R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFurnace A/C Error Message E-1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace A/C Error Message E-1
    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:26pm
I did a search but nothing came up.

I was out today in my 180,  I have it hooked to 110V shore power.  I have company coming in for the week. (better half out of town kids and step-kids) They are coming in town for a wedding. So I graciously offered to leave the house to the girls  and I was going to sleep in the R-Pod  so they can talk all night like I know they will. 

Anyway I went out today and turned on the Heat / A/C unit and turned to automatic and got an Error Message of E-1.  The weather today was a very mild upper 60s lower 70s  but I could not get the unit to respond to either heat or cooling. 

What does E-1 mean and how do I trouble shoot and repair it   I checked the fuses and breakers all were good. 

What do I do next?

TIA
Tom
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 11:47am
I believe loss of comms between thermostat and AC unit. I found manual on line that says that. First recommendation is a power down and power up from a complete "cold" start. That means all CBs off and power to Pod disconnected. Some recommend you disconnect battery, let set for 15-20 minutes and repower. There is a procedure to reset thermostat, that should be in manual.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:17pm
Thanks, That is all I found also is to power down and restart.   I just disconnected the battery and shore power and waiting now.  Heading to Sam's, will turn back on when I get back.  

What is the procedure to turn on from cold start?  
Do you have a link to the manual?

I bought the R-Pod used so I don't have ANY of the original paperwork on anything.  

If that fails I guess its time to get on the roof and look at the unit.  I just came through Hurricane Sally   Which the Pod didn't move that I can tell but I have it parked in a very protected area of my yard.   Privacy fence on the back side, tall azalea behind it and parked under an Oak tree.  with house on door entrance side and my truck parked in front.  

I do keep it covered with a large tarp that is staked out.  The tarp broke loose about 1/2  way through Sally and got hung up on the antenna and the awning.   So it may have knocked something loose up top.   

So If this doesn't work I go topside this afternoon.  

Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:11pm
Tearless, when I bought my Pod in 2015 there was no manual. I built mine from the interweb. I don't think you issue is on the roof. Lets see what happens after the "cold" start. There are many posts on numerous forums about this same issue to numerous to send you. Your issue is the thermostat is not talking to the AC unit.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:26pm
I believe you are correct as to the non-communication. I have found that on several places on the web.

I've checked all my breakers and fuses, All seem to be good.  I unplugged my shore supply line and disconnected 12volt.   Let it set for an hour or two and plugged back in.    Same issue.    So I went top side and inspected the unit.  I couldn't see any loose, or corroded wires.    There were a few ants  in the box but they were on the outside of the electrical works  None on the inside.    My concern topside were due to Hurricane Sally thinking she may have pulled something loose but nothing unusual noted. 

I sprayed it all down with contact cleaner just in case.  

So what is my weak spot the thermostat itself??? or should I look elsewhere.   We did get a few power surges during the storm but the unit wasn't turned on and I had no blown fuses. 

Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:53am
Somebody needs to explain to me why in the newer rpods FR has created confusion by connecting the heater thermostat to the a/c.

There are two wires  leading from the furnace to the thermostat. I believe the internal wires in the furnace they are connected to are blue. I wouldn't trust FR to use any consistent color code on their end. 

All the thermostat does is close the circuit between those two wires to turn on the furnace and open them to shut it off. So, if you want to test to be sure your thermostat is the problem, just find the terminal positions at the furnace where the thermostat wires originate and jumper them together. Its all at 12V so no risk of electric shock. Of course, you have to wait a couple of minutes for the furnace to complete its turn on sequence. 

Here is the manual. 

If the furnace works when you jumper the tstat terminals then the tstat is the problem.  If it was me I'd try to figure out how to replace it with one that isn't connected to the a/c. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:14pm
There is a ground wire on the roof unit. Check it... What caused mine...
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:21pm
Where is the ground. I didn’t see one. My thermostat only has three wires to it.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 9:04am
I got my brother in-law to swing by last night.  He is an A/C guy..   of coarse he worked on home 24 volt systems.   We tried jumping the system and looked for bad wires and or grounds.    He said we were at 117 volts topside. So it does have power there.  

Electrical is my Achilles heel.   As I explained to him the trailer runs on either 30 amp or 50 amp.   He says those are both 220 volts.      The trailer is hooked up to 110 volt shore line via an adapter....which as I understand it it is only 15 amps.   So could being connected to 15 amp vs 30 or 50 amps be the problem.

Could That be the problem?????

I’ve read some post that this seems to be more prevalent when hooked to 110volt shore power.  
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 9:46am
Tearless, you are trying to run the propane furnace, right?  

That runs on 12Vdc from your battery and doesn't need shore power to operate if your battery is holding a charge. So, its not related to whether your shore power is connected or not except that you eventually need the converter to be plugged in to maintain battery charge, which a 15A circuit will supply no problem.

Your a/c tech friend is right about 240V for residential air conditioners but not for rPods. Everything in a rPod either runs on 12Vdc or 120Vac. You would not be able to run the rPod a/c on a 15A circuit (20A minimum is required) but that's not an issue for you right now. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>