Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Cook'n With Gas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI must be doing something wrong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I must be doing something wrong
    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:07pm
Hi all, new R-Pod family. New to us, 2014 178. I have now had enough errors trying to cook in the Convection oven. I first tried canned biscuits. The tops browned real quick but the rest of the biscuits were raw. I turned them over and put back in. The other side browned up real dark and the middle was still a bit doughy. I also tried to make both a quiche and a Spanish Omelet and both browned beautifully but were still not set in the middle. Am I doing something wrong? I'm even using lower than designated temperatures. Advice? Should I get out my remote thermometer from the smoker?

I really enjoy cooking and just want to understand this oven better.
Mitch and Laurie Carter....
Still rolling....
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:39pm
Did you get a manual with your convection-microwave?

One thing to remember is that this is a convection oven. That means that you will need to use a temperature about 25 degrees lower than specified in the recipe. Also, it sounds to me like you had it set to broil instead of bake. With convection, the blower in the back of the oven glows but the top coil does not. From the manual:

5. Convection Cooking
The convection cooking can let you cook the food as a traditional oven. Microwave is not used. It is recommended that you should preheat the oven to the appropriate temperature before placing the food in the oven.

There are ten temperatures of convection:  100F, 150F, 250F, 275F, 300F, 325F, 350F, 375F, 400F, 425F.

A. With preheating convection
1) Press the "CONVEC." once, the oven will display "100", "F" and "Conv." indicator will light. (Press the convection temperature key to select the temperature yu need.)
2) Press "Start/+30SEC." button to start preheating.
the temperature figre will flashwhen the oven reaches the temperature set, and buzzer will ring twice to remind you to put food into the oven, then close the door.
3. Press the number keys to set cooking time.
Once the temperature arrives, door must be opened and then closed to imput the cooking time.
4. Press the "Start/+30SEC." button to start cooking.
     "Conv." indicator will flash, ":" will light, and cooking time will count down.

Note: a. Cooking time cannot be input until the preheating temperature arrives.
         b. If the time is not input in 5 minutes, the oven will stop preheating. The buzzer sounds five times and turns back to waiting status.

B. Convection Cooking (Without preheating function)

1) Press the "Convec" once, the oven will display "100", "F" and "Conv." indicator will light. (Press the convection temperature key to select the temperature you need.)
2) Press the "Convec" button to confirm the temperature.
3) Press the number keys to set cooking time.
4) Press the "Start/+30SEC." button to start cooking.
    "Conv." indicator will flash, ":" will light, and cooking time will count down.

The above is on page 11 of the manual. If you did these steps and the tops burned, then I would say it might be a  problem with the convection/microwave.

Stephen
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
MitchReef View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:11pm
I am looking at the Sunbeam User's Manual. It is for 1.1 Cu. Ft. Countertop Microwave Model: SB-22202. My only instructions for convection are on page 10 and apparently are not the same as yours. My Start button is simply a Start button and my temp choices for convection are only 230, 250, 265, 285, 300, 320, 340, 355, 375, 390. The Convection button is marked "Convection" not Convec. Anybody else have any ideas? I did test the setting using a remote read probe thermometer and either the digital thermometer is bad or it was only about 275 in the oven.
Mitch and Laurie Carter....
Still rolling....
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 4:25pm
Did you preheat to the desired temperature before placing the food in the convection oven?
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 10:01pm
Okay. I did not realize you had a Sunbeam instead of a High Pointe convection microwave. I don't have the manual for that. What is the model number for the oven? Do you have the manual? If not, have you searched online for it?

I think this might be the manual based on an old message I found:

I was editing before I saw the update about you having the manual.

Are you using the baking plate (item #6 in the parts listing)? Does yours come with a rack to elevate your baking pan so air can circulate under it? The HighPointe ovens have a rack, but I don't see one listed for the Sunbeam.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply