Topic ClosedSolar panel wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
podwerkz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar panel wiring
    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 3:37pm
I went thru that exact scenario....except I went in by pulling the radio out...but either way...

You are looking for two pairs of 10 gauge wire, if I remember correctly. Maybe they were 8 or 12 gauge...I just can't remember now...but there will be two pairs of heavy red and black wires. Mine were not terminated, not covered in tape, not marked. Nothing. They were just laying loose in that cabinet behind the radio and the go-solar sticker.

Use a flashlight, they should be in there. You might need to kinda dig around to find them...but they are a much larger gauge than the typical stereo wiring in that cabinet.

One pair comes from the solar connector on the roof, and one pair comes up from the battery, thru a circuit breaker mounted near the converter in the cabinet under the dinette seat, ON MINE. Yours might be different, of course.

When you find them, use a meter or circuit tester to find which pair is hot, 12v, and the other should only show voltage if and when a solar panel is plugged in on the roof connector.

When I called Forest River to ask about this exact issue, they told me to read them the VIN, and when I did they told me that 'you are not the registered owner so we can't help you'...

Idiots.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Riverrune View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 3:18pm
I am trying to install a Go Power solar panel kit in my 2019 R-Pod 179. The pod is pre wired, so in theory all I need do is place the panel on the roof and wire the control panel from the wires behind the template decal. I cut open the template only to find more wires than I expected and none of them labeled or having any indication of what wire goes where. The folks at Forest River are so far less than helpful, as is the dealer from whom I bought the R-Pod.

Does anyone out there know what wires are the ones to use?

Thanks!
Ken Neubecker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12