R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing MPG??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing MPG??
    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 4:42pm
Sounds like they have come a long way. No auto leveling electric jacks back in the day, or at least nothing generally available. Ran around cranking them one by one. I also had a pass through boot to the cab which was a pain to connect up and keep from leaking, but double cab pickups were rare then so our kids rode in the back and needed supervision and a/c. 

IIRC, my other problem was getting it lined up and centered where I wanted it when putting it on the truck. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 4:07pm
Yes, at least the people we know who use them say no big issue. The ones we are looking at have power jacks/levelers. Use FastGuns tie downs. Flip 4 levers, unplug the umbilical, press the button on the remote to lift the camper, pull out from underneath, press button to level and lower the camper. Make s'mores.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:37am
Originally posted by furpod

We camp with friends in the winter for a bit who have an Earthroamer.. Interestingly rig, but bigger than we want and you can't drop it like a slide in..

It's been about 35 years since I had a slide in truck camper, and I recall it being a pain taking it on and off the truck, to the point that we just didn't use it, because I needed the truck to be a truck during the week.  Wound up selling it and getting a Toyota mini motorhome that we could just get in and go. 

Are the slide ins any easier to deal with these days? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

We camp with friends in the winter for a bit who have an Earthroamer.. Interestingly rig, but bigger than we want and you can't drop it like a slide in..

Research Overlanders and check the lifting roof models. Sized much better, low drive profile. You can get either a slide in or frame up. I built a frame up due to better floor area. 

Yes.. that would be MY choice.. I have been to the Four Wheel Campers factory 3 times, and know exactly which model I want.. My parents live about 20 minutes from there, and as a kid, my uncle had one. We were overlanding in the high sierra and "rural" western Nevada long before it was cool.. LOL

But my co-pilot is not interested in such ruggedness. She wants a full bath, and full facilities and nothing smaller then our 177 was. So...
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:45am

Research Overlanders and check the lifting roof models. Sized much better, low drive profile. You can get either a slide in or frame up. I built a frame up due to better floor area. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:06pm
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 5:34pm
Wow, that is a serious truck camper. I assume you are never expecting to take it off the truck? How about a dedicated expedition rig like this as an alternative  Big smile?

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by jato

That said, we anticipate a change in our camper needs in a few more years, and intended to go back to a Pod, but the out of production status of both the 177 and 178, means we probably won't.
  Furpod

Alas !  There is always the possibility of purchasing a used 177 or 178 as they haven't been out of production that long.  Of course if you are going to keep your Lance for another 5+ years before deciding to return to the R-Pod, it may be a bit more difficult to find one gently used and in mint condition.
[/QUOTE]

It will probably be 6 years.. while I continue to enjoy, and lounge about in retirement, she still has a ways to get to 62.. or even worse, 65. LOL
Hard to believe it's been almost 25 years since I hung up my spurs..
(we are actually, seriously, considering a slide in truck camper. Lance 1172 on a F450 4x4 is the current dream rig)
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 3:54pm
LOL, OG! I'd do the same!

We found we could average 14mpg with our 2017 Tacoma, but I drove at 62mph max. Rpm's were kept low and typically the last one up the hills (unless there was a hiker nearby). 

Personally, I don't believe there's a difference between manufacture's when it comes to towing mpg. More like your driving style/habit.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 3:45pm

That said, we anticipate a change in our camper needs in a few more years, and intended to go back to a Pod, but the out of production status of both the 177 and 178, means we probably won't.
[/QUOTE]  Furpod

Alas !  There is always the possibility of purchasing a used 177 or 178 as they haven't been out of production that long.  Of course if you are going to keep your Lance for another 5+ years before deciding to return to the R-Pod, it may be a bit more difficult to find one gently used and in mint condition.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>