R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers Forest River parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers Forest River parts
    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 7:33pm
Interesting how this worked,  in removing the channel lip and inserting the outrigger I still could not get all of the outriggers to lay flush to the floor but was able to get two of them them to sync up in the corner where the floor and the frame meet,  the other two are very close to the corner.  I believe this has to do with the "squareness" of the floor to the frame,  seems to be a bit of slop.  As much as I tried to get them to true up to the floor and the corner  it didn't happen.  I am satisfied though that there is significantly more support from the frame to the edge of the trailer body.  Time will tell,  I suppose the squaring up of the floor would be to remove  from the outrigger the end where the screws hold to the frame (in the AL channel) and attach to the floor further down toward the frame  but this would require knowledge where the floor "joists"  are located to attach.  Not exact but this is a hand built vehicle and there will be issues along these lines as we have seen.  Sometimes best effort is all we can hope for.  
John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
Nissan Frontier SL V6 4.0 (2019)
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:26am
Off hand, I would think that if the outrigger is supporting the channel then that would take the wall loads off the cantilevered floor sections and carry them back to the frame. So, it wouldn't be necessary to support the floor itself in that area because there would no longer be any load on it to speak of. You could also increase the gap between the outrigger and the floor at the frame and tighten the bolts to pull up the wall a bit if it was sagging.  But, I might have missed something in the construction video. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:52pm
came to the same conclusion that the load is pushed out to the edge of the floor and transferred across the outrigger to the frame,  I feel more comfortable these are installed,  not terribly difficult to install
cheers and  thanks for the advice.
John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
CoachHobbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CoachHobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 9:53am
Looking to do this on my 2014, 179. No current issues myself but a preventative measure. My question. Are holes predrilled for this or do the holes need to be drilled? Thank you in advance.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by JA-Pod

Interesting how this worked,  in removing the channel lip and inserting the outrigger I still could not get all of the outriggers to lay flush to the floor but was able to get two of them them to sync up in the corner where the floor and the frame meet,  the other two are very close to the corner.  I believe this has to do with the "squareness" of the floor to the frame,  seems to be a bit of slop.  As much as I tried to get them to true up to the floor and the corner  it didn't happen.  I am satisfied though that there is significantly more support from the frame to the edge of the trailer body.  Time will tell,  I suppose the squaring up of the floor would be to remove  from the outrigger the end where the screws hold to the frame (in the AL channel) and attach to the floor further down toward the frame  but this would require knowledge where the floor "joists"  are located to attach.  Not exact but this is a hand built vehicle and there will be issues along these lines as we have seen.  Sometimes best effort is all we can hope for.  

Read your install and like what you've done! The backer plate was a good move on your part! The frame is just too thin...
Lippert did basically the same thing on mine after fixing the frame, adding more steel, they added the outriggers.

Very happy to see you all taking this serious and doing some preventive measures. 

Safe travels all!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:34pm
Hi CoachHobbs,  the holes are predrilled for the outriggers,  for the edge of the outrigger where it connects to the edge of the wall frame i used stainless steel screws instead of what FR sent,  for the screws into the frame as noted I used bolts with lock washers and nuts,  same diameter (1/4 inch) as the screws sent by FR.  Cheers!

John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
SPrins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SPrins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 10:12pm
Just read this thread. I have a 2018 R179 and will be checking to see if it has outriggers or not. I see people order 4 of them; are two used on each side of the camper, or do all 4 go under the slider? How many inches is the spacing between them?
2018 R-Pod 179
2020 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:09pm
Hi   the outriggers are only installed under the slideout since this is where the sagging occurs.  I installed them under the rollers to carry the weight of the slideout,  I installed 4.

John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
ronahue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ronahue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 9:59am
What length screw did you use going up into the floor?

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 1:34pm
one inch,  I used the ones that FR sent with the outriggers,  

John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>