R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter/Generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter/Generator
    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 11:12am
Tuition free schooling.  :)  Thank you.
Julie
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 12:34pm
Also, if you are using gasoline, always get ethanol-free gasoline. It costs a bit more, but it is worth the extra price. Also, always add fuel stabilizer to the gasoline (Sta-Bil brand or equivalent) when you buy the gasoline. It will really help if there are extended times between starts. 

The reason for not using gasoline with ethanol is that ethanol attracts water. When combined, it can seriously gum up the carburetor jets. I have had to replace the carburetor on more than one small engine where ethanol gasoline had been used. Since switching to ethanol-free gasoline and using stabilizer, I have not had any problems.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 1:22pm
Yes, I should have mentioned that the primary reason that gasoline these days gums up is because of the way that ethanol (gasohol, E-10, etc) attracts water into the gasoline when it sits in a vented (open to the atmosphere) tank, gas can, or, carburetor.

A sealed gas can with NO pressure venting is a 'must have' for fueling your genset, especially if you can't find pure gas locally wherever you are. 

And if you can find it, buy PURE gasoline, usually stated as 'NO ETHANOL' or 'ETHANOL FREE' on the pump. It will generally cost a bit more. Put this gasoline in a sealed gas can...use it for small engines like lawnmowers and generators, and you should also keep a can of Seafoam or Startron for those times when you can't find the pure gas.

There is at least one website that helps you find pure gasoline:

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 1:38pm
Great...all this is why I'm going with propane. Plus I have nowhere to carry a gas can.
Julie
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 1:53pm
lol...ok...I use gasoline because it provides the generator's rated power, more or less, and carrying several extra propane bottles and tanks is not my idea of fun...

Pros and cons to each!

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 2:41pm
You don’t want gasoline inside an SUV. Stinky. Also I like running the generator on propane because I only need to carry one type of fuel which can work on both the gen and rpod appliances. Simpler that way.

I find that I usually need several pulls when starting my Honda 2k on propane. The reason is that you still have to get the air/fuel mixture right to get a start, and if you turn on the propane and wait too long to pull you will have too much fuel, if you pull too early you won’t have enough. A couple of pulls clears it. It’s not hard to pull though, but for sure you should try before you buy to be sure you are comfortable with the force involved.

The alternative of a big heavy generator is a non starter for anyone with back issues so an Easystart is a requirement if you want to run the a/c reliably. If you’re not running the a/c a single propane cylinder will last a long time running the trailer and generator, if you are running the a/c you can go through a cylinder in a day so will want at least 2.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 3:20pm
Yep, and another BTW, I prefer to use a plastic propane tank 'stand' for the tanks when in use, and when in the vehicle, I store the 20 pound propane tanks in milk crates....sure does help keep them steady.
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 3:58pm
It's helpful to hear how much propane I might use for the generator. ...thanks
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 4:15pm
NFPA requires propane cylinders to be transported upright and secured. So plastic milk crates, flat floors and tie downs, or the equivalent are required. Up to 4 lb cylinders don’t have to be upright. You can transport up to 90 lbs of propane (cylinder capacity) in an enclosed vehicle. Max cylinder size is 45lbs. Up to 420 lbs in an open truck bed if you ever needed that much. You often see “requirements” for keeping the trunk lid open and stuff like that but those are just some company’s recommendations, not regulatory as far as I can find. Of course, a dual propane RV mount would be best if you can stand the tongue weight.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:01pm
Here is the update for my new generator and pertinent info to pas on relative to this post--
I purchased the Honda 2200, a Hutch Mountain Propane Conversion kit and a MicroAire easy start. We have just spent 3 weeks in Florida at a variety of camping options.  I can say that the Honda powered by propane will definitely run the A/C at Florida's elevation without problems on eco mode.
I carried a standard 20# propane tank nestled tightly in a plastic dairy crate in the back of our expedition.  I never smelled propane.
I'm happy with the total package
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>