Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAggravations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aggravations
    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 11:13am
I have owned my RP189 for a couple of weeks.....really love it.  My aggravation is in the company's dry weight listing.  From what I have been seeing on this forum a fair number of folks want to pull r-pods with mid size SUVs.  I researched dry weight - 2773 lbs and tongue weight 281 lbs and felt I was within range of pulling with my 2017 Ford Escape with towing package rated at 3500 lb.  It has a 245hp turbo 4 cyl.  I knew it was somewhat marginal.  Well actual weight was 3050 and tongue weight was about 475.  Most of this was due to the original owner putting two #30 propane tanks at the front.  I have reduced it to one tank and now the tongue weight is manageable.  I pull it with all water tanks empty.  I am taking out the folding table because it is really heavy and pretty useless.  We are using folding TV trays.  I guess my aggravation is I bought the Escape specifically because it got good mileage and would tow 3500 lbs.  It was my understanding that R-Pods were designed to be a step up from teardrop campers that would give you more amenities and room......and were light.  My Escape will easily pull the 189 at 60 mph and I have been getting between 15 and 16 mpg.  If FR was honest about the dry weight it would have at least made my research more accurate and possibly made me take a different direction.  Just needed to spout off about this because it has caused me a lot of aggravation.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 12:02pm
I don't think dry weight includes a battery or any propane, and I forget what else.  Certainly no water, food, clothes, cooking utensils, blankets, toys, etc.  I don't know that FR is dishonest about this, but they probably do encourage you to think too optimistically about tow weights.

In my opinion, a 4-cylinder vehicle is always going to be marginal at best.  People use them and get away with them.  Make sure your trailer brakes are working correctly.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 12:12pm
I have brake controller and it works. I am purchasing a Hayes sway control. The engine has 245 hp and doesn't labor pulling, very seldom over 1800 rpm.....I have been in foothills not mountains so I know that will be the test.  The weight 3050 was weighed by FR before delivery which is 300 lbs or 10% off.  If they gave a weight range it would make more sense to me.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 12:44pm
The advice on this list is fairly consistent in suggesting the dry weight is NOT the number to use when calculating your towing requirements. I know I advise people to use the gross weight rating. For the 189 that is going to be in the 3800 lb (and I think a bit more) range. I would not tow a 189 unless I had a tow vehicle that was capable of 5000-6000 lbs in order to have enough margin.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 1:24pm
Believe me I get what you are saying.  I didn't go to this site when researching.  I wanted a vehicle that got good mileage when not towing which the Escape does.  If the actual dry weight was as advertised I wouldn't be having this issue.  Once you have purchased a TV you the cost for changing is not small change.  So far the way I am using it I am within specs but just barely so the dry weight discrepency is significant.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 3:35pm
I know that FR weighs the RPods just before they roll out of the factory, so they are putting an accurate weight on them. What is not weighted, as previously stated, is things that are added at the dealer before delivery. That includes things like a battery, a propane tank, and of course, water. I don't know if the shore power cord is included or not. You are in the same boat I was with the Escape. We had purchased it with the thought of purchasing a smaller fiberglass shell trailer. We got scammed on that, so I looked for something within the limits of the vehicle. I purchased our 179 because of the weight posted on the dealer's site. We towed for a number of long-distance trips before we had the accident with ice and a strong cross-wind. We had no choice but to get a different tow vehicle as we needed to get home. I took a huge depreciation hit on selling the Escape after it was finally repaired, but we did get the Frontier which has a 6100 lb tow rating.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 7:25pm
For now I am just making short camp runs.  We are going to the Eastern Shores next week....only about an hour drive.  I am getting ready to order the Hayes unit.  I really haven't felt uncomfortable towing but I haven't been in any bad conditions.  I think they do a disservice to newbies to not explain it better because you pretty much have to have a battery and propane.  I may get another TV if I find that it just doesn't work out but for now I feel like it is working.
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 6:47am
You should always add 800 - 900 pounds to the dry weight when estimating the loaded weight. Beyond that, don't use the dry weight to calculate anything.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:32am
You really should get a heavier tow vehicle. Both the trailer manufacturers and TV manufacturers mislead you. You now know about the empty weight nonsense. The tow vehicle nonsense is the way they rate them. They are empty of everything except a skinny driver. Together the two forms of exaggeration become just plain dangerous. 

A 3500 lb tow SUV is not considered a mid size, it is a compact. You need at least a mid size one, like my Highlander or equivalent, at 5000 lbs/500 tongue. AWD and also be sure the manufacturer authorizes the use of  a weight distribution hitch.  About a 20 gallon fuel tank, the 15 or so gallons in the compact SUV's will drive you crazy after awhile. 

With the Highlander,  I can load the trailer to near its max gross wt of 3800 lbs, put myself, my wife, a modest amount of gear in the TV and be about 800 lbs under the max gross combined vehicle weight rating. And keep the tongue weight up near 500 where the trailer is stable and doesn't sway. I consider that the minimum TV , I wouldn't tow anything heavier. 

You really want to stay well under the MCGVWR. Weigh the rig and see. Its not a horsepower issue, its a load handling issue. You can always climb hills slowly, but if your TV doesn't have the capacity to control the trailer, or you are lightening the tongue weight too much to try to get that in spec, then you have an accident waiting to happen. All that is needed is an unexpected wind or slick pavement event or some traffic blocking the roadway on a turn somewhere when you don't expect it. 

Not sure which Escape you have, but it looks like they have an EPA rating around 22 city/28 highway. My Highlander V6 AWD is rated at 17 city/ 22 highway. I'm rarely that low but I drive conservatively. That works out to about 120 gallons a year difference in fuel consumption if you drive 12000 miles a year not towing. You won't have any noticeable difference towing, more than likely. From a cost standpoint that's pretty negligible. From a pollution standpoint its significant but not worth dying in an accident for. The cost difference between a compact and midsize SUV is not that much and can be made up for by buying a slightly older version midsize. 

Re FR actually weighing the trailers, I'm quite certain mine was not. My sticker weight numbers are identical to the published ones, the likelihood of that happening is near zero, and I've never been able to account for about 150 lbs of weight when I've compared my actual weight to published numbers. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:13am
As I've stated in the past, and I'll say it again, the registry should not allow the sale, or registration of a camper unless that person has a registered vehicle capable of towing it. If someone is thinking of buying a camper, they should be able to go to the rmv site, and plug in the camper they want, and match it to their tow vehicle, and get an answer. The registry should be there to do more than just take our money. They are supposed to determine if a vehicle is street legal. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>