R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurnace A/C Error Message E-1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace A/C Error Message E-1
    Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 3:05pm
I cant even get the blower fan to turn on to circulate the air.  Thermostat not talking to anything. But seems to be functional other than that

Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 7:19pm
Ok I replaced the thermostat tonight when I got home.   No change.  Still getting E-1.  I cant find  a replacement control board as of yet.  It is a Dometic Penguin II  according to the model # search. 

Still open for suggestions.   I did find the ground up top it was a yellow wire with red strip.  It was tight. 
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 5:06am

Just to be clear, you're trying to get the Suburban propane furnace to work not the Dometic roof air conditioner right? 

The furnace does not need the a/c for it to work, but unfortunately in its infinite wisdom FR decided to change from a simple dedicated furnace thermostat to a fancy LCD model that also has to have connection to the a/c for it to work. The E-1 error is telling you that that a/c connection isn't there for some reason.

The furnace itself only needs a simple thermostat that closes a circuit when its calling for heat. That circuit is supplied by the furnace using two wires. If you identify those two wires and temporarily short them together the furnace should run. I suggest that you do that first so you know for sure where your problems are before tearing into the air conditioner.

I posted a link to the furnace manual earlier. If you aren't comfortable reading that to ID the right wires  maybe you can get your friend who does HVAC work to come back and do that for you.

You will need 12V power to test the furnace. The blower that's not working is the furnace blower, yes? Do your other 12V loads (lights, bath vent fan, water pump, etc) work? 

If you can confirm that your furnace is OK you can try to dig into the a/c controls or you might want to just install a simple cheap 2 wire furnace thermostat and get rid of the unnecessary complexity that FR has decided to do. That's what my 2015 179 has and it works perfectly well. Complicated isn't necessarily better, its usually the opposite. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-161154-Wall-Thermostat/dp/B003VB0YEC/ref=asc_df_B003VB0YEC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242042684287&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14856842385697236832&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008704&hvtargid=pla-582577147814&psc=1

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:02am
Offgrid - off topic sort of - are you saying that the thermostat you show above will work with the furnace and a/c unit in the newer FR pods? The DW or I bump our fancy thermostat and change settings from time to time then I have to remember how to push/hold/find glasses/cuss and reset. I like simple if it works with new. Thanks, GB
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Dirt Sifter

Offgrid - off topic sort of - are you saying that the thermostat you show above will work with the furnace and a/c unit in the newer FR pods? The DW or I bump our fancy thermostat and change settings from time to time then I have to remember how to push/hold/find glasses/cuss and reset. I like simple if it works with new. Thanks, GB

Not off topic at all, it will operate the furnace only. I was suggesting it for Tearless because it sounds like he is under the gun to get the furnace in his trailer working for his guests. 

The a/c's on the older rpods (like my 2015 179) have their tstats inside the interior a/c cover. I don't know what would be required to get a simple thermostat working in the newer Dometic a/c's, but I'd guess there would be a way. 

I'm with you on simplicity, some things have just gotten way more complicated than necessary. Thermostats are one of them in my opinion. The manufacturers seem to be in a race to add "features" most of which most folks will never fully understand much less use, especially not in a travel trailer.

The British have a great phrase they use for the preference for simple solutions that get the job done, "cheap and cheerful" they call it. Says it all I think. Thumbs Up
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 8:38pm

Actually it was both the A/C and heater as well as the fan that will not come on.   Which leads us to believe if not the thermostat which we have ruled out the next most likely culprit would be the circuit board.  It took some doing and several phone calls and to dealers but I finally found the newest version of the circuit board.  Ordered it tonight.   

I was able to track down the ground wire. It was hidden behind some other wires but it was secure .

If the new board doesn't fix we had already discussed what you were referring to by bypassing the board and connecting a simple stupid  or not smart thermostat directly to the air conditioner and heater.  I forget exactly how he was going to do it but like I said electrical is my achilleas heel .
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:00pm
Glad you are on the forum Tom. You are making me break a sweat; keep us posted.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Dirt Sifter

Glad you are on the forum Tom. You are making me break a sweat; keep us posted.

LOL  Not sure if that was a complement or not but I will take it as one.  I am VERY left handed or right brain oriented.   My thought process is rarely on track with others around me.  

I will let you all know what happens with the new circuit board is installed.

Oh by the way the OEM circuit board # is:  3313199.000. The newest correct version is" 3313107.076.

Boatandrvaccessories.com  has the best prices.  

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/dometic-3313107076-oem-s-z-air-conditioner-control-board-c-f
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 8:32am
Originally posted by TearlessTom

If the new board doesn't fix we had already discussed what you were referring to by bypassing the board and connecting a simple stupid  or not smart thermostat directly to the air conditioner and heater.  I forget exactly how he was going to do it but like I said electrical is my achilleas heel .

As Forrest Gump says, "stupid is as stupid does". Since the a/c in rpods is not a heat pump there is zero benefit -none- in having a complex control system that integrates the furnace and the a/c. Unlike in your house where you might need a control system to switch between heat pump and furnace operation automatically based on outside air temp, no one is ever going to run both at the same time in the trailer. It just makes both more prone to failure and confusion. If the circuit board doesn't work I would just get a dedicated simple thermostat for each piece of equipment and call it good, it will improve maintenance troubleshooting and simplify operation going forward.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:24pm
I would like to thank everyone here for their help and suggestions.  As stated I was finally able to locate the board replacement and found a price of 1/2 the local stores were wanting to order it for me.   It was about $45.  

It took 3-4 days to arrive.  I installed it today.  Took about 15 minutes ..

TaDaaa!!!!  Problem is resolved.  The board fixed the problem.   

So my biggest expense was the replacement thermostat which couldn't be returned after installed so I have a replacement spare thermometer now. Doesn't take up much room in the drawer.  

Thanks again.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12