Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNot an owner, yet...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not an owner, yet...
    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 9:39pm
That is what we have also. Welcome. You can see my mods by using the link in my signature below. Whatever model you end up with, I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Epod

The axles are only rated to 3500?  Why is the dry weight plus ccc a hair over 3800?

I wish I had the manual in the Tacoma, I have the Auto and it’s a 2015.  Perusing the Tacoma forums I expected to get around 12 mpg so that’s good to hear some real world numbers.  I love my Tacoma, so I don’t expect to upgrade to a full size, but you never know. I do have the ability to keep an eye on trans temps with my gauge.

I do plan on dual batteries, and getting a wd hitch.  Those weights add up fast

Ah, another engineer. Whoo hoo!

Trailer weight is axle weight + tongue weight.  The DOT requires trailer manufacturers to state gross trailer weight as axle rating plus the lowest listed tongue weight. Since FR only lists one tongue weight the max gross trailer weight is always the tongue weight plus the axle weight, which for the sub 190 series trailers is 3500. The "big/wide" rpods have 4400 lb axles I think. 

FR's tongue weight is very optimistic, especially when loaded for boondocking. I'm right at 500 lbs with dual GC2 golf cart batteries, a full fresh water tank, and a single propane tank. (around 3700 lbs total to within a couple hundred lbs of max axle weight.  Many boondockers want dual propane tanks in which case you are likely to be more like 550 on the tongue. The wdh is taken as part of the TV not the trailer because it is rigidly connected to the TV. You want your tongue weight to be at least 10% of total trailer weight to reduce sway risk. 

As an ME, you might like this calculator which will check all your load numbers against specs and also tell you where you want your wdh set. You will need to weigh your rig fully loaded, people, cargo, fuel. You can do that at a public scale (sometimes your local waste transfer station will let you do it for free). Go through the scales with the trailer connected but he wdh untensioned, and get the load on each of the 3 axles (via subtraction). Then disconnect the trailer and get the weight of each TV axle. TV combined axle weight with the trailer less total TV weight without the trailer is your tongue weight.

I think the 179 is about as large as will be comfortable for towing with a Taco if you're boondocking. If you plan to travel pretty heavy like I do then you should be aware that the axle, frame, and floor of the Rpods are not designed with a lot of safety margin. We have had several reports of bent axles and damaged floors, and one report of a bent frame. I ran the simple beam calcs for the axle and frame and got a safety factor of around 2 or less at rated load. Its fairly easy to get bump loads of about 2 g's so that explains the bent axles and frame. 

Several of us have reinforced our axles, there are threads on that here you case search for. Ditto for discussion of possible frame reinforcement options. No one I'm aware of has done that mod yet.  The floor is a sandwich construction with a light aluminum weldment adhered to a couple of layers of plywood. It cantilevers over the frame rails (which are inboard) and supports the walls. So it is subject to sagging over time, and can fail completely if it gets wet. Do NOT let it get wet! Several folks have installed "outriggers" to support the walls. 

Tires and wheels are also marginal, or they were, nto certain about the new trailers now. The 14 inch load range C tires I originally had were only rated at 1750 lbs so really not up to the job. I upgraded to 15 inch LRD's at 2540 lbs when I reinforced my axle. 

Not trying to scare you off rPods but just to realize that they are lightly constructed low cost trailers and definitely not designed for rough off road use.

