R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFresh Water Refill (Water Jug)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh Water Refill (Water Jug)
    Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:44pm
The campgrounds where we like to stay are fairly rustic.  In particular, we love Ontario Parks: the campsites themselves tend to be large and private.  Some campsites offer hydro (electricity), but most don't.  No campsites offer on-site water.  Instead, there are communal spigots throughout the campgrounds, and portble water is generally available near the dumpstation.

For the most part, we'll stop at the dumpstation or a campground spigot on the way in and fill the trailer's fresh water tank.  But, that'll usually last only 2-3 days.  On longer trips, the fresh tank must be refilled while the trailer is at the campsite.  Filling water jugs and trying to pour their contents into the trailer's fresh water tank gets old very quickly.  Rigging up a funnel helps, but with a 36 gallon fresh water tank on my trailer, there's a  lot of water to move around.  So, I've come up with something a bit better.

Note: For some of you who mostly stay at full-service campsites, my fresh water collection may seem like overkill.  But, for those who frequently dry camp and have to deal with replenishing fresh water on a regular basis, maybe I can inspire your own solution.

Step 1: Collecting the water.

In addition to a short length of RV water hose, I've got a Water Bandit and a filler nozzle with an on/off valve. Not pictured: I also carry 3 collapsible water jugs.

The communal spigot:

This spigot has something welded to the tap so I can't screw on a normal hose. Thats ok! Thats what the Water Bandit is for!

Water Bandit, short hose, filler nozzle and water jug all work for a hands-free fill. No desperate struggle trying to hold the water jug up to the tap with this setup!

Step 2: Transferring the water from the jug to the trailer's fresh water tank.

I've repurposed an 800 gph (13.3 gpm) live well pump to transfer fresh water from the jug to my trailer's tank. For power, I've added an on/off switch, length of wire and a 12v plug. On the water-input side, I've fitted the pump into a spare water jug lid. On the water-output side, I've attached a short length of hose, threaded adapter and a quick-release.

The pump plugs into this convenient 12v accessory outlet I installed on the side of my battery box.

My short length of RV water hose sees dual duty. In addition to filling the water jug, its also used in emptying the jug. The Water Bandit isn't needed tho, so I've disconnected it using the quick-release.

It only takes two full revolutions to screw on the pump. Note that I don't attach the hose until after the pump is screwed onto the water jug; fewer things flopping around.

I've connected the hose, tipped the water jug on its side and flipped the switch. In less than 30 seconds, the jug is emptied into my trailer's tank.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 7:49am
Very good!  I have used a hose and a funnel.  It works.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 8:24am
Great solution, we usually run out of water before the end of out trips also. I have a small step ladder, it is the perfect height to put the water jug on to bring it up higher than the level of the filler plug on the trailer. I put a flexible funnel in the filler hole and tip the jug on it's side while it on top of the ladder, this way I don't have to struggle trying to hold onto a 5 gallon jug.
By the way, in one of your pictures it looks like you have a channel for carrying a bicycle? If that is true could you send a clearer picture of it please.
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 9:47am

Just looked around the house and was able to come up with all the parts to make a pump for fresh water.  Thanks for the idea!  Also like the bike carrier you have on the front of your camper going to try to do that on mine.

Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 11:39am
Just looked around the house and was able to come up with all the parts to make a pump for fresh water.  Thanks for the idea!  Also like the bike carrier you have on the front of your camper going to try to do that on mine.

Thanks!  Good luck with your water pump!

As far as the bike carrier, I was proud of myself for that one; it was also fairly inexpensive.  Of course, it'll only hold one bike.  If I needed to carry more than one, I would have considered a Top Pop carrier.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 12:03pm
The TopPoP was what I was thinking if I need more than 1!  Now I have a picture to show the wife. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 5:40pm
I like that TopPop, although on the 'pod the bikes would be right in the airflow going up over the top.  There goes another 1-2 mpg!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply