R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing using air compressor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing using air compressor
    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:34pm
I bought a small air compressor for winterization as I plan on periodically using the water in my pod this winter when the weather permits.  Is it necessary to bypass the hot water heater when blowing out the water lines?  I have a 190 and the access to the pump and tank are not that easy.  I assume I can just force air (at 30psi) through both the hot and cold lines without bypassing, but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks.  
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:47pm
My feeling would be that you could do it that way safely if you first drain all the lines by opening the faucets and the low point drains and the water heater by pulling the anode. Otherwise you are likely to just get air bubbling through the water in the water heater tank. As I haven't tried that myself I'm not sure and others might have a different opinion. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:53pm
I have used air for 5 years, I never bypass my water heater, I do however, drain and clean. The only reason to bypass water heater is if injecting anti freeze, you don't want to fill water heater with 6 gals of anti freeze. The lines will blow fine with air.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
vbdomenico View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:56pm
I have already drained everything, including pulling the anode and opening all low points drains and opening all faucets.  I have read instructions advising of using the bypass valve when using air for winterization, but I could not figure out why. I would rather not.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:56pm
Thanks Mcarter
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:29am
Don't forget to open the "emergency" pressure relief valve to make sure the HWH tank is empty and not pressurized before taking the anode out.  The anode plus socket wrench will travel about 20 ft very rapidly and necessitate a trip to the house to change into dry clothing.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:39am
So here is what I did; I opened up both low point drains and the fresh water tank, depressurized the HW tank and removed the anode, after all of the water was drained I hooked up air compressor to blow out plug at 30psi, then opened each valve one at a time until only air came out.

I then did one thing that many of the directions I read online didn't mention - I turned on the water pump while the air was still hooked up.  I was surprised to see how much additional water came out, it appeared to be at least a half gallon.  Is this the water sitting in the pump and the line to the fresh water tank?  I assumed most of this water drained out when the system was depressurized.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:50am
There can be water in FW line and pump, best to run it dry.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by mcarter

I have used air for 5 years, I never bypass my water heater, I do however, drain and clean. The only reason to bypass water heater is if injecting anti freeze, you don't want to fill water heater with 6 gals of anti freeze. The lines will blow fine with air.

Same here.  After blowing out all the lines (don't forget the outdoor shower if applicable!) I do remove the little plastic plug that I replace the anode rod with.  A bit more water typically drains out.  I replace it and open the low-point drains one more time.

I then pour pink stuff into all drains and this time I also poured a gallon into the black tank via the commode.  I think that last part is optional.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by vbdomenico

I then did one thing that many of the directions I read online didn't mention - I turned on the water pump while the air was still hooked up.  I was surprised to see how much additional water came out, it appeared to be at least a half gallon.  Is this the water sitting in the pump and the line to the fresh water tank?  I assumed most of this water drained out when the system was depressurized.
[/QUOTE

That is very interesting as I have used air on our 177 for the 9th year.  Have never thought of turning the water pump on, yet have never suffered a leak or break the following year.  For a few years I never even checked the strainer bowl, then did for about 3 years and would observe 1 or 2 drops inside the bowl.  Have never checked the bowl since.  Seems to work here in northern Michigan where real cold winters

That is very interesting as I have used air on our 177 for the 9th year.  Have never thought of turning the water pump on, yet have never suffered a leak or break the following year.  For a few years I never even checked the strainer bowl, then did for about 3 years and would observe 1 or 2 drops inside the bowl.  Have never checked the bowl since.  Seems to work here in northern Michigan where real cold winters happen.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>