R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pod People View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Questions
    Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 7:33am
We have the renogy 100 watt suitcase unit and love it. As you said, there are pros and cons to both types.  We have used the suitcase unit for about 3 years and never had issues.  I'm sure someone could steal it, but so far not a problem.
One additional thing to consider when going with solar is your battery choice.  We use 2 6volt golf cart batteries. this gives us the maximum number of recharge cycles and the most amp hours of usage with a "normal" flooded battery. We get them at costco for about $110 each. they add to the tongue weight, but also add to the available power-it's worth the weight.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ricktoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 12:18am
I am also considering the solar option. Most likely will go with a stand alone portable unit or panel and connect a charge controller to the panel. I will then run wires to the batteries for charging. The advantage of portable is you can park the R-pod in the shade and put the panels in the sun. The advantage to roof mounted panels is they charge while you are moving as well as parked.
Just some thoughts.
Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
hiker39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hiker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 12:10am
My 196 is pre wired for a solar option that apparently would be mounted on the roof.   Would those of you who have this option say it's worthwhile or would you prefer to have one of the stand alone portable suitcase solutions?  

Having the pre wired option installed sounds like a nice way to have solar "built in" to the RV so it's easily available and always charging without much thought.  

The stand alone suitcase solution requires setup/breakdown time and storage space.   I imagine I would need to secure it somehow if I leave my campsite unattended.  While this isn't ideal, I can imagine scenarios where it would be nice to have a stand alone solution separate from the RV.  

Cost is also a consideration - What's a fair price to have my RV service dept install a solar option?

Thanks for taking the time.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234