R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter/Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter/Generator
    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 5:03pm
think about a simple solar suitcase system. It won't run the a/c, but it will keep your batter(y/ies) charged and allow non-hookup camping.they are simple and less cost than a generator, lighter weight  and no fuel to carry. Plus, you can park in the shade and have the panel in the sun. They don't replace a generator, just an alternative.
We have a Renogy 100 watt suitcase and love it.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 5:19pm
I am curious how the Champion 2500 worked with the A/C?

There is a new Champion 2500 dual fuel model that will put out 2500 starting watts on propane. I am considering picking one up.

Thanks!
2021 R-pod 196
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 6:38pm
It will need to produce much more than 2500 watts momentarily to start the a/c, unless you have an Easystart. More like 5-6 kw. Some small inverter generators can do it, some cannot. Without actual testing involving multiple starts under “hot and high” conditions it is just guesswork.,
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:37am
I was hoping it would be able to start the A/C on propane. Not sure I want to handle a 100lb generator, which is about what the 3500 watt portable inverter generators weigh. I find it odd that a 2500 watt weighs 39lbs, but the 3400-3500 weighs 95lbs. Adding 1000 watts is 50+ pounds more. 

Any recommendations for a 3500 inverter that runs on propane and weighs around 70lbs? Not sure there is one.
2021 R-pod 196
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:16am
Probably there isn’t one and if there was it likely wouldn’t start the a/c. . It’s the weight that allows the larger generators to spin up the a/c compressor.

Think of it this way: the energy stored in the rotating mass of the generator is transferred electrically to the compressor. The engine can’t throttle up fast enough to do it, it’s all over in a fraction of a second. So the energy has to already be stored in the generator before the compressor is connected. That takes spinning mass.

There is a proven way to do what you want, get an Easystart for the a/c. That greatly reduces the power needed by the compressor by ramping it up more slowly, giving the generator time to throttle up. Then you can use a 2kw-ish generator that is light weight and still get the compressor started.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 2:00pm
I recently purchased a Honda 2200 generator, a Microaire Easy Start kit and converted the generator to propane with a Hutch Mountain conversion kit.  all working together will start and run the AC on our 179
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 2:08pm
Thanks for the info and explanation. I can understand this a little better now. 

The Easy start is something I have considered. However my camper is new and I'm fairly certain this would void any warranty on the A/C unit? So this makes the decision a little harder. 

Thanks again!
2021 R-pod 196
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 3:18pm
Even IF the EasyStart voids the warranty (not sure that it does and you can always remove it...just sayin) I would generally assume that an EasyStart would probably extend the useful life of an A/C unit simply because it gets the moving parts moving with less 'jolt'.

In electronics we sometimes use 'inrush' current protection to extend the life of sensitive components. I would be very surprised if a test was conducted and the EasyStart did not extend the life of a compressor, start capacitor, and associated relays and such.

Of course, it's cost is around a third to a half of a new rooftop A/C so the argument might be moot.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Even IF the EasyStart voids the warranty (not sure that it does and you can always remove it...just sayin) I would generally assume that an EasyStart would probably extend the useful life of an A/C unit simply because it gets the moving parts moving with less 'jolt'.
In electronics we sometimes use 'inrush' current protection to extend the life of sensitive components. I would be very surprised if a test was conducted and the EasyStart did not extend the life of a compressor, start capacitor, and associated relays and such.
Of course, it's cost is around a third to a half of a new rooftop A/C so the argument might be moot.

+1. Just take out the Easystart and return the a/c to its original status if you have a warranty claim. The Easystart itself will make things “easier” for the a/c not harder. As for the price tag on the Easystart, if your back doesn’t want to deal with a 100 lb genny (whose does?) and you want a/c boondocking then you need it and it’s worth it’s price. Dometic could solve this problem themselves by updating their a/c to a modern high efficiency variable speed compressor system like everyone else uses now but they choose instead to stick with 40-50 year old technology. If that creates an opportunity for MicroAir to be paid to meet an unmet need in the market it’s certainly not their fault (I have no affiliation with them BTW other than that I like their product).
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:59pm
I installed the EasyStart after the warranty expired. I did not know about it before. Given what it does, I would likely have installed it even if the unit were new because it does work. It is worth the money.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>