R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod 179 Bathroom Mods - Event Date: 14 Dec 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Rpod 179 Bathroom Mods
    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:32pm
We moved out of a Casita brand travel trailer into a 2017 Rpod 179. Everything is so much better and the storage is fantastic. But OMG! The Rpod 179 bathroom is possibly the worst, even smaller than in our Casita!! Does anyone have some modifications to share? We want to keep a sink, but have removed all the shower features. We are curious about things that have worked well for you, and gave you some better storage options, including removing/replacing any major parts. Thank you.
Thanks for your time - BoRo
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 4:03pm
That's pretty much the opposite of most people. They normally get rid of the sink, and keep the shower. I guess if you don't use the shower, why not. I don't think you can do anything to make it bigger, but maybe somebody else has ideas

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 5:18pm
+1 to mjlrpod. 

The bathroom sink is very small and is in the way for some folks, and besides there is another sink a few feet away in the kitchen. The shower OTOH most folks see as a necessity. That being said, if you want to remove it, go for it, its your rPod. Just know that lack of a shower will be a negative to most buyers if/when you want to sell the trailer, so you might want to keep the hardware so you can reinstall it later. 

At some point, you might want to consider looking at one of the rPods with a larger dry bath as an upgrade.

If you want to increase the storage area in a 179, take a look inside the two ottomans, There is a lot of unused space there. Be careful though, I've found that there is so much storage space in the 179 already that it is pretty easy to overload the trailer, especially if you boon dock and use the water tanks.

Have fun! 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
P-BoRo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 9:43am
Thanks for the replies. Just to put my request for info into perspective, Yeah, we have kept everything we removed from the RPod. When boon-docking, we use nature to bathe. When road traveling we camp where there are bath houses and shower there. We are environmentally aware long-distance hikers. Believe me when I say we are fully aware of how ounces create pounds very quickly. We camp (even in a camper) very conservatively, being only a minor step past minimalism. We choose to keep the sink in the bathroom so we are not bringing “potty hands” to the kitchen area. Eliminating the shower, reduces weight, eliminates conversion hassles from bathroom to shower and back, eliminates after-shower clean-up time, and increases our water tank conservation. Why would you want a shower in a space you can barely turn around in? But anyway, we are on a quest to find creative ways to increase storage for bathroom supplies in the bathroom and maybe introduce somewhere to put a bar of soap? By the way, our bathroom supplies fit in a single shoebox. I’d just like to keep areas compartmentalized as much as is possible. So bathroom supplies are stored in the bathroom, not the pantry or ottoman (yep, we removed one of those too.) We plan to use this camper until the wheels fall off. So no worries about what mods we make to it. It is already as large as we will ever want to go. Personally, I could sell my house and live in this full-time if I could only make the bathroom more user-friendly for just the two of us.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 9:52am
All that sounds good! We kept our bath sink for the same reason you did. We don't seem to have any problems using the shower, its a two minute one gallon-ish water use exercise for us. Each of us has different priorities, and rPods are customizable to meet many needs. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 2:12pm
I added a "sink" (made from an ss funnel) to the head in our 172.  We didn't like washing hands in the food preparation area after using the toilet.  It was never really in the way of using the shower and I mounted the shower head to flow into the sink when not in use as a shower.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 2:36pm
We have two wire mesh baskets screwed to studs in walls with fender washers to hold bathroom stuff in bathroom. I only kept one pocket style holder on door-wall to hold can of air freshener. Picked them both up at Hobby Lobby. One has a towel rail included.
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
P-BoRo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 5:34pm
Thank you all who posted a reply. It doesn’t seem like there are many options to augmenting this small nightmare of a bathroom. So we’ll do the best we can to try to make it work. Too bad the manufacturer didn’t even consider space for a soap dish.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 5:59pm
P-BoRo, that was one of the reasons we sold our 172 and got a slightly bigger trailer with a full bath.  As age crept up, with all it's ugly consequences, I (not my wife as she's quite petite) found that it was just too much trouble using the head.  Since Covid hit, we've given up using the public restrooms and have really appreciated the larger bathroom.  Looks like almost all the new models of rPod have gone to this design.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
P-BoRo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 7:56pm
I can understand your decision. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply