Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNorth Padre Island

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Padre Island
    Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 9:56am
Has anyone camped on the beach at Padre Island National Seashore?  We are thinking of trying that out in March/April this year.  Just wanting to know what to expect.  Is it real busy in early to mid March with "Spring Breakers", how is the cell coverage, and what is the mosquito/black flies like that time of year?  Keeping in mind that we are leaving behind in Michigan the white stuff.
Jay

179/2019
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:06am
Hi Jay, I've not been there but I can tell you that many universities have re-arranged their Spring terms this year to eliminate spring break. They don't want students leaving and then coming back with COVID. You might want to check what Texas schools have done, but this year will probably be better than most on that count.
Julie
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:20am
Thanks for the thought it is a good one and maybe beneficial I will check it out  Smile 
Jay

179/2019
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 3:57pm
We have camped at Padre Island before--but it was before the hurricanes.  It WAS a very nice campground -no idea what it is like now. There were  ocean front and second row campsites, showers and potable water available. It had no electrical hookups. There was a dump station for campers only.
I would definitely go back if the campground has been rebuilt/repaired-I know the hurricanes did a massive amount of damage-including destroying the visitor's center.
Better check with them before you make plans
safe travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 5:51pm
Pod People,
Thanks for the heads up...we are looking forward to some place warm in March and we have been doing some investigation of the Padre Island area and it looks like a good place...just wanted to make sure we're not overlooking something basic...we'll have to see what the spring breakers are like this year...again thanks for the reply.
Jay

179/2019
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:35am
Padre Island is my 'end of the gulf' run I'm planning. So I'm also researching quite a bit about it.

Here's the NP site if you don't have it already. http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/camping.htm
And the FB Page with current info (if so interested): http://www.facebook.com/nps.pais

Best I can tell is the Visitor Center is still undergoing repairs. I'm not expecting any of the rinse showers nor flush toilets to be operating. Best I can tell so far is water/dump is available, needs to be confirmed..

I'll be in that area well before you and will post up what I find.

Safe travels!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:59am
Thanks for the information and we are just looking to find out what we can expect because one spring we stopped a the state park on the gulf shores by Port Arthur and ended up staying 1 night "on the beach" however the mosquitoes were so bad we couldn't stay any longer.  We may end up staying longer at Padre Island longer or at least planning to.  If you need their phone number it's 361-949-8068.  Have a safe trip along the coast.  
Jay

179/2019

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by JR

Thanks for the information and we are just looking to find out what we can expect because one spring we stopped a the state park on the gulf shores by Port Arthur and ended up staying 1 night "on the beach" however the mosquitoes were so bad we couldn't stay any longer.  We may end up staying longer at Padre Island longer or at least planning to.  If you need their phone number it's 361-949-8068.  Have a safe trip along the coast.  

Sea Rim State Park? I've picked a hopeful spot on the beach south of Lake Charles (fairly close by). What time of year were you there? Haven't run into coastline mosquitoes yet, then again, never been through the Bayou! 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 2:38pm
Yes it was Sea Rim State Park near Port Arthur and it was back in 2015 and those mosquitoes made a lasting impression on me!! The time of year was mid-March...might of been just a bad year for the mosquitoes.  We had just prior to that stayed on Grand Isle in Louisiana so I don't know what were the causes.    
Jay

179/2019

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 7:15am
Originally posted by JR

Yes it was Sea Rim State Park near Port Arthur and it was back in 2015 and those mosquitoes made a lasting impression on me!! The time of year was mid-March...might of been just a bad year for the mosquitoes.  We had just prior to that stayed on Grand Isle in Louisiana so I don't know what were the causes.    

LOL, I have that one marked out, Grand Isle State Park! What can you tell me about that spot? I hoped to stay also at a COE in Norco while visiting New Orleans (Bonnet Carre Spillway). You know of that one? 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>