Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRhino Black Tank Connector Elbow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhino Black Tank Connector Elbow
    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 1:51pm
I was out shopping last week and decided to buy the new model (I think) of black tank connector. It's the usual 45 degree, clear tube. But this one has a port that you can attach a hose to it. Once you've emptied out, you can blast a stream right up the black tube. I tried it today and it worked really well. By the time I finished, the water was coming out pretty clear. I've never had great luck with the high pressure wash that comes with the camper. I know many dump stations don't supply a garden hose, but if you go to one that does, this thing is pretty good. I have stopped going to the rinky dink dump stations that many campgrounds have, and I go to my nearby dealer. For ten bucks I get free gloves, their sewer hose, and a nice garden hose all ready to use. Well worth it. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 4:00pm
If you are a Good Sam member, you can use the dump station at Camping World (if that location has one) for no charge.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 8:12pm
We have the same connector. Agree that it works great. The black tank is clean. The only downside that I have experienced is that sometimes the line at the dump station is so long that I feel guilty using it.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 9:49pm
I'm not sure how that the Rhino connector would be better than the black tank flush on the 179. The flush is on the opposite side of the tank from the valve. However, the drain goes to the center and makes a 90 degree bend before it goes in the tank. I can see where the Rhino connector would mean the pipe gets clean, but I don't see how it would get the tank itself clean. See this video for a comparison of various rinse methods:
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:14am
The Rhino flush valve probably isn’t “better” than the installed flush system, but it is more convenient because it is on the same side as the tank drain valve. You can use the Rhino coupling every time you drain the tank.I hook a water hose to the Rhino unit at the same time I hook up the sewer hose. There is a valve on the Rhino unit that opens and closes the hose connection. Once the tank is initially drained, you open the water hose valve and water goes into the tank under pressure. You watch the water going in and as soon as it starts reversing, you shut off the hose and let the tank drain again. You can easily see the results as you stand next to the tank drain and can repeat the procedure as many times as necessary until you get clear water exiting the black tank.
There have been several instances where the backflow preventer on the installed flush line was installed backwards, negating the use of the flush unit supplied by Forest River.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:26am
At least on the 179, the backflow preventer/vacuum breaker is accessible and can be changed around. It probably is not so convenient on other models. The 178 should be the same as the 179 IIRC. It is better to fix the problem with the built-in flush anyway since the check valve installed backwards could possibly allow tank fumes into the trailer if not sewage itself if pressure were to somehow build up in the tank.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply