R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossible replacement for the A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible replacement for the A/C
    Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by techntrek

David, you must have had the A/C from the first batch, with no wall control.  Later models allowed you to leave the fan "on", which we do now (someone did figure out how to make the older A/C do the same).  The compressor kicking on still wakes me up half the time, vibrating the whole 'pod like a drum.  So from a sleep quality standpoint there is no question.

From a $ standpoint, the best option is to leave things as they are, no real "payback" is possible.  We spend minimum 20 or so days per year in it, and up to 30, so added comfort for a whole month out of the year is an argument for doing it.

I do think I'll order one for the house first so I can play with the pieces on the 'pod and see how it operates in real life up on the wall of my house.
Totally understand about the "sleep quality" factor - it sounds like you camp about as much as I do.  A month without sleep is not good and takes away a percentage of the camping enjoyment.  Yes, although mine was a 2010 model, it did not have the fan option.  Drum - YES!  0db of sound to 150db (just kidding).  Dometic must be doing something different, as the new one (Coleman) has the controls on the unit and is not near as loud - compressor on or off.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 8:53am
Quick update, I've continued my research on mini-splits.  I found a Mitsubishi model rated at 26 SEER, claiming 160 watts with 2800 btu output on low, which is about 40% less energy than the Sanyo for only 6.6% less btus.  Big downside, it requires 208-240 V AC.  If I can find a small 240 V inverter (I've never seen one) it might be better for off-grid use.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 11:46am
To dig up this old thread on split-type a/c:

Last year we met a couple who had just bought a brand new Airstream.  The guy mentioned that when he was researching RVs he saw that there were RV-specific split-type a/c available now.  When we got back home, we tried to research that but didn't find any info on ones designed specifically for RV-ing.  Does anyone know anything about these new RV units?

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 11:10pm
Hadn't heard of them, but now I'm going to have to find out!  Getting ready to order one of those Mitsubishis I mentioned earlier on this thread, will have it installed by spring.
XJ2202009 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 12:18am
my  neighbor had one of these installed in his garage, I believe it was the sanyo, even when the compressor kicks on, is only as loud as a regular window fan.  I just got my 176t and was shocked how loud that ac is.  when the furnace is being used it kicks the fan on the ceiling too, and even that is louder than the tv at 3/4 volume.  is there anyway I can just run the furnace without running the ac fan?

Things I have noticed:  FYI...

there is a 2amp consumption at all times, I think (power converter, battery charger, all appliances even turned off consume some power.
when the ac fan turns on it goes between 6 and 7 amps. jumps by 4 amps, even at low speed this blows harder than a central ac blower. 
the ac on low jumps to 12amps
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 5:02pm
  On the thermostat on the wall, go to the fan setting and turn the fan off. I did the same thing a year ago.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
XJ2202009 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Goose

On the thermostat on the wall, go to the fan setting and turn the fan off. I did the same thing a year ago.   Goose

Thanks for the tip, I have that single zone digital thermostat, the only options are, lo hi, auto.  based on the manual there are two options of thermostats.
 I set it to low so that should atleast help.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 9:28pm

I found two more possible replacements.  Like the Mini-splits they would have to be mounted on the tongue, but these are pretty small and light.  And they don't need anything mounted inside, just two holes in the side for air in/out.  Not too terribly expensive, about the same as a standard RV A/C.  Provides heat, too.

After looking around at the specs I noticed they even mention "small RVs" as one possible use for these.

http://www.climaterightair.com/cr-2550

http://www.climaterightair.com/cr-7000

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 8:15am
Originally posted by techntrek

I found two more possible replacements.  Like the Mini-splits they would have to be mounted on the tongue, but these are pretty small and light.  And they don't need anything mounted inside, just two holes in the side for air in/out.  Not too terribly expensive, about the same as a standard RV A/C.  Provides heat, too.

After looking around at the specs I noticed they even mention "small RVs" as one possible use for these.

http://www.climaterightair.com/cr-2550

http://www.climaterightair.com/cr-7000

I used to have have a home built trailer that had about half the volume of the RPOD and I cooled it with a 5000 btu window air conditioner. These look like window units with a vent and return plenum added. I wonder if someone could mod a window unit?  Also did you get an AC with your trailer? If you did how did you plan on filling the hole from removing the old one?
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 2:31pm
Yes, I have an A/C, but the noise is my biggest complaint about the pod. The one on my popup was much quieter. The hole is a standard vent/fan size so it will be easy to replace it with a vent.

Modifying a regular window A/C is an interesting idea. The hardest part would be sealing up the "inside" part since it cant get wet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>