R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRefrig fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrig fan
    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:37am
My rp189 has a fan in the refrig vents on the outside of the 189.  Whenever I turn my 12 volt switch is on the fan runs even if the refrig is off.  I think the fan helps with the efficiency but not sure why it would need to run all the time as it is a battery drain?  Any reason I couldn't add a switch to turn it off when not needed?  My understanding in cooler weather isn't needed?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by pedwards2932

My rp189 has a fan in the refrig vents on the outside of the 189.  Whenever I turn my 12 volt switch is on the fan runs even if the refrig is off.  I think the fan helps with the efficiency but not sure why it would need to run all the time as it is a battery drain?  Any reason I couldn't add a switch to turn it off when not needed?  My understanding in cooler weather isn't needed?

No reason not to turn the fan off if the fridge is running cold enough without it. You could put it on a thermostat if you wanted to so you didn't need to remember to switch it on and off. These little 12V single board programmable thermostats are really versatile, I used one to control the temp on my water heater. They have a remote temp sensor you could put inside the fridge compartment. 

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Controller-Display-Thermostat-Waterproof/dp/B07H2X4NNR/ref=pd_sbs_60_1/134-4078344-2225341?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07H2X4NNR&pd_rd_r=4d76c130-99cf-4a13-b9c4-2b861369925c&pd_rd_w=Yi8xf&pd_rd_wg=MaPr3&pf_rd_p=b65ee94e-1282-43fc-a8b1-8bf931f6dfab&pf_rd_r=HP1RQ6NJBXS0CKHM8S18&psc=1&refRID=HP1RQ6NJBXS0CKHM8S18
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 12:45pm
That would work....thanks
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 1:34pm
It sounds like this was not a factory fan which would be connected to a thermal switch on the condenser coil, but perhaps something added in and wired directly to 12V. It should be wired in parallel with the other fan so it too would be controlled by the thermal sensor. That way, it would only turn on when needed instead of running all the time.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 1:39pm
that is entirely possible.  Where is the factory fan located?  this fan is in the outside vents and is hot wired because when I turn the battery on it comes on even if fridge is off.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:21pm
On mine, there is a small fan mounted horizontally above the bottom set of fins. I added fans to the top vent, but wired them in parallel with the original fan.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:04pm
You should be able to trace the fan from the bi-metal switch which is located near to the top of the silver exhaust chimney.  Look for 2 red wires that are attached to the switch and from there go down to where they end, which will be at the muffin fan itself.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:41am

Ok it looks like this fan is an add on that the original owner installed.  I took a picture of the factory fan and the wiring that he used to add the fan.  I also got a pic of the added fan.  First off is the fan needed? Second should I tag the wiring into the factory fan you it isn't on all the time?  My inclination is to do away with the fan altogether.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:56am
Obviously the previous owner felt it was necessary. These absorption fridges vary in how effective they are. That’s because they don’t have excess capacity in hot weather, unlike standard vapor compression fridges, so they stay on continuously. Why not disconnect it but leave it there till you have a chance next summer to see if you really need it?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:07am
Great idea will do, I had thought about just putting a switch on so I could turn it off.  I am not sure how necessary it is since we haven't had real hot weather.  Previous owner was using the rPOD as permanent living quarters while working remotely so he may of had different requirements.  So far it has kept everything cold with no issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>