R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPossible replacement for the A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible replacement for the A/C
    Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 5:13pm
I just took apart an old window unit I had.The control section its the only part that wound have to be sealed.I think that I would mount them in a waterproof electrical box.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 12:35pm
Hmm, something to ponder.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
XJ2202009 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 2:41pm
I would just mount them in a plastic case inside the camper and run the wires out
2011 176T
06 Trailblazer ext ls, 4x4
wife, 4 kids
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 2:49pm

We don't have air in our house, but run a window unit in the bedroom.  This morning I hooked up the Pod to the generator and turned on the air.  It is quieter than the window unit, and the compressor starts with no thump or bump.  I can tell when it is running, but just from a sound change.

I also wanted to troubleshoot the television.  I haven't gotten reception the last three trips and knew I would get reception at home.  The first two trys no go.  Then I pushed the little light that used to be lit on the back of the cabinet to tell me that the antenna was powered, and it clicked!  A switch!  Then all the stations I could use.  Go figure.  Maybe by the third season I will know how to run this camper...
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
ka9nyn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 4:34pm
My concern, perhaps already addressed: Can this unit/system handle the vibration, etc. from road travel, in the short & long term? It appears to be designed for static installations. Just a thought...
Dave & Rose
RP177 "ECM-Pod"
'08 Dodge RAM quad cab 5.7L 4WD "Rhino (re: F-4 Phantom)"
Chamberlain, SD (Formerly: Rockford, IL)
2010 RP 177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 10:27pm
I would be willing to find out by using a $200 window shaker and reconfiguring it.  Not sure I would want to try with that $600 thing.  But they do suggest using it with a small RV...
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 10:42pm
Has anyone noticed the the vent under the bathroom door? To my knowledge, it doesn't actually serve a purpose (other than access and possibly keeping that space somewhat conditioned?). I wonder if there would be a way to run a duct from a unit mounted on the tongue, under the dinette in the storage space, (assuming yours in the front like mine), and to this vent? Seems like a pretty clean install, and the only thing left to figure out would be how to remove the controls from the unit on the tongue and mount them in the interior.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 7:13am
Originally posted by techntrek

I would be willing to find out by using a $200 window shaker and reconfiguring it.  Not sure I would want to try with that $600 thing.  But they do suggest using it with a small RV...

The only issue with moving the controls is that the thermostat on most window units has a temperature probe that goes in front of the cooling coils. This probe is only about 24 inches long and I don't  know if it can be extended. I looks like a thin copper pipe.

Also just to note. I have had a window unit in my homemade trailer for 4 years with no issue. Also some tent popups and other small commercial trailers have window units in them. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 7:32am
That vent helps to remove any moisture, and to prevent freeze-ups in cold weather.  I've thought about cutting a hole in the floor under there and mounting a biscuit fan, to push fresh air into the cabin during boondocking trips.  Without A/C you have to leave the windows (and vent) cracked to prevent moisture buildup but that is difficult when it rains.  No reason you couldn't do the same for an A/C like you said.  I would use that as the air return and put the cold air output somewhere else, up high.  Maybe use a removeable hose attached to something that would let you use one of the front windows.  That would eliminate the need to make a hole in the exterior where it is visible, so if you sell in the future you could remove the whole thing and you would never know.

Edit:  In my case, with a 171, I might run another pipe underneath and run it up behind the fridge and microwave, venting it from the storage area above the microwave.  Very close to the existing A/C.  However, as a proof of concept I would just use vents through the windows first.  Wouldn't add much extra setup time in camp - but knowing me I would keep that as a permanent solution!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Seanl

The only issue with moving the controls is that the thermostat on most window units has a temperature probe that goes in front of the cooling coils. This probe is only about 24 inches long and I don't  know if it can be extended. I looks like a thin copper pipe.

Since you would still have a return air supply coming from the camper maybe this wouldn't be a problem.  ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>