aren't self-adjusting. For self-adjusting brakes like the rPods have, there is a little locking tang keeping the adjusting star from backing off. If the brakes are too tight, you have to put two screwdrivers in the hole, a small one to move the tang up and out of the way, another to adjust the star itself. 

The point is, don't overtighten the brakes and expect to easily back them off, be sure you're going the right direction. If the self adjustment system is working they should already be correctly adjusted anyway after making a few stops. Also, a brake adjusting spoon works better than a screwdriver, they're only a few bucks. 

I have a dual axles, 4 drum brake trailer, and even adjusted for perfect drag, it will NOT lock up doing the manual break controller drag down test. Regardless of voltage output adjustment of the trailer break controller. But at 8 volts, I can use the manual brake control lever and it will stop me without using the tow vehicle brakes while heading down a decent steep hill. It takes a while though!! Braking distance is huge using only the trailer brakes!!

If your trailer brakes are not locking up even at full voltage, that is the correct setting. In an emergency stop you want as much braking action as possible, which means as much as you can get without locking up. Once a wheel locks up its braking action is reduced.  So, set the max voltage based on the "incipient lockup" procedure, and if you still can't lock up at full voltage, which is the case for most rPods, leave the controller set at full voltage. 

The "boost" adjustment is the one to use to get the level of braking you want depending on conditions. That sets how aggressively the trailer brakes are energized when you decelerate or descend a grade. If I'm going down some long grades I set that higher so the trailer brakes do more of the work (and use engine braking as much as possible) On the flats I set it lower.  

When you stop with firm tow vehicle pedal pressure, the trailer should feel like you are getting pushed heavily. The R-Pod should take care of itself pretty well.

If you are stopping aggressively and the trailer is pushing the TV then the max voltage setting on the controller is probably set too low. That pushing is not good as it means your emergency stops will be longer than they could be. 

AS always YouTube has a million great videos on how to adjust brakes and what to check. A newer trailer shouldn't have any pad wear yet, but some break-in of the pads will be needed, maybe a couple dozen firm stops to bed them in. Good Luck!!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 10:56am
A couple of additional points, these do not conflict with the above, only adding to the information.

Brand new electric brakes are a bit wimpy until they are fully 'bedded in'...they will grab better as you use them and get them broken in. 

Many times the tow vehicle automatic transmission and engine have enough low-speed torque to keep on pulling an r-pod with new electric brakes fully applied even when idling. This does not mean they are not working right.

Do this: Find a smooth, level, safe, dirt road with no traffic and while driving with your windows open at less than about 5-10 mph, fully engage the brand new trailer brakes manually with the brake controller lever only...you should hear scratching on the dirt, both trailer wheels should be able to lock up, and after the brakes wear in, even a slight application of the brake lever will (or should) lock up both trailer wheels. Release the lever as soon as you hear those tires scratching back there. If you get stopped and want to verify that both wheels locked up, get out and go look at the scratch marks on the dirt. 

Again, go SLOWLY for this test. DO NOT do this above about 15 mph! You do NOT want to jacknife the trailer!

You can repeat this test later on, as you have put on more miles and more stops, and you will notice an improvement in braking action, assuming they are working right and bedding in. 

BTW it is NORMAL to have a slight imbalance in braking action between the two sides, since the auto-slacks and star wheel don't operate simultaneously to take up excess slack on the same day or even the same trip. Be patient. 

As OG stated, electric trailer brakes are OLD SCHOOL....and they will always act like it. 

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Ronster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 12:00pm
Thanks for the info.
Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>