R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery & wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery & wiring
    Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 5:40pm
Glad to hear its working now.

Re the cold temperatures, its not that the batteries are frozen in some obvious way its that lithium batteries can't accept a charge when the are at cold temperatures. So, if you camp in sub-freezing weather you can have problems. Your batteries may be self-protected from that by their battery management system, you might want to check the specs for the BMS and see.

Sounds like your solar charge controller can be reset for lithium batteries, just be aware that the WFCO charger in your rPod is not set up for them. They have another version that is. If you want to also charge from your tow vehicle you will probably need a dc dc converter for that. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 3:06pm

hi Folks,

My solar panel project this summer has meant I've learned a lot about my batteries but not enough yet.  These are both 12 volt (the batteries are new(er) but they replicate with came with the camper). Can someone please tell me what these two loose wires are and, as unlikely a possibility as that seems, are they supposed to be loose?
Julie
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:38pm
Is your solar hooked up and working? The wires resemble solar, but I can't be sure, hard to tell from a picture.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:49pm
Sorry for being confusing.  

No, the solar is just a suitcase portable panel. It's just that before I got that and tried boon docking I left batteries alone (was learning other things). Now I am learning batteries. But this is just the two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel (I believe). I just don't know what these "extra" wires are. Have they become disconnected from somewhere?  A ground wire maybe?
Julie
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:20pm
One appears to be ground and one appears to be a positive, could they be for your solar wiring at rear of trailer? Even a suitcase requires a hook point at you trailer. Are these wires attached to your solar attach point at rear of trailer? Is your electric jack working?
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:41pm
Mike's probably right. We have an extra pair of wires that are connected to a Z-amp connector at the other end of the trailer. We don't plan on using them, as we'll be connecting our solar directly.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:46pm
Ah. I do connect the renogy solar panel to the batteries directly.  I bet one of these wires is a ground. Any idea how to tell which and what do I need to do with it?

I'm open to instruction on how I should be connecting the renogy panels. I have put them on one of the batteries matching positive and negative 
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 4:59am
Julie, you do seem to have some odd stuff going on with your batteries.

First, yes it does appear that the batteries are connected in parallel. You can tell that because there is a black jumper wire between the two negative battery posts and a red one that looks like it goes between the two positive posts. 

And I see what appears to be the negative connection from the batteries going (probably) to the pod panelboard (black wire connected to the battery post just above your hand in the photo).  What I don't see is the positive connector from the batteries to the pod. That should be connected to one of the two positive battery posts (preferably to the battery on the left that the negative lead is NOT connected to, it balances the batteries better if you do that). It could be the red wire you're holding but if that's not  ever been connected then I'm puzzled how you have been getting battery power to your trailer dc circuits. 

As GlueGuy says, I also have two extra wires on my trailer (smaller gauge that the main battery cables) which go to the Zamp solar port. So we have a total of 4, your picture only shows 3 wires plus the two battery jumper wires. Is there another wire somewhere that's not showing up in the picture?

Next, did you rotate the left battery around or is it always set in there on an angle like that? I notice that the right side case is bigger than that battery, I'd suggest getting the correct size for that and placing the batteries in there lengthwise so you can strap them down and everything is stable. Those plastic cases aren't expensive.

Finally, if you connect the suitcase solar kit directly to the battery, is there a fuse at the battery + terminal for that? If not, you should add one for safety. And be very careful working with wrenches and loose wires around batteries. If you've never seen what happens when you short a battery post to post or positive to frame ground you don't want to. You can get a heavy wire or tool red hot in a fraction of a second or even blow the side of a battery case off spraying acid everywhere due to internal heating.  Its best to tape up your wrench(es) so you don't accidentally touch them between posts and also disconnect the negative terminal first when working on batteries. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:11am
Thaks for the detail; this is very helpful.  I'll get back out there later today.

What I don't see is the positive connector from the batteries to the pod. That should be connected to one of the two positive battery posts (preferably to the battery on the left that the negative lead is NOT connected to, it balances the batteries better if you do that). It could be the red wire you're holding but if that's not  ever been connected then I'm puzzled how you have been getting battery power to your trailer dc circuits. 

I see your point! But I do have battery power in the camper. Maybe it's hidden in the picture. I'll check.

As GlueGuy says, I also have two extra wires on my trailer (smaller gauge that the main battery cables) which go to the Zamp solar port. So we have a total of 4, your picture only shows 3 wires plus the two battery jumper wires. Is there another wire somewhere that's not showing up in the picture?

I'll check

Next, did you rotate the left battery around or is it always set in there on an angle like that? I notice that the right side case is bigger than that battery, I'd suggest getting the correct size for that and placing the batteries in there lengthwise so you can strap them down and everything is stable. Those plastic cases aren't expensive.

No, this is how they came to me. I like this idea.

Finally, if you connect the suitcase solar kit directly to the battery, is there a fuse at the battery + terminal for that? If not, you should add one for safety. And be very careful working with wrenches and loose wires around batteries. If you've never seen what happens when you short a battery post to post or positive to frame ground you don't want to. You can get a heavy wire or tool red hot in a fraction of a second or even blow the side of a battery case off spraying acid everywhere due to internal heating.  Its best to tape up your wrench(es) so you don't accidentally touch them between posts and also disconnect the negative terminal first when working on batteries. 

I do always disconnect negative first and am very careful around anything electrical (dad was an electrician).  Honestly if I can find someone to look at this and straighten it our for me I'm inclined to go with (paid) expertise. I think adding a fuse might be beyond my skills at this point.  :)

And again thanks to all of you.

[/QUOTE]
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:30am
Ok, sounds good. let us know what you find.  And don't underestimate your capabilities, I'm sure you could add a fuse if you so decided, look at all the other stuff you've gotten done since you bought your trailer. Thumbs Up
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>