R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing no pink in hot water lines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing no pink in hot water lines
    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:07pm
CharlieM
Thanks for your earlier post.  I will follow your advice to get the pod winterized. I think I'll wait to tackle the new bypass valve until spring.  Thanks for your input on Sharkbites and PEX.  I have no experience with either, so I appreciate everyone's personal preferences.  

Good to have options. :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:12pm
Thanks Tars. I pretty much fit the description of the beginner with no specialized tools (although I'm always happy to buy the right tool for the job) working in a tight space.  

Appreciate your input. Thanks for taking the time to give specifics.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:31am
The objection to auto antifreeze for plumbing is that it attracts animals and is toxic and bactericidal. So, don't put it on food surfaces but also don't put it on the ground or in a septic system. So where do you drain it safely?  It also costs more than RV antifreeze so why use it for a purpose for which it isn't intended?

I used to actually like sweating copper and using Wonder bread to dry out the pipes and all that. But that's kinda like enjoying driving an antique vehicle without a synchro tranny or programming a first gen PC because there was no software available for them. You enjoy the satisfaction coming from mastering a skill but you wouldn't want to return to the days when those were the only choices. Thumbs Down
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:14am
Originally posted by offgrid

The objection to auto antifreeze for plumbing is that it attracts animals and is toxic and bactericidal. So, don't put it on food surfaces but also don't put it on the ground or in a septic system. So where do you drain it safely?  It also costs more than RV antifreeze so why use it for a purpose for which it isn't intended?

Noted. Thanks.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:21am
I'm rethinking postponing the plumbing project till spring.  

If I were to do it now, can I tackle it after the steps of draining the fresh water, hot water and low drains? Good time to work on the new bypass?

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:38am
Originally posted by ampete

I'm rethinking postponing the plumbing project till spring.  

If I were to do it now, can I tackle it after the steps of draining the fresh water, hot water and low drains? Good time to work on the new bypass?

Yes, its a good time, either now or in the spring before de-winterizing. Your choice. If you do it now, leave the existing bypass open for the winter so it drains once you have the new one installed. Then close it in the spring for the season. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 10:58am
Offgrid

Thanks!  I'll see if I can find the supplies locally to do it today. Otherwise, in the spring...
mhfnet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 11:59am
I just winterized and had the same problem with the anti-freeze not coming through the lines to the sink and the problem was I forgot to put one of the two sets of low point drain caps on and it all got pumped out and fast, and felt like a fool! I assume the same will happen when another tap is left open. Lucky the stuff is only a couple bucks a gallon at walmart!
ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 4:58pm
CharlieM Tars Offgrid

MANY THANKS!  DONE!  I went with SharkBite as the local store did not have the crimping tool available to use the PEX crimps/clamps. I added the new bypass around the corner, a bit further from the regular shutoffs to cold/hot than ideal, but had no choice based on space needed.  

After draining all of the water, and blowing out the lines with air, I added in the new bypass. She passed the pink test! Pink out of both low point drains, closed 'em up; pink out of both cold and hot individually in the kitchen and bathroom. Thanks again for all of your support!

Winterized and confident :)
One last question:   Do I now leave the original (useless) bypass closed permanently, regardless of the season?

THANK YOU
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 5:08pm
Glad it’s worked out for you.

I would leave the old bypass open in winter just to be sure any condensation that might get collected in it drains into the water heater tank. In summer close it so it doesn’t create a hot to cold “short circuit”.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>