Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWannabe Rpod Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wannabe Rpod Owner
    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:24pm
Greg, your warning is appreciated - spending too much on a 6 year old rig. Being new to the game, I don’t know the problems these trailers experience as they age. Further, when they get to a certain age, does a prudent buyer avoid altogether regardless of price? With no odometer, how does one go about doing some sort of pre-purchase inspection - in addition to having the seller demonstrate functionality of components? Thanks again. Jim
In His Palm
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 7:15am
Water damage. That can destroy any value in a travel trailer, and can happen in any TT that has been through even one rainy season if its been outside and not properly maintained, even if its never been camped in. Sometimes its hard to find, look for rippled or stained walls but also carefully inspect the floor all the way to the outside walls all the way around, Look for softness and lifted flooring. Moldy smells.  Look underneath especially at the wall to floor connection. Any sagging or dampness? 

Bent frame or axle from rough use or overloading. Also could be present in any TT that isn't right off the lot.  Ask the seller where he has been camping. If he had taken it on a lot or rough forest service roads it might be better to look elsewhere, rPods aren't well suited to rough road use.

Look at the wheels from behind the trailer. Are the tops of the wheels bent inward (called negative camber)? Uneven tire wear? Park the trailer on a completely flat spot. Does it lean to one side? is the bottom edge of the trailer cabin the same height above ground on both sides (within half an inch or so)? Look at the trailer from the sides. Is the frame straight from the tongue all the way to the rear bumper? 

Other than that, the most expensive thing age related item that you could run into would be replacing the fridge. RV fridges have a limited life, figure on replacement every 10 years or so, and they cost north of $1K, 

Have the seller run all the appliances and equipment for you, if it all works then it might nickel and dime you later but shouldn't break the bank. 

Did I mention water damage? 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 8:37am
I agree with offgrid. One thing is make sure you look under the trailer. Does it look like wires have been rewired? Factory tries to keep wires tight to avoid being ripped out. Repairs to that wiring not always done right or poor factory job may indicate a problem. Are the tank drain pipes beat up? I told myself it was from brush and gravel when owners talked of light boondocking. We were told our unit had barely been used ("Look, the tires are almost brand new," and they were,) we found Alaska stickers in it after buying it. It had not been abused, but from the rust on the frame, it had spent a lot of time on the coast. No apparent leaks anywhere and none found when we owned it. I'd look for newer, but on your side of the mountain, things don't age as quickly as further west.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
Belgirb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 3:43pm
Once again...many thanks for counsel and wisdom. My searching will be a bit more focused. Greatly appreciate the help.
In His Palm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12