FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew ‘21 179 Maiden Voyage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New ‘21 179 Maiden Voyage
    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:56pm
Hey all!

I’ve been searching for the perfect RV to pull with a 2016 4Runner and decided on a 2021 179. Due to Covid, I had zero hits in most all of Washington in my search. I found one in Missoula and called the dealer immediately. We worked a deal (pre-Covid pricing) and got everything worked out. I drove to Missoula this past Thursday and arrive promptly for my 9am appointment where they installed a brake controller while I signed paperwork. As a perk, I was given 2 nights at an RV park in Polson, MT (south end of Flathead Lake). I drove up there with a standard hitch (they filled the fresh water tank before I left - big mistake). It was dicey but I made it and enjoyed the stay in Polson. I decided it was imperative to go back to the dealer and have them install a weight distribution hitch - as I’m all about safety and taking as little chance as possible.

They installed it today and gave me free overnight stay on their lot so I could get a good start on the drive to Seattle tomorrow morning. I drove around the lot a few times before parking for the night and, wow! The Blue Ox SwayPro seems to be the answer.

I’ve stayed 3 nights in the 179 so far and am loving it in almost every day. (I’m 6’5” so the shower is .... tricky but manageable.) Forest River made some nice changes to the ‘21 models that surprised me.

Anyway, the point is I’m happy and quite proud to be part of the family.
2021 Rpod 179 Hood River, fully loaded
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 10:14pm
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod.

We have a 2016 RP179. I think it is one of the best models, even with the wet bath. We've made many trips in it and I've made many modifications to make it even better for us. Some may be useful, others, not so much given the changes in the newer models. The link is in my signature.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:09am
Welcome. We have a 2015 179 and have been very happy with it. 

I'm a bit surprised the 4Runner had issues towing it without the weight distribution hitch, even with the fresh water tank full. My Highlander certainly rides and handles better with the wdh but is still well within its specs without it and doesn't exhibit any bad tendencies. Filling the tank does significantly increase the trailer tongue weight, but mine is still just below 500 lbs and I have dual batteries installed. 

Since you are safety focused, you might want to refill the tank, load the trailer and 4Runner for travel, and get weights on the trailer, hitch, and tow vehicle.  You can do this using a public scale without any special equipment. Go through the scale with the trailer (wdh NOT tensioned), getting weights on all 3 axles (by adding one axle at a time depending on the scale), Then drop off the trailer and go through a second time getting the weight of each TV axle. The trailer weight is the difference between the total weight of the rig in the first weighing and the TV alone. The tongue weight is the difference between the 2 TV axles in the first and second weightings.

Here is a nice calculator that you can load all your numbers in and see where you wind up. Axle weights and MCGVWR are on your door sticker. The calculator also shows you what various wdh tension levels does to improve front/rear balance on your TV. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
cgrove1204 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:15am
Thank you both for the welcome and replies! I’m all for taking advice from people that have experience and know what they’re doing, so the advice and mods will definitely be taken and appreciated. I’m about to set off on the drive home and will report back later this evening.
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:45am
I also have 179 and have enjoyed it for four seasons now. I also use the Blue Ox Sway Pro and am very happy with it. Congrats on the new trailer! I have your big-brother TV (Toyota Tundra) which tows the 179 easily. All the best on your new adventures! ~pp 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 11:17am
I tow a 196 with my 2016 Dodge Durango with a V-6 and no sway bars or WD hitch with a full water tank and it tows fine no sway or anything else.  Maybe the Dodge is a bigger heavier rig than your Toyota.
The Pirate's Pod
cgrove1204 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:35pm
Made it back to Seattle today through intense winds (40-50mph) throughout the drive and had zero issues! I feel that without the Blue Ox, it would have been really dicey.

So, rookie mistake - on the initial drive to Flathead Lake, I didn’t lock the tranny in 4th, so it was constantly erratic which was all my doing. The drive back from Missoula it was locked into 4th and downshifted into 3rd on the steep climbs/passes and was able to maintain 60mph without issue. Apologies all. I’ve towed a few 6’x12’ cargo trailers and a few boats before but never something this heavy. Ugh. Live and learn.

Thanks again to all that replied. I truly appreciate how helpful everyone has been.
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 10:59pm
Congrats on your new 179 and welcome to the forum. We had a 2015 179 and I really liked it. The DW didn't care for the wet bath or having to climb over me on the east/west bed. The bed was a little short for my 6'4" to share with the DW and our dogs. By myself it was great, and it was easy to tow with the WDH behind our Tacoma most of the time. I'd go back to the 179 if the bed were north/south, but don't know how they'd swing it. Glad you're enjoying yours! Have fun.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 11:04pm
I HAD A 179 AND UPGRADED TO A 196
The Pirate's Pod
 Post Reply Post Reply