R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator question
    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 3:48pm
Good afternoon all.  We have always used our pod connected to shore power and never w/ a generator.  I always use a Surge Guard model 44260.  My brother plans on using my pod w/ a generator.  When he plugged the Surge Guard into his generator it indicated an open ground.  

I understand the concept of an open ground but never having used the pod w/ a generator was wondering if this is common and/or how those of you who have used a generator compensate for it.  What are the dangers?
Thanks
Marv-N-Kathy
2015 179 RPod
2016 Chevy Tahoe
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:09pm
Yep. it happens. SH will be along soon and tell you how to fix, I fixed mine with a solution he provided, it involves a grounded plug.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:14pm
Here is post from SH - found it using Advanced Search - better explanation about cause than mine:

Yes, it is simple to make. Go to your local hardware store and purchase a male plug with ground, preferably weather resistant. Take a short piece of wire (10 gauge is best followed by 12 gauge). Fasten one end to the neutral (silver colored) connector, screw or insert depending on your plug. Fasten the other end to the ground (green) connector. Do not connect anything to the third (gold/brass colored) connector. Close the housing and then use a little silicone to seal where the wire would normally go through. You will then have a functional neutral bonding plug for a lot less than Progressive Industries would want to charge.

Plug it into one of the outlets on your generator. Plug your cord into the other outlet (assuming a 2000 watt generator with a dual 15A plug). If you have a 30A outlet, plugging the neutral bonding plug into the 15A outlet should also provide the bonding for the 30A outlet.

I made one. It only took a few minutes (plus time for the silicone plugging the hole to cure). I tried it and it works very well. The reason you need one with a generator is that most generators have a "floating neutral" unlike the power coming from your home's outlets or the post in an RV park. There, the bonding is done at the service panel. The circuit analyzer is expecting bonded neutral and the plug provides this.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:43pm
+1. Thanks for quoting the post. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
IL-Podders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 8:15am
Mike and Stephen, thanks for your help.  I will be passing on the detailed info you provided.
All the best
Marv
Marv-N-Kathy
2015 179 RPod
2016 Chevy Tahoe
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 11:36am
Amazon sells them from about 8 bucks, to 15 bucks. Just search for a bonding plug.  This one is 12 bucks, and it's a good one. It justs plugs into one of the generator 110 outlets, no wires, nothing else needed.  

Southwire Company LLC 44400 Surge Guard Generator Neutral

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 3:29pm
I made one of those, perhaps from Stephen's post.  It was all prompted by the "Check this" thread pinned in the Mods section. 

My Powerboss generator came with a wiring diagram and it showed the safety ground connected to the frame/chassis ground lug.  I then asked a friend of mine that's a retired EE about grounding and functional ground rod depth.  Per his advice, I cut a domestic ground rod long enough to get 18"+ into the ground and made a 10 ga. wire with lugs to make a quick setup grounding kit.  If the ground is dry, I expect to have to wet it with water.  I have tested this setup briefly at home and had no surprises or ill effects.  I have not used it camping. 

Some years back, with a toddler and a pregnant wife, we lost power for a week in a blizzard.  Now, I have all this "stuff" for a repeat and we haven't had 2" of snow since!!! 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply