Topic ClosedAggravations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aggravations
    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 12:12pm
I have brake controller and it works. I am purchasing a Hayes sway control. The engine has 245 hp and doesn't labor pulling, very seldom over 1800 rpm.....I have been in foothills not mountains so I know that will be the test.  The weight 3050 was weighed by FR before delivery which is 300 lbs or 10% off.  If they gave a weight range it would make more sense to me.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 12:02pm
I don't think dry weight includes a battery or any propane, and I forget what else.  Certainly no water, food, clothes, cooking utensils, blankets, toys, etc.  I don't know that FR is dishonest about this, but they probably do encourage you to think too optimistically about tow weights.

In my opinion, a 4-cylinder vehicle is always going to be marginal at best.  People use them and get away with them.  Make sure your trailer brakes are working correctly.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 11:13am
I have owned my RP189 for a couple of weeks.....really love it.  My aggravation is in the company's dry weight listing.  From what I have been seeing on this forum a fair number of folks want to pull r-pods with mid size SUVs.  I researched dry weight - 2773 lbs and tongue weight 281 lbs and felt I was within range of pulling with my 2017 Ford Escape with towing package rated at 3500 lb.  It has a 245hp turbo 4 cyl.  I knew it was somewhat marginal.  Well actual weight was 3050 and tongue weight was about 475.  Most of this was due to the original owner putting two #30 propane tanks at the front.  I have reduced it to one tank and now the tongue weight is manageable.  I pull it with all water tanks empty.  I am taking out the folding table because it is really heavy and pretty useless.  We are using folding TV trays.  I guess my aggravation is I bought the Escape specifically because it got good mileage and would tow 3500 lbs.  It was my understanding that R-Pods were designed to be a step up from teardrop campers that would give you more amenities and room......and were light.  My Escape will easily pull the 189 at 60 mph and I have been getting between 15 and 16 mpg.  If FR was honest about the dry weight it would have at least made my research more accurate and possibly made me take a different direction.  Just needed to spout off about this because it has caused me a lot of aggravation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567