R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReturning to R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Returning to R-Pod
    Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:17am
Good morning.. I was one of the first members a couple of years ago when I was hoping to purchase an R-Pod. At the time I drove a Forester and the dealer, in very admirable honesty, advised me that the tow limit was too close and he felt not safe for me (woman alone). So I bought a 13' Scamp which is a great little trailer but I find it too small. I now have a larger car and am planning to sell the Scamp and move up to the Pod. I have joined this group again so that I can find out which model to choose and what the pros and cons are. I think I will head up to Connecticut tomorrow to a local dealer there who carries the Pod and just look around until I sell the Scamp. I will keep an eye out for Pods in this area but have not seen any on the roads this summer.

Brewsterivy
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:43am
Welcome back!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 8:17am
Welcome back!  They've added a few more floorplans than when you were last looking (if it was a couple years ago).  They now have 3 models that have pop outs, they weigh a little more but still very light weight (about 500lbs heavier than the plan w/o the pop out).   The pop outs will give you an extra couple feet width in the center and just makes it look bigger when you're inside.   

They also have a couple new models that have a tent pop out in the back for an extra bed.  They call them Expandables.  Check out their floor plans:

Happy R-Pod hunting :)
RP-177
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 9:44am
Welcome back to the forum! We are two women and a dog travelling in a 171, and we are very happy with it. Looked at the same floorplan with a slideout, which makes it a bit more spacious, but did not want the potential of problems with a slideout or the extra weight. Surely you will find a plan to fit your needs and wishes. The forum has lots of great ideas and many people willing to answer questions and give help with technical stuff. Good Hunting!!
F150/R-pod171
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:12pm
I haven't been on the forest River web site in a LONG time but you may want to go there and look at the floor plans.  Just remember a slid out and a pop out are 2 different things.  A slide out doesn't pop and a pop out doesn't slide!LOL

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:07am
Welcome back Visit often!
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 2:29pm
I have the 171 pulled by Ford Edge.  Came out of diseal pusher with slide outs some years ago after camping in tents for 17 years,(husband was DONE with the hassle, his words, not mine) Went out and bought a 3 man tent since I intend to continue camping, one way or the other. Brother in law had been in 5th wheels for years, got himself a Rialta (and he is willing to take care of the problems that come with them), the husband started looking at some himself, almost got one, but backed out at last minute. He said he would fix me up with something(within reason) that he could read up on and check out. I started with the teardrop, but did want to stand up. Saw the T@B, then happened onto the web site of the Pod. Love at first sight. Goggled to find a dealer near me, found out the one that had sold us our motorhomes for years now carry them. We looked and bought in the same DAY!, Unheard of in our household. I saw all models. Since most of the time it will be just be me and the dog, the 171 fit the bill. I wanted to hear if any problems had arisen with slide-outs, they have to be good ones so leaks don't occur. Did not need that extra room. Was driving an Audi A3 at the time with a Forester in the garage, neither was good for comfortable towing.  Traded the Forester in for Edge, without the extra weight of the slide out, the Edge is good.
And I LOVE the POD. I had not believed or paid attention to the PR about the attention it attracts!
I think Pod People must be extraverts. Women think it is soooo cute, men are curious.
Like anything else, there are things we would like to see attended to, but for the most part, it is great.
And I took on learning to hook-up , tow, dump, etc. all at once. Never had done any of it, took care of inside of motorhomes, drove only on interstates. This is a learning curve, if done with care, makes an older person like me proud, my children amazed and the grands Wowed!!

I love the looks of the vintage campers, I have to give the Sisters a large hand at what they do. And the most wonderful ideas and fun.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
FuzzySproket View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 1:58am
We bought our 174 from Hemlock Hill RV in Southington CT From Peter. We had gone there to look into renting a pop up. They had the R-Pods on the lot so we were able to look at a bunch of different models, we checked out Pop ups and several bigger trailers, but at the end of the day we really liked the R-pod as did a bunch of other people, there was a lot of traffic checking them out. We went with the 174 cause of the slide out and the couch / bed. We didn't like the bunk beds and I'm not crazy with the canvas sides of the other units.

I really like them there was no pressure on the selling end and the office staff was excellent helping us with the financing paper work. Picking up the unit was great as they covered all the items on the check list and answered all our questions. On the service side I had a bad CO detector in the unit kept chirping even after two battery changes, I called them and they said I could bring in the trailer or detector which ever I was comfortable with and they would fix it. I would recommend them with no problem.

Tom & Cindy
2010 174 RPod
2013 Ford F250
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 9:53am
Let me relay this story, might be interesting for some and save time and some money.
This was in connection with the PROPANE GAS DECTECTOR
Our "check-out" man for the Pod told this to us.
One of their customers, with a Pod, was having the cherp, brought the Pod in, the dealer replaced the part.  Few days later the same man called to say it was cherping again.
He was told not to touch a thing that was in the Pod, not to move anything out, just bring as it was, cherping.
Come to find out it was the dried dog food stored in that area. It was emitting something(and this goes into our animals).

When Winter came and they were not covered up with work, they did some experminting with dried dog food on other motorhomes, etc. Sure enough, CHIRP

I don't even FEED my dog under the table near that dectector. Would surely put her off her feed if it chirped in her face. She gets "spooked" here in the house when the dust zapping unit in the basement gets over zealous. Must be something about the high pitch that hurts the ears.

It was fun to look through all the models, And yes, there is no pressure to sell because they are selling themselves. While there are a % of first time rv's buying, we in America are starting to downsize on many things. In Europe you seldom see a huge motorcoach, all caravans, light weights. Seems to be something for all in the Pods. The bunk ones intrigue me, not for sleeping, but for making space for something else, since it will be just 2 of us at most, but mostly just me and the dog.  Tink is one example of great use of the slide out. The Mods on the Pods are wonderful.
I, for one, plan to use mine as a get away, in my yard, when football season starts. This way I can even THINK when I am reading or writing or painting at that time.  Our house is an open floor plan and the noise carries all over!

Escape Pod
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 10:31am
Interesting.  We don't keep the dog food in that area but its good to know in case we do in the future.

As for the size of the 'pod, I agree that many are looking to downsize or just not go so BIG as they might have 3 years ago.  Sunday one 5er that passed us as they left the campground actually were pointing and laughing (while we were standing there!), but I thought about how much $ they have invested in their rig and have to spend every trip on gas/diesel and I had the last laugh.  They have been the exception though.  Most people, including several this weekend, ask to see it and ask questions.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>