R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrpod 179 refrigerator replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: rpod 179 refrigerator replacement
    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:48pm
Im looking for information on purchasing another refrigerator that wil fit in the same opening. I currently have a rm8501 which is going to the dump. Never worked correctly ince i bought it in 2017. Also its discontinued so no parts are avaioable. Can someone suggest anew refrigerator dometic or otherwise that would fit thi rpod? Id also be interested in a used newer moel dmetic refrigerator.  thanks
gary
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:02pm
I think you can still buy the rm8501 new. Parts are another story, they are very expensive if you can get them. If you replace yours do pull all the good parts off, especially the circuit boards, I'm sure you can sell them, either here or on ebay. 

I don't know what other absorption fridges (I assume you want propane operation) will fit in its place. All absorption fridges are going to have performance issues compared to electric vapor compression ones. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
garyd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:32pm
Thanks. Do you know of a electric vapor refrig that would fit? I assume that's a sanford compressor refrig?
gary
garyd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:32pm
Sorry meant to be damford compressor

gary
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 6:04am
I am in the midst of replacing my Dometic RM 8501 as I write.  While it is true they are going to be discontinuing this model Forest River has these in stock as I just had one sent to me yesterday.  When I spoke to the FR rep. I was told last week they had just gotten a shipment of 6 from Dometic.  One was already spoken for so that leaves 4 still available as far as I know.  I was given an option as to getting the Norcold unit which is apparently the new replacement for the discontinuing Dometic.  My neighbor who has sold RV units for years told me to stay away from Norcold as they are cheaply made and have a poor track record on service.  If you are interested in replacing your Dometic with the same model and want more info on who to contact and phone # PM me or let me know on this site.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:16am
Originally posted by garyd

Sorry meant to be damford compressor

I think you mean Danfoss aka Secop 12/24Vdc compressors. The Danfoss units have been in use now for going on 40 years and have a good record for reliability. I don't know a specific unit that will fit but you can check out the Dometic CRX product line, I think they use the Secop compressor. You could also consider keeping the existing fridge box and retrofitting a Danfoss/Secop based refrigeration system in it. Kits for that are readily available for the cruising sailboat market, where propane use is considered unsafe. 

By mentioning the Danfoss system I assume that you intend to use the fridge boon docking. Otherwise you could just get a bar/dorm fridge and be done with it. One thing to know about the dc vapor compression fridges is that you will need a pretty healthy dc power system, probably an additional couple hundred amp hours of battery and couple hundred watts of solar, or plan on running the converter from a generator to recharge the battery quite a bit. 

Another thing, the absorption fridges are very capacity limited, if you put a lot of warm stuff in there the fridge won't stay cold. Not so with the vapor compression fridges, if you overload those they will run continuously trying to pull down the fridge temp, so things will get cold faster but at the expense of much increased electricity demand. There ain't no free lunch in other words. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply