This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Snow Birding anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow Birding anyone?
    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 3:38pm
Even though I'm no longer an RPodder, I'd still love to catch up with some of ya's as we travel.

So, anyone Snow-Birding this season?

We're still debating between Florida (ya, we're east-coaster's) or doing the drive and going AZ. Both have promise and adventure, yet we're leaning AZ... 

That means skirting southern USA as we approach and more opportunity.

You snow-birding? Where I ask... 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 3:45pm
I'm back from Maine in Florida and if you head south I could try to meet up.  A driveway parking opportunity is yours in Jax.
Julie
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 4:01pm
Love it! Thanks! Not sure FL is our spot, yet diffintely thinking as possible.

There is a lot of National areas (as well as state) to take full advantage of your way. Our man reason would be to hit the Keys and find an area/spot to overnight. May have an answer for that from another group.. Gives FL a leg up!

Here's where AZ takes a giant leap, it ha so many areas to just overnight...

The space between here and there has so much opportunity... Hmm... 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 4:05pm
So what does running the coast of th Gulf like in Winter? 

Any 'Birder's' do it? Never seen New Orleans, especially in winter... it would be on the way to AZ depending how far south I travel..
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 4:37pm
If you want to take I81 south and miss the big cities you are welcome to overnight at my little farm near Hillsville VA, about 10 miles off I81. Its very quiet and I have a 30A outlet if you need one. Not warm this time of year but probably warmer than NH...
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 5:08pm
We don't snowbird just yet.. But we spend a couple of weeks in SC for the holidays.. Couple more years before we do the 3-4 month thing..
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 5:22pm
I lived in Yuma AZ for a number of years. Plenty of SnowBirds, it's like an industry on its own.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:23pm
I don't think of this as snowbird season but I am headed over to the Gulf at the end of the week.  In addition to Florida's well known state parks (known for having no availability) we also have a state forest system that has less known camping--often without much infrastructure and few people (which I have come to love best).  I'll be a week at Tate's Hell State Forest. Apparently they have fire rings and picnic tables but that's all. $9 a night, half that if you're over 65.
Julie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 7:39am
Originally posted by mcarter

I lived in Yuma AZ for a number of years. Plenty of SnowBirds, it's like an industry on its own.

Lived in Yuma, aye? If indeed we head that way I'd be travel south from Joshua Tree on the Cali side of the Colorado River. The Picaho Recreational Area looks very interesting! You familiar with it? 

I'm hoping to get permission to cross the Barry Goldwater Range into Cabeza Prieta and landing in Organ Pipe.. Have you done this?

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 7:42am
If the Covid restrictions at the MX border are lifted by the time you get to AZ try the Gulf of California coast. Puerto Penasco and San Felipe areas are great in the winter/spring and only a couple of hours from the border. Warmer than AZ which can be pretty chilly especially at night. Went down there all the time when we lived in AZ. Kinda like where folks in the SW go to escape all the snowbirds.Tongue
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>