R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing RPOD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing RPOD
    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:04pm
When winterizing and running antifreeze through lines I was unable to see any fluid (antifreeze) come out of the hot water drain.  Shouldn't I see pink stuff coming out of both low point drains when water pumped is running?
RPODDER
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:20pm
The low point drains should be capped when winterizing with anti-freeze. Not open.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Kanikk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:42pm
Ok, I just ran some antifreeze through the line until it came out of the low point drains so I could make sure that the lines had some protection.  I then capped the low point lines and ran the antifreeze through the lines for the faucets, toilet and shower.  Does that sound right?
RPODDER
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 6:12pm
Yes, if you see red liquid coming out of all your lines, don't forget your outside shower if you have one, then you are protected.  For the past 8 winters (this will be the 9th) I simply use compressed air to blow out the lines.  After that is accomplished a total of 16 oz. RV antifreeze is used on our 177 for the shower drain, 2 sink drains and a little bit on the toilet lid to keep the seal moist.  No leaks no breaks, northern Michigan.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 6:15pm
The lines will fill if capped, they are the low points. I see what you're trying to do. Once you start syphoning AF into lines with water pump, they are going to fill, you should be OK Open your toilet flush valve and make sure you get "pink" there.
Mike Carter
2015 178
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by mcarter

The lines will fill if capped, they are the low points. I see what you're trying to do. Once you start syphoning AF into lines with water pump, they are going to fill, you should be OK Open your toilet flush valve and make sure you get "pink" there.

I don't agree. 

That might be true if you have used compressed air to clear the lines but if you are using the antifreeze method you need to open each low point drain in turn to be sure antifreeze is coming out. Otherwise, there is no way to know that you have forced all the water out of the lines. I use the antifreeze method and there is always a little water that comes out of the low point drains initially after I pump in the antifreeze. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Kanikk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 6:25pm
Saw red/pink come out of all faucets, toilet and indoor and outdoor shower.  As I said, saw pink in cold low point drain but did not see anything coming out of hot low point drain when I turned on the water pump.  I just want to make sure I am not missing something.  ???? If I bypassed the hot water tank (and I did) when running antifreeze through the pump maybe I should not expect to see anything come out of the hot water low drain point.

I appreciate the feedback and patience.
RPODDER
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 6:46pm
If you've bypassed the water heater you should get antifreeze coming out the hot line low point drains as well as the hot water faucets. 

Did you have the cold faucets turned off at the taps when you saw antifreeze coming out or were they open? Take it slow. Turn on only one faucet (hot only and cold only) or low point drain at a time when you winterize. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 7:06am
Here is a link to an excellent winterization video on you tube by a member here. The low point drains are well covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNw5wujU9tI
Mike Carter
2015 178
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 7:56am
Again, just as you initially see water and then a diluted antifreeze solution out of the faucets until you finally get undiluted antifreeze, you can have the same situation at the low points. So, open each of them in turn while the pump is on to clear them of water as well. Also, I don't advise leaving the anode out of the water heater, something could crawl in there. I just loosely reinstall mine.  

Otherwise, good video.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply