R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooks like we're getting something else . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looks like we're getting something else . . .
    Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 1:46am
Well after many weekend visits to RV dealers, pouring over RV websites and much gnashing of teeth and reviewing/learning about things such as GVW etc., it looks like we might not be going with the Rpod after all. 

The main reason is that in addition to ourselves we have two teenage daughters, so basically four adult sized people to fit into our camping experience and the Rpod just feels too cramped with them (assuming we could even fit them into the bunks, which is questionable). 

Further, although an Rpod easily fits into the rating for our 5000 tow capacity Nissan Xterra, I don't know the correct technical terms here, but it seems that there are overall weight limits in addition to just the tow limits.  So you have to look at the curb weight of the vehicle and the passenger weights and gear weights and axle weight in addition to the unloaded and GVW of the trailer . . . when he added that all together he wasn't comfortable with the Rpod.

So we started looking at tent trailers.  I wasn't very keen on the idea of them at first, but it's an undeniable fact that for a light and easy to tow package you get a lot of space.  We wouldn't have to be breathing down each other's necks and could even bring grandma along with us on trips.  Then it just so happened that someone a few miles away from us has a three year old tent trailer for sale that is the exact one we had been honing in on as the ideal floor plan for us.

We talked it over and decided to just work with a tent trailer for a few years, until the girls are off to college, and then we'll sell the tent trailer and move up into a small travel trailer, either an Rpod or a Casita, which we also fell in love with.

But I'd like to keep visiting the forum, you all are a wealth of info, and down the road, the Rpod may be ours!
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 3:53am
It sounds like you did your homework!  I'm sure you will have many happy times in the tent camper.  Good luck and post some pictures when you get it.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 7:41am
I can only speak for myself, but I would welcome and encourage your continued participation.

I have owned 3 popups in my life and some of my best camping memories were from those times.  I still like them, a TT just works better at this point in my life.  Your logic for going this way is 100% understandable and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine.

Heck, I bet if you had popup questions, a number of us here have probably owned one or two, at some point, and could help you out! 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 10:06pm

Another former pup owner here (actually, its not sold yet).  I fully understand, we had twice as much room in our Coleman @ 26' when open plus it had a slide-out.  I do miss the king beds.  But, there are enough advantages to the 'pod that we are happy with it.

As David said, you are still welcome to hang out and ask questions!  

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply