R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing no pink in hot water lines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing no pink in hot water lines
    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by offgrid

crimps vs clamps.

To fix this I recommend neither crimps or clamps.  SharkBite, or similar is the way to go!  No tools to buy.  Absurdly simple and secure.  The fittings are more expensive, so if you're going in the business of doing PEX fittings all day every day, buy the tools and the cheap fittings, but just for this, you'll come out way ahead with SharkBite and the ease with which they work is almost stupifying.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:18pm
We will just have to disagree on the Sharkbite stuff, although we do agree Pex is easy.

You are greatly exaggerating the breakeven point when buying the tool. The crimp tool is only about $20. You don’t need to install more than 2 or 3 fittings for that to pay for itself, you don’t need to work with pex all day everyday. Sharkbite fittings are way overpriced.

I’d much rather invest in a tool I can use for the rest of my life than a brand name fitting I only use once. I bought my crimp tool originally to do a small job but have since used it many times. Wound up replumbing a whole house because it was so easy, it’s paid for itself many times over.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:45pm
I may be exaggerating the breakeven point of the cost, but for small jobs, by people who aren't tool collectors like us (I have the tools too), Sharkbite-type fittings are a frigging blessing.  Even if they are more expensive they are so easy and fast, maybe you can't forget about the cost, but you can come pretty durn close.

I wonder how the math would work if you had to hire a plumber?  I have no idea what a plumber costs per hour, and I'm sure there are minimums involved, but, anyway, if you're paying for time, SharkBite fittings would probably come close to paying for themselves versus an hourly labor rate.

Again, for someone not at ease with plumbing jobs, they are so simple!!!  A kid who can stack blocks can plumb like a pro with SharkBite fittings.  And another thing: crimping tools can be a pain in the butt in tight places (like plumbing around an RV water heater).  No tools with SharkBite.

I don't have a vested interest in SharkBite.... but I may be talking myself into buying some of their stock. Smile

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 2:59pm
This spring I made a decision to purchase the hi-rise Thetford toilet giving an additional 4.5" rise; making my DW very happy with her artificial knee.  To the point - the only thing needed to do to make the change was to increase the length of the supply line by 4.5 inches.  SharkBite to the rescue!  No muss, no fuss.  Press on - done.  I like that.  After doing a lot of plumbing jobs using copper and solder, or at the golf course plastic and cement - that was a piece of cake.  Wish they had that years ago.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:01pm
Have you used both methods? I have. They are both very very easy, I wouldn't put the push on ones as significantly easier.   And the crimp tool won't release until you get it tight enough, so there is no skill involved in getting a good crimp.  PEX has truly "democratized" (small d) plumbing, anyone can do it. 

When I have used the push on ones it was for exactly the reason you suggested, couldn't get access with the crimper. That is certainly a valid reason, but its uncommon. We both saw the photos, the crimper can easily get to where it needs to in this case. 

Anyhow, to me any company that relies on their brand name to command an exorbitant price for their products is vulnerable to disruption from new market entrants. There are other alternative push on options to Sharkbite now. I think it would be a risky investment. Just like Monster Cable a few years ago. Charging 10x so you don't lose any signal on a DIGITAL cable, stupid business model. LOL

Anyhow, this is a silly thing to debate, either way will work just fine in this case, and I think ampete has sufficient info to decide for himself. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:17pm
Yes I have, and as you have wisely pointed out, both are easy to work with and each have their place.  I didn't have the PEX tools (although my son who lives 45 minutes away does) so going 10 minutes away to the hardware store was just a convenience thing for me, and being impetuous, didn't want to wait to get the 'free' tool to borrow from my son some time in the future.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:34pm
I don't miss sweating copper pipe, that's for sure. The Pex lasts longer and is more freeze tolerant. Cheap too. 

When I re-plumbed my old 1930's house I got a Pex water manifold and ran home runs to each fixture. Like a circuit breaker box for the plumbing. No valves needed at the fixtures and no tee fittings anywhere. You bring the supply line in the bottom, cold out the top to a wall mount tankless water heater mounted above, then hot back down to the hot side of the manifold.  Wow was that easy. Highly recommended. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ampete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:24pm
OFFGRID, JATO, TARS
Looks like I have 2 good options.  I am happy to hear that it should be pretty simple to do myself without paying for an RV plumber! I'll keep you posted, although I probably won't tackle it until the spring. 
Thanks again for sharing your expertise.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:47pm
First, use pink antifreeze in the P-traps and toilet bowel. Actually, and this should start a huge argument, regular auto antifreeze is fine for drains. Just don't let it get anywhere near food surfaces. Let the discussion begin.......

On Sharkbite vs Pex crimps: I've used both. Sharkebites are good but I think I trust the clamp rings a bit more in the vibration environment. I used a pair of Sharkbites in one location under the kitchen sink where I just couldn't get the clamp tool. The clamp tool I borrowed had long handles that really limited access. I have no experience using the Pex crimps. That said, the Sharkbites have not leaked over several years and many thousands of miles. They are easy to use.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:04pm
I have used both methods, and I have the tools to crimp, along with a pretty good supply crimps.  I'll use them without hesitation if and when...  I mostly spoke of SharkBite-type fittings, and was kidding about buying stock.  It's probably way to late for that.  I've sweated copper, threaded steel, done old black plastic pipe with screw clamps, and PEX.  SharkBite fittings are over-priced but they are hands down, the easiest thing to use by far.  Especially for beginners with no tools, in tight places.

I still kinda like sweating copper, but maybe except in rare cases, its time has pretty much come and gone....

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>