R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter/Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter/Generator
    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:19pm
I love it when a plan comes together! Thanks for the report!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:59pm
Great Vann. I am happy to hear that. We will be heading to Florida shortly, but only for a week and we have a reservation at an RV park, so I likely won't need the generator for this trip. However, we will be heading west this summer, and the generator to run the AC will likely come in very handy.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 10:08am
Thanks for all the information.
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 10:41am
Same setup I have except for the newer generation Honda (mine is the 2k). Works well at least up to about 4000 ft elevation, which covers the East. In the West I’m not sure how well it would do under really hot, high elevation conditions. With the Century Fuels propane kit you can adjust the demand regulator for elevation, can you do that with the Hutch Mtn one?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:02am
The Hutch Mtn kit says that you may encounter problems at higher elevations.   there is a primer button on the demand regulator that can be depressed several times if necessary to add additional propane into the carb. Normally, you depress the primer only once before you start the generator.
I haven't tried this yet
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 9:41am
The primer button would help with startup but not with steady state high altitude running. Sounds like Hutch Mtn doesn’t provide for any mixture adjustments. You might want to ask them.

I don’t think there will be a startup problem with the Easystart installed. Mine always starts the a/c just fine. I have experienced generator tripping with the Honda 2k after running the a/c for awhile on a hot day, but that was because I had other loads on or hadn’t properly adjusted the mixture for altitude. Once I turned those off and adjusted the demand regulator it handled things ok.

You have 10% more rated capacity than I do, but in reality maybe more like 20% to compensate for altitude. I could hear my engine rpm dropping under load prior to the gen tripping, so I know it was engine limited not inverter limited. Your engine has 20% higher volumetric capacity than mine does. The gen is only rated 10% higher so I would guess (could be wrong) that it’s now limited by the inverter rather than the engine, at sea level anyway. Since the inverter section is not effected by altitude you should have that additional 20% capacity available to compensate for altitude. That would take you up to around 8000 feet altitude or so, if you could adjust the mixture.

See attached chart.

Honda alt derate
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345