Topic ClosedAlmost a new r-pod owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost a new r-pod owner
    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 2:04pm
My wife and I are expecting a new 2021 R-pod 196 in mid-October. This will be our first travel trailer and we are looking forward to being part of the R-pod community. We live in Montana and expect to use the R-pod for camping nearby and some longer trips.
A couple questions:
1) what would be the first modification you would make to make the R-pod more useful
2) has anyone replaced the steps with the MORryde steps. They look a lot more solid to me.
3) and finally - 12 volt or 6 volt batteries. I have been reading about the topic and wonder what folks have purchased to use with their R-pods.

More details and pictures when we are hooked up.
Rik
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Ricktoon

...has anyone replaced the steps with the MORryde steps. They look a lot more solid to me....

If the MORryde steps require that the trailer's door be completely open either for install or deployment (or both), note that the 195/96 door does not open completely...it hits the wheel fender.

See this video...look around 1:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZwANik5znM
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 3:08pm
Hello Rik,
Congratulations on your anticipated RPod. I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with it.

My first suggestion is to get the RPod and make a trip or two in it stock. Modifications will come to mind as you use it and think that something or other might be better if . . . . That is the basis of many of my mods. However, there is one thing I would check first. That is the black and gray water drain supports. They are notorious for failing.

Second, I defer to Pod_Geek on that one.

Third, it depends on what you want. Do you intend to do a lot of longer-term boondocking or to stay in RV parks with power? If it is RV parks or campgrounds with power, save money and weight and go with a single 12V battery. If you intend to do boondocking, then there are a couple of options. One is to go with two 6V batteries (wired in series). Another is to go for a single LiFePO4 battery. However, the LiFePO4 battery will require some additional changes. The stock converter does not work for Lithium batteries. It would need to be modified to have the correct charging profile. Also, the power from the tow vehicle is not suitable for Lithium batteries either. You would need to install a DC to DC charger suitable for Lithium and wire a separate power feed for it. The real advantages are weight (about 30 lbs) and long life (many times greater than Pb-Acid batteries). The disadvantage is cost plus the mods noted. You could look at my mods (link in signature) to get an idea of what would be involved with an LiFePO4 battery.

Ultimately, you will need to decide what will work for you. My choices won't necessarily be what you decide you need. Above all, enjoy the times camping with your family in your RPod. I want to get out that way again.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 6:18pm
The new 2021 R-pod has the new glass door feature. Will need to determine if it opens enough for the change in steps. Will post more later.

Here is a walkaround of the new model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEsbjG2T1ik
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 7:42pm
Congratulatons Rik on your new R-Pod!  First modification made on our 2011 177 when it had 3 sleeps on the mattress was to replace it!  It was collapsing already and was less comfortable to sleep on than when we slept on the ground in a puptent.  Replaced it with a 8" Eurotop mattress and here we are over 9 years later and that mattress is still just as firm and comfortable as the day we got it. 

As Stephen H wisely stated above, battery type and flavor will depend on your camping style and needs.  For us we have a pair of 12v Interstate group size 24, deep cycle batteries that are 9.5 years old and still performing well.  Why?  Maintenance is key.  I wash the case 1 or 2x/year with baking soda and flush off with a garden hose.  Also keep and eye on the electrolyte level and fill only with distilled water.  When camping in the off season (April-May or September-October) the furnace gets used a lot.  Last year when in the Rockies in September it usually was mid 40's or so at night time.  Even with those temps we still got 6 - 7 days total out of both batteries; no solar or generator either.  Change battery with it reads 12.2v (50% S.O.C.) to the other.    During the winter months in northern Michigan both batteries are pulled out and set in an unheated garage on the concrete floor.  They are given a 2 amp trickle charge in November for 24-36 hours each and then sit in hibernation mode until the following April when the trickle charge is repeated before re-installing in May. 

So . . . .where will you be going on your shakedown campout?  I suppose Glacier NP will be shut by then.  It is one of our favorite parks; we love to hike there although there have been occasions like the last time not too long ago when we were a bit concerned when we spotted a huge silver-tip grizzly about 500 yards away on a trail.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:07pm
Welcome.

Re batteries, to summarize.  

1) If you don't boondock, one 12V battery is fine
2) If you do boondock, 2 6V GC2 golf cart batteries in series if starting from scratch. If you have a brand new 12V battery, get a second identical battery and wire them in parallel. Connect the + feed to the trailer to one battery and the - to the other to keep them in better balance.
3) If you want the best, lightest weight and longest life, go with lithium, but change out your rPod battery charger for one configured for Li and get a dc/dc converter so you can charge from your tow vehicle. 

Finally, if you are boondocking, consider also getting a solar module and charger, 100W or larger, and/or a small generator.

Enjoy! 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:42pm
Jato,
Thanks for the info. The dealer is providing two batteries. If I can get two 6 volt batteries for a reasonable cost upgrade I will. Would like sealed batteries that don't require topping up but will see.
I like the idea of replacing the mattress and will plan to do that after a few shakedown trips. We pick up the R-pod in Salt Lake City and will plan a couple nights nearby to make sure everything works well.
Made three trips to Glacier this year. Rode my bike up Going to the Sun Road on the first day it was open in June. Also hiked to Sperry Chalet for a two night stay. Did some hiking trips as well.  No Grizzlies on trips this year.
More later
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 7:26am
Do reconsider getting "sealed" batteries. 

There is no such thing as a fully sealed lead acid battery. All lead acid batteries create hydrogen and oxygen when charging, so they are either open or have valves that can allow excess hydrogen and oxygen to escape. If they didn't they could explode. 

The valve regulated (VRLA) low maintenance batteries recombine the hydrogen and oxygen inside the battery unless the charge rate and voltage gets high enough that the pressure builds and the valve opens. The problem is that you can't add more distilled water to them if that happens. For a travel trailer where the battery is getting charged and discharged a lot and there are several charging sources, the risk of overcharge and losing water is increased. Also, the chemistry of deep discharge batteries (which you want for a trailer) is different from an automotive starter, lights, ignition (SLI) battery so they use more water and need higher charge setpoints than an SLI type. 

If you really feel you won't be able to remember to check the level in a standard flooded deep cycle battery then by all means get the valve regulated type. Otherwise, get flooded golf cart deep cycle batteries and check the level every few weeks, and add distilled water as needed.  Golf cart batteries are designed for deep cycle applications and are tolerant of overcharging.   And they are significantly less expensive than the low maintenance ones. Two GC2 case size 6V golf cart batteries are the largest that can fit in the rpod rack, if you will be boon docking I recommend that configuration. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 11:54am
Dealer wants a premium for 6 volt deep cycle batteries so I will probably buy two from Costco or Batteries Plus and take them with me. Costco Interstate 6v golf cart batteries with 210Ah are less than $100 each. Duracell at Batteries plus are about $200 each. Any big difference other than warrenty to worry about.
Thanks Rick
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 5:51pm
According to what I’ve read, Duracell makes Kirkland batteries, so there is a good chance that the only difference is the label.

At half the price I know which ones I’d buy...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>