This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Awning for Rpod 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gillbuyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awning for Rpod 180
    Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 9:30am
I am a new to RV camping, and own a 2017 Rpod 180.  Looking for any info on retractable awnings, brands, reviews, costs, etc.  Thanks in advance!
tcj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 10:14am
Our 2018 180 came from the factory with a Thule. The instructions say it's a Thule 5200.  It's 12 feet long.  I'm not sure how far out it extends.  It is fully extended in the photo.  I have a mesh shade tarp I tie across one end or the front if the sun is too hot.  Also the legs make a good place to tie a rope between for a clothes line for drying towels.  I couldn't find a price on the internet.

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 11:07pm
I have the same  model and year R-pod the awning is a Thule Crown might find for in formation https://www.lci1.com/thule-crown.  May i ask what  campground you were at in the picture?
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 7:06am
I also have a Thule awning on my 2019 179.  When I was shopping for my 179 I was told by several dealers that the trailer had to be ordered from the factory with either a Thule awning or a R Dome because the attachment of the Thule awning was installed before the outside skin was installed???  For the R Dome the Keder Rail had to be correctly installed during the construction process.  I don't know how factual this information is but it is what the dealer advised me.  Hope this helps
Jay

179/2019
tcj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:04am
Originally posted by seafans

...May i ask what  campground you were at in the picture?
seafans, the campground is American Forks, a US Forest Service campground on the Naches Ranger District.  It's in Central Washington, up Chinook pass at the junction of the American and Bumping Rivers.
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:28am
JR is correct-the awning and the R dome are different and have different attachment  configurations-they are not interchangeable and cannot be retrofitted easily. Forest River installs one or the other at the factory as they are being built.
If your pod does not have a built in awning, then it has a keder rail which is meant for the Rdome.  Forest River sells the Rdome, as does Pahaque and Dometic.  Occasionally, there will be one for sale on this forum.
The 2017 unit will have the larger(14mm) size keder rail.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 11:06am
Beautiful part of Washington.  When we were still tent camping stayed at the bumping lake campground twice and kayaked the lake.  Have to go back with the trailer. Did take the trailer up to Indian Heaven and camped in one of the campground at the base of Mt. Adams. 
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 12:17pm
TCG I noticed you used the legs for the Thule by setting them on the ground.  I ususally use the mounts on the side of the trailer for the legs.  How do you anchor the legs when you use it the way you have it?  When I use the mounts on the trailer it seems to do pretty good I just occasionally conk my head on them because they are low near the trailer
tcj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 12:49pm
Our 180 doesn't have the mounts on the side for the legs.  I prefer to set them on the ground anyhow. To me they just look like a head knocker fastened to the side of the trailer.  The feet have a couple holes for anchor pins supplied with the awning. I use some large spikes that are a little longer and have a sharp point instead.  They are easier to pound into hard compacted dirt.  I drive them in at an angle so the legs can't be lifted straight up by the wind.  Here's a photo of what came with the trailer.

pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 2:43pm
Thanks....that makes sense....I think I have some tent pegs that will work
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>