Topic ClosedAggravations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aggravations
    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 6:15pm
No, it is where you press the button on the side of the shifter (if I recall correctly) and that puts it in sport mode. You don't use the paddles.Your owner's manual can confirm if my memory is correct or not.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:41am
Just as a note, according to the owners manual, regardless of weight, you are out spec for towing a pod. Your owners manual, on page 207, states that you have a 20 or 30 square foot maximum frontal area (depending on tow package). An RPod is more than double that.

Towing isn't about any one specification.. You have to take a look at all of the specs.
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:46am
That includes the frontal area of the car as well.  What you are saying would mean there is no trailer you can tow.  Mine has the 30 square foot and the r-pod is not exactly flat across the front.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:06am
No, it doesn't include the vehicle front. And it does not mean there is no trailer it can pull, it means it can't pull an RPod. Many pop up and A-frame trailers are under 30sqft,and most real tear drops.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:26am
I really don't want to litigate this.  Lets compare a Highlander-  109in wb Escape 105in wb   Highlander 188in length Escape 178in  Highlander V-6 - 243hp  Escape 2.0 Turbo  - 245 hp.  StephenH was towing with an Escape and his accident involved high winds and ice....Do you think the 600 lb weight difference would have made a difference.  Again how do you define frontal area when the r-pod is not flat which is another reason I picked it. It's front end is very similar to a teardrop.  In checking the other forums on this there are a lot of people using Escapes as I am.....I am aware that it is not the best tow vehicle.  I feel like you are trying to look for reasons.  I appreciate the help I have gotten on the forum.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:42am
From the towing instruction from Ford:
The chart shows the maximum trailer frontal area that must be considered for a vehicle/trailer combination. Exceeding these limitations may significantly reduce the performance of your towing vehicle.

Doesn't say it will void warranty.  I was getting 15 to 16 mpg from Penn. to VA. and I ran between 55 and 60 most of the way.   So I am not seeing a big hit on performance.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:54pm
Well I got lucky......found the hayes sway control unit on e-bay....brand new for $210.00.  WooHoo!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by pedwards2932

I really don't want to litigate this.  Lets compare a Highlander-  109in wb Escape 105in wb   Highlander 188in length Escape 178in  Highlander V-6 - 243hp  Escape 2.0 Turbo  - 245 hp.  StephenH was towing with an Escape and his accident involved high winds and ice....Do you think the 600 lb weight difference would have made a difference.  Again how do you define frontal area when the r-pod is not flat which is another reason I picked it. It's front end is very similar to a teardrop.  In checking the other forums on this there are a lot of people using Escapes as I am.....I am aware that it is not the best tow vehicle.  I feel like you are trying to look for reasons.  I appreciate the help I have gotten on the forum.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers. My Highlander curb wt is 4600 so it weighs about 1000 lbs more than the Escape. And its 270 hp, not that I think the hp matters much. And yes I really think that the wt and wheelbase difference are significant. As is the hitch weight capacity. And so does Toyota. The comparable compact SUV from Toyota is the Rav4, 3500 lbs curb wt, 106 inch wb, comes with the same 270 hp V6 as the Highlander, Tow rating 3500 lbs. I like Toyotas but I wouldn't tow my 179 with a Rav any more than I would with an Escape. 

Trailer drag is much more a function of the rear shape of the trailer than the front. That's because that's where a vacuum is created unless the taper angle is very shallow, around 15-20 degrees. Most teardrops' taper is much higher that, much less an rpod. And its easy to find lots of people doing lots of dumb things on the internet. 

No one is trying to look for reasons for you not to tow with your Escape. We are trying to share our experiences to help keep and others on the road with you safe. Do what you want.  But please as a minimum get your actual trailer, tow vehicle, and combined vehicle weights and see if you are within specs at least. You won't want the liability if you aren't and have an accident where others are involved. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by offgrid

Re FR actually weighing the trailers, I'm quite certain mine was not. My sticker weight numbers are identical to the published ones, the likelihood of that happening is near zero, and I've never been able to account for about 150 lbs of weight when I've compared my actual weight to published numbers.

I was at the factory and saw them weighing the trailer in order to generate the sticker. I stand behind my comment as being accurate.

So, you saw them weigh your trailer. I am not challenging that. Extrapolating from there to the statement that FR weighs ALL trailers is what I challenge. How could you know that? I'll stand by my statement that it is extremely unlikely that my trailer sticker represents its actual weight. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:41pm
I am going to make sure the weight is correct tomorrow.  I got the specs for a 2012 Highlander online and was just using as example.  Length difference is 10"  Wheelbase is 4".  Weifht is 650 lb difference. 

Dimensions 2012 Highlander
  • Wheelbase (in.): 109.8
  • Length, Overall (in.): 188.4
  • Width, Max w/o mirrors (in.): 75.2
  • Measurements
  • Base Curb Weight (lbs.): 4266   Escape is 3613
  • Engine Type: Gas V6
  • Displacement: 3.5L/211
  • Horsepower (Net @ RPM): 270 @ 6200 (I misread the hp)
  • Sorry if I misrepresented the documentation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>