R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter/Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter/Generator
    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:24am
Anyone have experience with this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/CHAMPION-POWER-EQUIPMENT-2500-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Recoil-Start-Inverter-Generator-with-Champion-79-cc-Engine-100889/313554748#ratings-and-reviews

The weight (39lbs) and output(2500/1850) looks pretty good?  Is it enough to run the AC if needed? It is showing a 20 amp output so I am guessing you can run AC but not in conjunction with much else?

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 10:44am
Generators that size in general will run the a/c if nothing else is turned on (including the battery charger) but won't start it reliably. You can try it and see if it does (let the a/c compressor cycle a few times because its harder to start the second cycle). If it won't start it reliably you can install an Easystart in the a/c and that will bring the startup load way down and allow a small genny to start it. Not cheap but it works and is better than the alternative of a heavy generator if you're trying to keep rig weight down. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:02am
I thought since the peak on this was 2500 it may be a bit better than the others which are usually 2200/2300 peak.  Weight on this is about 14lbs lighter than comparible models.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:20am
The a/c compressor without a soft start actually requires 30-40 amps momentarily to start. So with the inverter/generators it depends on what the protection circuits for the transistors are designed to limit things to. Also the lighter weight tends to make it less likely to work because the 30-40 amps has to come from stored energy in the rotating engine/flywheel. If that is lighter then there is less likelihood it will be able to provide the current.

I think it was the Westinghouse inverter generator someone reported on that was rated at 2500 peak that wouldn't start the a/c at all while the Honda 2.2 would, at least part of the time.  My 2kw Honda will sometimes start my a/c the first time but not reliably. With the Easystart it works great, brings the startup current demand way down.

Unless someone has direct experience with that particular generator I suggest you try it but assume you'll need the easystart. If it works without that then you can be pleasantly surprised. You might not be able to give it a good test anymore this year though because of the cooler temperatures. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:32am
You might also want to consider getting a propane powered generator. especially since you have an SUV, No stinky gas smell, less weight, no fouled carburetors either. I converted my Honda to propane and wouldn't go back to gasoline, and I think StephenH bought a propane one and likes his. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:32am
Sounds reasonable.....was hoping someone had experience with that model would chime in.  I guess I can be the guinea pig.  I can always get the easy start if needed.  Not sure how often I will need a generator but the guy I bought the trailer from had a Harbor Freight Predator and I was amazed at how quiet it was.  
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:37am
Give it a day or two, someone might know about it. 

One thing on the inverter generators, they aren't really all that quiet when running at full load like they do running the a/c. They run quiet at low load because they can idle down and let the inverter keep the AC frequency at 60 cycles. Not suggesting getting a non-inverter generator, just saying don't be surprised at the noise when you load 'em up.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:06pm
That makes sense.....we are probably going to be at campgrounds with hook ups.  This would be only for occasional use.  The AC on these is pretty noisy so it would probably drown out some of the gen set noise. Is there anyway to make the AC shut the fan down when it hits the proper temp or does it run all the time?  I also have fan on the refrig outside vent that runs all the time.....I bought a thermostat so it will only run when needed....will that work?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:18pm
One thing to know, pretty much all campgrounds have quiet hours when you can't run a generator, so if you want the generator to run the a/c on a muggy night, you most likely won't be able to unless you're boon docking somewhere. 

For sure you won't hear the generator over that jet exhaust level noise of the a/c. You want to leave the a/c fan on I think because it is really oversized for the trailer so it runs on a pretty short cycle, like 5 minutes on 10 off typically, so it will be waking you up every time the fan starts just as you're falling asleep but if you leave the fan on you get used to it. At least that's how it is for us, others might feel differently. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 12:54pm
Yes, I purchased a dual-fuel generator, but only intend to run it on propane. It is a Firman generator. This is the current model Costco has:  https://www.costco.com/firman-2900w-running--3200w-peak-electric-start-gasoline-or-propane-fuel-powered-inverter-generator-gas-and-lp.product.100481637.html

The one I purchased is not quite as powerful. Mine has 2700 running, 2900 peak while on propane if I recall correctly. It has electric start, which is nice. It does run the AC with no problem, but I had already added a Micro-Air EasyStart for use with the Generac iX2000 I had been using. I like the propane since I don't have to worry about carrying gasoline.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>