R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossible Hub Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Hub Issue
    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 6:48pm
Today I removed my wheels for the first time to take them to have new tires installed.  While one of the wheels was off the ground, I noticed there was a slight amount of friction when turning the wheel.  The wheel could still turn freely, but I could hear it and feel it slowing down the rotation.  It seams like the friction is only when the wheel it in one position, and is not consistent.  Does this mean I have a brake issue, or a bearing issue?

I just returned from a 1000 mile trip with no issues, and I am getting ready to go on a 3000 mile trip next week.  I have had the pod for about 7 months (bought new) and have put about 9K miles on it. I am concerned but I am not sure if I have the skills to fix this problem.  I guess I need to try to pull the hub, but I am worried I will get in over my head.  Would replacing grease using the EZ lubes be something I should do?  Any advice is appreciated.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:06pm
What you are hearing and seeing is the magnet for the electric brakes dragging against the drum. It isn't unusual. As long as the drag isn't sufficient to prevent you from turning the wheel, it isn't too bad. You can back the brakes off a little. On the back there are two rubber plugs. Remove them. Use a flat tool to lift the locking lever and another to turn the star wheel to adjust the brakes. If you do not feel confident enough to do this, set up an appointment to have the brakes checked. Depending on how long you have had the trailer, it may well be time to lube the hubs also. Before shooting grease into the EZ Lube fittings, pull up a video on YouTube to see how to do so properly. Also, make sure you know what kind of grease was used for your hubs. If the red lithium grease was used, don't switch to the green kind without thoroughly cleaning the old grease out of the bearings. That will require pulling the hubs to do so. The reason for doing so is that the two types of grease are not really compatible.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
vbdomenico View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:43pm
Thanks for the info Stephen.  I really don't want to pull the hubs off until my upcoming trip is over.  I may look more into the brake adjustment you are talking about.

I have studied on using the EZ lubes (and the reasons not to) and was thinking about doing it while I have it jacked up.  How do I know what the stock grease is?  I have a 2020 - 190.  Some people say to push the grease in until the old is all out, but I realize that can also cause problems if the back gasket fails.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 10:16pm
If you spin the wheel while you are pumping in the grease, it is less likely to leak at the back. That is why it is best to do so with the wheel jacked up. How do you tell which type? Remove the rubber plug and look to see if the visible grease is red or green. Depending on what you see, get the appropriate type of grease.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:51am
As StephenH says, what you are observing is the brake shoes dragging slightly on the drum. That is totally normal and indicates that the self adjuster on that brake is working correctly. You don't want too much clearance between the shoes and drum as that will cause the brake shoes to have to travel further to engage and reduce braking effectiveness. That tiny amount of drag doesn't hurt anything. If you couldn't turn the wheel without effort that would be another thing. 

This is a case of if its not broke don't fix it. I wouldn't fiddle with the brake adjustment on that wheel, it is very easy to over tighten the self adjusting brakes if you go the wrong direction and can be difficult to back them off again if you do.

Re the bearing grease, same thing in my opinion. You've had the trailer 7 months and will only have a few thousand miles on it when you get back from your trip. The bearing lube schedule is 12 months/10 or 12,000 miles depending on what you read. Nothing you need to do right now. Enjoy your trip!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:12am
Originally posted by offgrid

...Re the bearing grease, same thing in my opinion. You've had the trailer 7 months and will only have a few thousand miles on it when you get back from your trip. The bearing lube schedule is 12 months/10 or 12,000 miles depending on what you read. Nothing you need to do right now. Enjoy your trip!

Reading the OP I think he'll have about 12K on it after his next trip.  May be time, eh?

So...do you veterans trust dealers or dedicated RV repair places more when it comes to bearing repacking?  That's not something I am going to tackle myself...last time I packed bearings was on my racing bicycle bottom bracket back in the 1980s.  That was a much smaller job.

2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:28am
I'd do the repack when I got back from the trip or if its going into storage I'd do it in the spring. I don't personally like the super lube system so don't use it, too easy to bust a seal and get grease on the brake shoes. 

I do my own repacking, messy but not hard at all, but that's me. Nothing like the feeling of bearing grease on your fingers to make you feel like Joe Mechanic. Tongue

I would go to a local shop with a good reputation before I'd go to a dealer. The local shop doesn't have a captive audience so has to depend on actually providing good service. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:28am
Actually, repacking the bearings is not too difficult, but if you do remove the hub, you should replace the rear seal. That is a chore. There is a tool to help remove the old seal. It will be in there quite tight. A block of wood and a mallet can help drive the new seal in. It is rather messy. There are, of course, youtube videos that can guide one though the process.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
vbdomenico View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 3:20pm
Thanks guys.  I am going to ride this trip out and then use EZ lube or schedule a repacking when I get back.  At least I will have a brand new set of Carlisles for the trip.  Original Castle Rocks did good for the first 9K miles, but I did not want to push it.
 Post Reply Post Reply