FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy New TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My New TV
    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 4:03pm
Been shopping for a new TV.

Finally found one that has my 48" water fording requirement (still working on Pod outrigger option) and enough reserve electrical power for DW's 12 KW hair dryer!

This will do it, I think!

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 4:53pm
Unfortunately, it sounds like vaporware to me. Plus, the fuel cell price was given at $90,000. Given the taxes and fees on that and it would be almost the price I paid for our house.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 5:13pm
Fred do you have a placed figured out for the rod holder?
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Leo B

Fred do you have a placed figured out for the rod holder?

Imagine the bull drum we could pull out of the surf with that thing!!  Star
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:32am
Originally posted by StephenH

Unfortunately, it sounds like vaporware to me. Plus, the fuel cell price was given at $90,000. Given the taxes and fees on that and it would be almost the price I paid for our house.

But...how many 15KW portable generators do you know of that can go 0-60 in 2.9 seconds?!!

LOL
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 9:51am
Definitely vaporware (hydrogen vapor that is). Where do you get more of that when you run out? I live in SW VA and the closest one to me looks like its in Connecticut. LOL

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 11:01am
If you check the "include non-retail" locations, there is one in Graniteville, SC which may be closer. Otherwise, it will be quite a while before any hydrogen infrastructure is in place. Given the energy needs to produce hydrogen, it won't be economically feasible any time soon and likely would never really be economically feasible. Like so many of the "green" technologies, the reality is that they end up being worse for the environment than the "dirty" fossil fuels that are supposed to be so bad.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by StephenH

If you check the "include non-retail" locations, there is one in Graniteville, SC which may be closer. Otherwise, it will be quite a while before any hydrogen infrastructure is in place. Given the energy needs to produce hydrogen, it won't be economically feasible any time soon and likely would never really be economically feasible. Like so many of the "green" technologies, the reality is that they end up being worse for the environment than the "dirty" fossil fuels that are supposed to be so bad.

Hydrogen is awful. It will never happen. At least one can hope not.  The overall efficiency of an H2 vehicle is less than half of an ev. And 95% of industrial H2 comes from reforming natural gas. its getting funded via lobbying by the fossil fuel industry, for obvious reasons. 

But tell me what you mean by  "Like so many of the "green" technologies, the reality is that they end up being worse for the environment than the "dirty" fossil fuels that are supposed to be so bad."?  Which other ones? Let's be specific. That kind of generic statement appears to be an oversimplification with political overtones.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 1:20pm
Ethanol is problematic.  A conclusion from a study of ethanol as a fuel:  The use of ethanol as a substitute for gasoline proved to be neither a sustainable nor an environmentally friendly option, considering ecological footprint values, and both net energy and COoffset considerations seemed relatively unimportant compared to the ecological footprint. As revealed by the eco- logical footprint approach, the direct and indirect environ- mental impacts of growing, harvesting, and converting biomass to ethanol far exceed any value in developing this alternative energy resource on a large scale.  https://watermark.silverchair.com/55-7-593.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAsYwggLCBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggKzMIICrwIBADCCAqgGCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMsUDUH-nglZwXYP7qAgEQgIICeSzHzsbOPBzZzfl7GwyYrPtyvWJ2ouvDMehUXUFwLHOJZJpAnVImJ4mX2wkMavNWt184_8HwQ-K0Hniyk4dRY9ru9eew9g88Nt8G2jUAj5PqX6yNxQKsw2FlxPFrx7u6rUWg2ySl7cuEvGiVpKH1laso2LpHysOHn98fJUsNrv-j36oPsLaVEVRs2nkz_gPSsKOpEhSfMjNaiGGJcw3FZN7gxhH0XGHyMBKO1Wjra0pI3agCLGA0apb4rOvQqpxb9yIMHeXyB4uMMQGSoBCHSRF2JsuRop4IISIiIdVP_qs4543YiIw782oYe3hcwYrlGUXAJqjaF9I9BVvATVl3RMS_2qYf6IZC7Rpk76vcFvFzgFfr3vr504fYOeAUaol3z0P6jJCkz9zDQt4No8n4j3uY8PR5mprh5y009qoPsLLMrqH8eERytiJKWSsUjnsjsQVadqNQrnrVe81HUgpSugvqv5PhgEox2NAmDjoEnJBISHZszDRtpkOIFb1LbVATWtCOwbmbZEkVbu-X6-BHdaYSmlcaQnymr-3UL14t2nRYU3gqnNCIKVSrVyiOhkenQSilD38ooAIKk7X7EPNPBkMUdULr7pP_upZEQ5_FdPOOQNr3Wago8l_01tgZPEIPo6dEXVq9aa1mK_xRZ6PXqaR00iNMiZdfJMl7ut8m5nI_rvcHUc4-B-0w8TQx7Hiwiwh0E75DU8qN0MBJKruQBAoVqCN5pcMHjP_owkQRxbTlWiLAUrqIhaZHvAqGBREX7kvhRH9WF45zXTxpxRZ9gHPOGXzqXdtTeaHD205FrkZlEoFybSg-eac3FUNrkgL0XTzAw4pcLk4Cjw

Battery powered vehicles also have their environmental issues due to the production of the batteries and the required rare earths that have to be mined, the source of the energy to produce the electricity, etc.  As usual the devil is in the details.  

Alternative forms of energy storage and its motive use need to be explored, but there is no panacea that will replace the ICE.  Each has its unanticipated consequences.  The important thing is that we honestly and accurately compare the relative benefits and costs of each.  Unfortunately, the proponents of any given form of motive energy tout the benefits of what they like and often ignore the drawbacks.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 2:28pm
Great, specific technologies to discuss!

Corn ethanol is certainly highly debateable, most studies show modest net positive GHG emissions relative to gasoline (about 20-40% reduction). Sugar cane ethanol is much better, more in the range of 70-80%. I'm interested in seeing what the ecological footprint methodology suggests but the link was broken. 

EV's certainly are an overall improvement over fossil based ICE's. While battery raw materials production, like all industrial processes, have their issues, the total mass of Li being produced and used is tiny, roughly 10 kg per vehicle.  In comparison, my highly efficient Prius will consume over 24 metric tonnes of gasoline over its lifetime. So, EV battery production is nothing like as environmentally damaging as fossil fuel production and transportation. Ask the folks in Maritius for example. And GHG production of the electricity being used in the vehicles can be zero if renewable or nuclear electricity is used. 

No one is suggesting that there is a single technology that can immediately replace all uses of ICE's, and that isn't necessary anyhow. A typical range of 250-300 miles for today's ev's is plenty for 95% of  requirements, without ever stopping for a fast charge somewhere. But that doesn't mean the viable alternatives need to continue to be "explored", as if we don't understand them yet. There are very well proven technologies that just need to be implemented. PV is a very well understood technology for example, as are Li batteries.  

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>