These videos show rpod construction detail, might be interesting for you to look at.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Epod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 10:15am
Thanks, great info.  That’s the type of stuff I like and need to get into.  Finding the camper we like is one thing, but now knowing it’s mechanical short comings and needed mods are next. I like to head off possible issues before I’m stuck out somewhere.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 5:31pm
Offgrid is correct. All of the issues he mentioned have happened  and most can be prevented. However, let’s not sound too negative. Those are predominantly issues that have been reported a few times-not extensive. A/C issues are one of the more common things that owners can’t do themselves.Most issues are annoying, temporary panic inducing and correctable by the owner.
My personal experience involves 2 pods as I mentioned earlier. We have traveled over 15000miles with them. Our biggest issue has been a burnt wheel bearing . We did use a mobile repair service for that.We also had  to replace a  refrigerator due to a bad circuit board. That was not a pleasant experience. Otherwise,all of the small issues have been minor and self repaired.
I would say that the pods are overall better than most any other trailer of the same weight/size and price point.
If my 179 was totalled , I would definitely buy another one.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Epod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 5:56pm
We have been looking since late early to mid camping season, and we don’t rush into things but we finally have a first choice.  Any end of season buying tips? Most dealers around me are sold out, do dealers have preordering for next year? The pandemic has of course seemed to accelerate things, but in general the 179’s seem to go quick even before.  What’s the best way to get a hold of them?  In the northeast inventory is less than say Midwest, as well as prices a bit higher.  Traveling to buy isn’t my first choice, but maybe it is what it is.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 6:51pm
As i said, am not trying to advise against buying an rpod. Quite the contrary. The more heavily built travel trailers typically cost twice as much and weigh more than you would want to tow with a Taco. I'm happy with mine, with a few mods to make it more robust. Just understand what an rpod is and is not. 

As for how to buy, also consider buying used. Many folks buy travel trailers and use them very little, decide its not for them. and then sell them at a substantial loss. within a year or two. They are definitely not an investment after all. Besides the obvious cosmetics when looking at a used RV, be careful to look for water damage, and check to be sure all the systems work as they should. Otherwise you should be fine. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:17pm
First off my wife and I purchased a new 179 2019 in July of 2018 and have thoroughly enjoyed the trailer and the floor plan.  In a little over the 2 years we have had it we have had 2 major trips (out to New Mexico) of 2 months each logging over 12,000 miles and had endless shorter trips around Michigan in the summer time logging an estimated additional 3,000 miles.  In all that traveling we have had no major failures.  We have had some warranty issues where the trailer had to be serviced by the dealer we purchased it from.  The major issues were the replacement of one of the slide out walls due to delamination of the exterior skin (the fiberglass was not glued correctly) and the seal was leaking on the rear window.  The reason that I am pointing this out to you is that if you are going to purchase a new R-Pod with a warranty it will "most likely" have to be serviced by the dealer that sold you the trailer.  However if you are purchasing a used unit, warranty work will not be a issue however getting repair work scheduled at a closer reputable RV dealer could be tricky.  

If you are a hands on person wanting to do most of the maintenance work on the trailer yourself, you'll be OK and as SH puts it "you'll enjoying the memories that you are making" (the quote might be a little off).  So go for it and enjoy it.
Jay

179/2019
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 8:43am

R*POD 2016 Forest - $17,000 (ARCH CAPE) 

R*POD 179 2016

Barely used and like new. Best photos and specs are online. Just Google the Year and model. Dome tent attachment never used.

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 11:15pm
We started with a used 179 and really liked how it towed behind the Taco. DW wanted a dry bath and island bed so when the 195 came out we looked around and found the early run without a front window. She loves it; I like it. It tows ok, but the width causes more drag and less visibility and maneuverability. The sweet spot tow speed dropped about 3 mph but the mileage didn't change much. Do notice the weight, bulk on uphill grades more, but not a big issue. (Can gain speed between curves just fine.)  Strong head winds can be an issue. Mine comes across the scales about 3800 lbs with about 400 lb tongue weight. The WDH helps move the weight off the rear axle, especially on the Taco.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:26am
Good report on the differences between the two trailers. 

That 3 mph difference is right about what should be expected. 3 mph speed reduction reduces drag by about 10% at freeway speeds because drag goes with the square of the speed. The frontal area of the wide rpods is about 10% more than the narrow ones so by reducing speed by 3 mph you're roughly equalizing the drag. 

Increased rolling resistance (which is proportional to weight) isn't a big factor at freeway speeds so the heavier trailer isn't  going to have a significant effect on mpg on flat ground but weight will certainly effect climbing ability. Interesting that your 195 and my 179 weigh about the same, must be the water and extra battery I'm carrying. 

For towing ease and visibility, your report makes me happy I have the 179 rather than a big rPod. Glad my wife doesn't care about the wet bath.Tongue
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>