FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPet First Aid Kit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet First Aid Kit
    Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 10:20am

I am wondering what the rest of you carry in the way of first aid supplies/kit, for your pet, when camping?  I've always carried tweezers and antiseptic (for ticks) and a couple of bandages, but that's about it.

What do you think a good pet first aid kit should contain?
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 7:47pm
I carry roll guaze, vet wrap (similar to an ace bandage), adhesive tape,   3/3 gauze, antiseptic ointment, tweezers for ticks, benadryl,  antiseptic solution for the dog. As I am a veterinarian, I also tend to take some anti-diarrhea medication as she does swim in lakes/streams alot.  Your vet could recommend something for your individual dog.   Also, some anti-inflammatory medication as we hike alot---dogs cannot take advil, tylenol, aleve and sometimes even aspirin safely so again, check with your vet for their recommendations.  I use derramax as needed but even it can cause problems if underlying kidney problems exist.  Make sure you use a flea and tick preventative along with monthly heartworm preventative if you are in mosquito prone areas.
Benadryl is great for bee stings along with applying a cold compress. 
I tend to have most of the bandage material also in case  of wounds on ourselves and often am more likely to use the antiseptics on us.Tongue
Heres a link to the aspca pet first aid kit---you can probably modify to suit your needs.  It is also a good idea to have poison control hotline number available.  http://www.aspcaonlinestore.com/index.php?productID=1930
The vinyl gloves (disposable) that we use for dumping black tank are already in trailer. 
We have emergency heat camp blankets that we got at a camping store for our backpacks.
I have several sizes of syringes.  I have to admit that the first time I took the dog to the beach, I brought antibiotics and sedation drugs in case I had to suture her up.  I am less paranoid now. 

Also, most importantly, good identification tags on collar with current phone numbers--cell phones if no one would be home to answer phone.    Microchips can also be help as long as the contact information is current.   May need to carry current rabies vaccination certificate as many parks will say they require it but I have never had one ask for it. 

I am sure there is more that I am not thinking of.  My first aid kit weighs a ton and is only good for car/trailer travel. Not a hiking kit itself.  I have it all in a tupperware container but any water tight container would work.  Gel ice packs are a good idea -- I just keep forgetting to get one.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 6:20am
Thanks Brin!  I appreciate the info and link (and you taking the time to post it).  While I try to anticipate, I worry about what I haven't.  All good info. I had not thought about Benadryl or anti-diarreha. 

I do use Revolution on Dixie 8-9 months out of the year.  I like to give her a "break" from the chemicals during the winter months.  She is microchipped and I use the Home Again service. She has that tag, along with a tag from the AKC (for a small one time fee they provide an 800 number and will try to contact me), and her Vet provided tag.  I have been intending to get another tag made with my cell phone on it, but keep forgetting.Ouch  Also a good idea about the vaccination papers.  Like you, no one has ever asked, but copies would be easy enough to make and tuck in the glove box.  Again, thanks!
sylviablue View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 7:53pm
Thanks so much Brin.  We have two wonderful dogs and want them to be safe on these adventures.
four peas
 Post Reply Post Reply