R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter/Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter/Generator
    Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 10:41am
I am breaking in a brand new Champion open frame inverter generator as we speak. 

It has about 3 hours on it so far...It is lighter and more efficient than my OTHER big-honkin Champion genset...and this one will also start and run the r-pod rooftop A/C no problem.

It is open frame tho, so while it is easier to lift and drag around, it is NOT quiet. It is a bit less noisy than my OTHER big-honkin Champion genset, but it is certainly noisier than my small 1000w inverter generator...(the blue one in the background) as one might expect. It does run at low speed most of the time...it surges just a bit when the A/C compressor kicks in but then settles back to almost normal low speed...which will presumably save gas. I like that it is rated to run about 22 hours on a 4 gallon tankful at 25% load. We will see!

I got a good price on it, and it takes up less room than my OTHER big-honkin Champion genset...and that OTHER big-honkin Champion genset will now be my home backup genset...we have frequent power outages here due to a variety of factors...life in the country on an electric co-op!

I can actually lift this new one onto the tailgate of my truck without busting a gut! So far, I like it!

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 6:18pm
My experience with my Honda 2k is that its really pretty loud when running at full load. Most of the noise comes from the exhaust. In eco mode at low rpm it is quiet, but running a high load like the a/c I doubt there’s really much difference between an open frame constant rpm genny and a “quiet” inverter generator.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 2:27pm
I changed the oil at 5 hours (first oil change, per manual) and then continued to run and test the new genset powering my r-pod and its systems for the next 4 hours till it ran out of gas...I had only put about 1 1/2 gallons of gas in the tank to begin testing, so it ran for about 9 hours total (per the built-in meter) on less than 2 gallons. 

The load was varied from light (only the converter/charger powered on) to about 50% (A/C running and water heater electric on and electric space heater on and converter/charger on).

So far, so good....after break-in I would expect it to do a really good job for me!
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 7:35pm
Hi Folks, 

I'm going way back to the original 2020 post in this thread about the Champion 2500 dual fuel generator. Has anyone since had experience with this? I'm looking at it and hoping it might run my a/c but I am prepared to have an easy start installed if it can't start it.

I've learned from the thread why lighter generators are less powerful but I have to balance that with whether I can lift it in and out of my SUV. 

I am anxious about the pull start but none of these smaller ones seem to have electric start.  Will it be hard for me to start it? I've never done that before and can't really tell how much strength it takes. (internet guys seems to pull all their weight into it too lol).

Any other things I should be considering?

Julie
Julie
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:40pm
The Firman dual-fuel generator I purchased has electric start. That is really nice. I'm thinking that I can rig up a ramp or hoist to help get it in and out of the back of the truck if I can't find help to lift it. It is heavy. Not having gasoline in it saves a few pounds.

If you have to use a manual rope-start, if you an pull the rope on a lawnmower, you should be able to pull the rope on a small generator. Put one hand against the generator to brace it and keep it from shifting, then pull the rope with the other hand. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:59pm
Thank you, Stephen. 

I found that Firman and if it weren't so heavy it would be my choice. There's no way I can manage that though. 

Have had an electric lawnmower and a manual one but always avoided these pull-starts. I wish there were a way to try it out.  :)

Still I'm hoping someone will have experience wiht the Champion 2500
Julie
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 7:47am
The Camping World location here locally has them in stock. They had one out of the box and it is easy to handle compared to the 100lb models. Even if they don't have the dual fuel model, the 2500 gas model will be the same in weight and starting, so you can get an idea how it would work for you. But I bet you would not have any trouble starting the 2500 series. 

I'm planning the same as you, Champion 2500 dual fuel, and add the easy start if needed. Which I expect it will probably be needed. But I'm not purchasing it through Camping World, much better prices at other retailers. 
2021 R-pod 196
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 8:28am
It's a bit of a trade-off. For a given wattage, the pull-start units will usually weigh a bit less, since they wont have a battery and a starter motor.

As far as pull starting effort, it's not a LOT of work, unless you find that you need to keep at it to get the genset started. In that case I will use starting fluid. The new units normally start easily, but if you let one sit un-used for a few months it can be difficult to get it started, and sometimes starting fluid (ether) can help.

But in most cases, you can start a generator with 1-3 'sharp' pulls of the cord. 
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:00am
Ah...I now understand why there was this cut-off in size below which there were no electric start options. The small ones are definitely marketed on their weight so I see why they'd cut that since most people won't care--though that bluetooth Honda is pretty neat. Same way laptops lost their cd drives.

I'd like to now more about how to use staring fluid to start it. Can you do that when you are operating on propane?

Colonel Podder: thanks for the tip about in-stock options at Camping World.  The closest one is a ways for me but I'm going to try to make it over there. I might do this soon but I might not do it until the end of summer so If  you buy it I'd be interested to know what you find.

Thanks again, folks.
Julie
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:39am
Starting fluid is only for gasoline (or diesel) fueled generators, not propane fueled generators. 

That's the short, simple answer...but if you want more info...here ya go:

Operating a genset on propane you should not need to ever use starting fluid (ether) since the very reason for using starting fluid is often due to a gasoline fueled genset which has been sitting and the gasoline in the carburetor bowl is a bit thick (sludge may have formed), OR the needle jets (main or pilot or both) in the carburetor are plugged, or the carb float is stuck, or the fuel line or the filter screen in the petcock is blocked.

In other words, fueling issues. (sometimes air intake or compression issues but that is another topic) 

(BTW: Starting fluid is a 'tool' used to diagnose and or help with starting a small gasoline or diesel engine by squirting it into the aircleaner box or air intake during (or right before) pulling the cord or pushing a start button)

On propane you should not have 'fueling' issues...if you have propane hooked up and the valves turned on, you will have fuel...now, you could have ignition failures, it's possible, but, starting fluid wont help with that (other than you will know you have an ignition failure!) And there is no liquid propane that will be 'going bad' while 'sitting' in the carburetor anyway....it can't! It is 'injected' under pressure thru a separate orifice after passing thru the regulator, it does not enter the carb float bowl, and does not enter the intake airstream the same way that gasoline is taken in. 

Think of a propane-fueled genset as if it was running on 'starting fluid' all the time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>