R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHard start capacitor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard start capacitor
    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 9:44am
Anyone try this:

The soft start kit is about $300.  This seems like it is working for people that reviewed it?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 6:41pm
Don't waste your money on the SUPCO SPP6. I tried one of those and sure enough, it made the AC harder to start. What works (but is much more expensive) is the MicroAir EasyStart.

The Hard Start is to provide additional punch to get a compressor going. It does nothing to cut the inrush current and make it possible to run the AC on a smaller generator. OTOH, the MicroAir EasyStart does reduce the inrush current needed to  get the compressor spinning. It does not start with a jerk from stand-still to full speed. It ramps up instead with a much gentler start. Look at the MicroAir site for more details.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 7:00pm
Ok just wondering if it worked it seemed that some folks had it work but you never know with google reviews.  Thanks for letting me know....I can save the 10 bucks.  I had seen the MicroAir ($299) so it is more expensive but if the other one doesn't work it isn't worth trying.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 8:22pm
+1 to StephenH. This is a case where you get what you pay for.

You don’t need to spend the $300 for an Easystart if you have a sufficiently large generator, but then there is the weight and cost of that approach. It’s a matter of deciding what you want to do. Pros and cons either way.

Also consider that most campgrounds won’t let you run a generator at night so neither approach fully solves the problem we have in the East of dealing with hot humid summer nights while boondocking.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 8:49am
Weight for me is an issue.  I did some more research and there are several folks making soft start but it seems the best one is the MicroAir and it is UL listed.  I did find one that was about $115 but it really isn't a soft start....it uses a hard start capacitor with a delay on fan start so it reduces the amperage.....I don't suspect the fan is much of a draw compared to the compressor so I doubt it would work either.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 8:15pm
If the fan isn’t on then an inverter generator like the Honda 2k goes into eco mode (low idle) which makes it even harder to start the compressor because the generator needs to spin up to full rpm. You can of course deselect eco mode but then you’re creating more noise and burning more fuel than needed while the a/c is cycled off. The Easystart solves that problem.

If weight is a key issue for you and you really need your generator to run the a/c then Microair is the way to go. Consider the price to be justified based on value provided rather than based on the labor and materials in the device itself.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 11:32am
Saw this at Lowes
It is $850 weight right at 60 lbs which is fairly light for the output.  Only down side I saw was 4.5 hour run time but that was as 1/2 load....run wattage is 2300 so I am guessing that half load is 1150 watt.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 11:43am
This one weighs a bit more, but I know the Generac brand. It is electric start also, which is quite handy. I would consider it instead. I opted for a dual-fuel Firman generator. That way, I don't need to carry flamable gasoline separately.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 11:49am
I think the weight on that woulld get me. 109 lbs in and out of the car would be a bit much. 60lbs I could handle. Plus I am close to maxed out with my trailer and TV.  I would suspect if the RV craze continues there will be more 30 amp inverters available.  I know Craftsman doesn't build anything just puts the name on it so I am not sure who builds it.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 7:05pm
Weight is your friend when it comes to a generator’s capability to start the a/c. It’s the rotating mass of the engine that provides the stored energy to get the compressor going. A lightweight generator with a high electrical power rating won’t have the rotating mass required so it’s rating probably just specsmanship on the part of the manufacturer. If you want the lowest weight while still getting reliable starts get an Easystart and a Honda 2.2k or similar rated generator. That combo is going to be very hard to beat.

+1 to StephenH’s recommendation to get or convert a generator to run on propane. You already have propane on board so not carrying gasoline is a weight savings in itself, not to mention the reduction in complexity. I converted my Honda to propane when I bought it and have never run it on anything else since. Much cleaner burning and no gummed up carb.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>