R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy did you choos an Rpod over others?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did you choos an Rpod over others?
    Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 11:04am
Hi there,

DH and I have now looked at three models of ultra light travel trailers.  The RPod was the first we looked at, and we loved it.  Next we looked at the MPGs, and did not like them at all (not because they were knock-offs, we just didn't think the quality was as good.   The fit and finish was terrible.)

This last weekend, we met up with a Casita owner and looked at her little TT.  I must say, we were really impressed with the layout and especially the build quality of the Casita.  It had tons of storage, everything secured with marine latches, which makes perfect sense.  Also, it would be closer for us to go pick up, Texas vs Ohio (there is no dang way we are paying over $15k for a 172 here in California, or paying $3k for shipping).  The woman whose Casita we looked at said she had a Scamp prior to the Casita, and the Casita was much better quality.

DH wants to look at (used) Airstreams too, but I'm putting my foot down there.  I don't want to pay the price of a new TT for a 10 year old Airstream.  I don't care if they are the ultimate in TT quality.

That got me wondering what other small TTs Rpod owners looked at before getting their Rpod, and what tipped the scales to choose the Rpod over the others?
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 11:30am
To be truthful, I never heard of Casita trailers, but I don't get out much. After taking a quick look at the schematics online, I see the weights are about the same as an R-Pod. What tipped the scales for us was the slide out out on our 177, it gives more room. Plus, we like the queen sized bed on one end and the option to use the dinette as an additional bed if needed, on the other end. Lastly, I like the lines of her, she looks 50's retro to me.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 1:43pm
We looked at Airstreams, and I still want a big one, but the small Airstreams do not come with a slide- it makes all the difference in something this small. I wouldn't get a small TT without one IMHO.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:21pm
I have heard that the quality of Airstreams has slipped.  That is just something a couple of people told me.  I haven't checked them out.  I looked (on line) at tons of small campers.  The R-Pod has everything you could want in a camper.

Unless you want a spiral stair case going to the roof.  Yes, there is a motorhome like that.  I don't think you want imported Italian marble floors and gold plated facets.Dead

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Sistahs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 8:00pm
We came very close to buying a Casita until we saw the rpods. No contest. The Casita rear bed is only a full, too small IMHO for two, and the side bed is miniscule, not wide enough for one. Yes, the quality is good, but the price is higher for less space and convenience. We bought a 171, no slideout, and have plenty of space. And, we did not have to wait six months for a new one. We love our pod!
F150/R-pod171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 10:56pm
I looked at about 20 ultralight TTs online after finding out about the 'pod.  3 or 4 had the features we wanted and were light and small, but ALL of them didn't have one thing the 'pod had - nice-looking interior with cool retro exterior.  Pod won (of course).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
KSinclair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 11:57pm
good answers, all :)  I think we better drive out and look at the rpod again :)
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:06am
 With just the Wife and I and our dog (kids no longer want to go) i listened to what my wife wanted.  A full Bathroom and a dedicated bed.  The 171 won.  We almost bought a smaller unit called the I-Camp (A Chinese made camper) but after researching around found they were having problems importing them to the US.  If I had my way we we would have a 5'X8' Teardrop.  Maybe one day.  I was restoring a 1964 Shasta but had to sell it before I was done.  
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:20am
My youngest child explained to me that I was too old to mess with a POP up, Casita seemed a little too close quarters, T@B didn't have a bathroom (the one I looked at), a couple nameless "light trailers" were not so light.  My TV is 4 cyl and has a 3500lb limit.  The r-pod 172 fit the bill for weight, requirements (a/c, bathroom sleeping arrangements plus more).  

I travel with a daughter Myra (who has Down Sydrome), and sometimes we need our space from each other.  I have a 172 (which has the larger bunk), she has the upper bunk with curtains.  She is small enough to sit up right a use her laptop, or lay down and watch a DVD.  So we can be away from each other yet still close.  I have the bottom bunk with curtains too, so if she wants to watch t.v. I can go to my place as well.

Also since it just her and I Podterfly is easy enough for set up that I can do it by myself.  On long driving days, I have been able just pull in, hook up electric (must have a/c and take a nap), Myra has her area and is safe and I can truly relax.  Setup is optional and easier after a nap and snacks. 

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:13am
We were ready to purchase a 16' Casita, we had researched them and my daughter in-law had had one. But after talking to our kids who have been RVing for several years, they suggested we look at the R-Pods even the one who had the Casita.  The resale on Casita's is fantastic, however for the features and the money the R-Pod won out.  There are just two of us and we chose the R-176.  It give us alot of storage in the bunk area.  The slide out is another reason.  A great dealer in Texas is Colonia Del Rey in Corpus Christi.   
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>